Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Cash Advance Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Cash Advance Question

So my school closed for a few days last week which delayed my financial aid so I had to get a cash advance of $300 on my PenFed Promise so I could pay rent. I just got the cash but im wondering if:

Since I already had a $400 balance then can I pay $300 so the interest doesn't stack like crazy and have the CA paid off

or

Since I already had a $400 balance that PenFed  will apply my payment to my previous balance and charge me interest everyday

I guess what im asking is if I need to pay the full $700 or if I can do $300 and not get charged everyday. Thanks

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: PenFed Cash Advance Question

@Anonymous wrote:

So my school closed for a few days last week which delayed my financial aid so I had to get a cash advance of $300 on my PenFed Promise so I could pay rent. I just got the cash but im wondering if:

Since I already had a $400 balance then can I pay $300 so the interest doesn't stack like crazy and have the CA paid off

or

Since I already had a $400 balance that PenFed  will apply my payment to my previous balance and charge me interest everyday

I guess what im asking is if I need to pay the full $700 or if I can do $300 and not get charged everyday. Thanks

Simply put, any amount you pay over the minimum is required (by the CARD act) to go towards the highest APR balance first.  Smiley Wink

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/payment-allocated-different-interest-rates-1586.php

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

or

How much interest did you pay?! I'm just curious... cause if I had know about this earlier I would have advice an alternative option lol. It's way cheaper to borrow my way than any other way I've found Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 19
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

or

How much interest did you pay?! I'm just curious... cause if I had know about this earlier I would have advice an alternative option lol. It's way cheaper to borrow my way than any other way I've found Smiley Very Happy

curiouser and curiouser

Message 4 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Its my understanding that if you take money out of your card that the interest starts as soon as you do which has prevented me from trying to do so in first place. On top of that what was mentioned from Uncle B is another factor to consider.
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

or

curiouser and curiouser

I share my secrets seldomly lol. I will tell you the perks though Smiley Very Happy less than 2%, maximum of $1000 but hey, you can borrow as much as you have but that's up to you and whether you'd like to fly under the radar. On top of that, LONGER PAYMENT TIME. I'm talking 6 months at the least. Interesting right? I've learned so much from this forum that I've found very creative things I can do with my credit cards. It's great when you are in a pinch and I would know because I was a college student living on ramen with no job!!!! 

Message 6 of 19
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@elim wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

or

curiouser and curiouser

I share my secrets seldomly lol. I will tell you the perks though Smiley Very Happy less than 2%, maximum of $1000 but hey, you can borrow as much as you have but that's up to you and whether you'd like to fly under the radar. On top of that, LONGER PAYMENT TIME. I'm talking 6 months at the least. Interesting right? I've learned so much from this forum that I've found very creative things I can do with my credit cards. It's great when you are in a pinch and I would know because I was a college student living on ramen with no job!!!! 

As long as it's legal, why not share? 

We're all here to swap 'war stories' and help each other learn better ways to do things, after all.  Smiley Wink

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Perfectly legal but frowned upon. I'm sure my creditor would take my card if they knew what I was up too LOL Its essential a cash advance without the high interest attached. It's similar to MS... except I'm not using it for rewards, points, etc. Just paying am extremely smaller fee for a cash advance.
Message 8 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I wonder how your creditor could not possibly know what you are doing with their card if they would have records of any transactions of said card. Interesting indeedSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well... that's the thing. My transactions are nothing strange Smiley Happy I'll put it this way, I could simply buy a TV with my card and sell it and make money. My creditor can only see that I bought the TV but will never know I sold it Smiley Happy it's something along those lines LOL and stop with the questions haha IT'S MY SECRET LOL
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.