Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Cash Question...

tag
Andy77
Valued Contributor

PenFed Cash Question...

I have the PenFed Amex with 20k limit.  My balance is 80.00 and I don't use the card much at all anymore.  I want to use it more, but I dont have anything I want to buy.

I use my Citi AA Mastercard to pay my 1500 rent everymonth and I pay it off right away.  

I can't use the Amex to pay my rent so I wanted to throw out this question.... How would it look if every once in a while..not every month, I took out 1600 bucks and used that to pay my rent, then paid off the card ?

I just don't want them to not give me anymore CLI's because I don't use the card much anymore, 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Mailak
Frequent Contributor

Re: PenFed Cash Question...

I can't imagine that cash advances from a credit card look good. Large cash advances in thousands of dollars probably much much worse.

PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards (19.5k), Amex BCE (9k), Chase Sapphire Reserve (30k), Chase Freedom Unlimited (14.5k), Chase Marriott Premier (19k), Discover More (10k)
Message 2 of 5
user5387
Valued Contributor

Penfed has no fees for cash advances, and the 9.99% interest rate kicks in immediately.

So you'd pay some interest, but not a lot, if you took out $1600 via a cash advance.

However, I would avoid doing this for the sole purpose of exercising the card.

I have a Penfed CC with similar terms, but would be uneasy about using it for a cash advance.  If I really needed to do such an advance, I'd use a different CU card.

Message 3 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I have two penfeds that I don't use for months on end.  Of course, they don't give me CLIs either but OP, why do you care about that?  Paying even a small amount of interest to get a CLI on a card you don't use seems a waste

Message 4 of 5
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Do they not have another product that would be useful to you?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.