Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Cash Rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Cash Rewards

Just had my first full month using the PenFed Gas Visa and my rewards for November = $82.00.

Not bad for just using their card and certainly better than any other card in my portfolio!  

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DI
Super Contributor

Re: PenFed Cash Rewards

@Anonymous wrote:

Just had my first full month using the PenFed Gas Visa and my rewards for November = $82.00.

Not bad for just using their card and certainly better than any other card in my portfolio!  

Did you charge $1640 in one month on the card?  You did great!

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Something like that. I actually haven't moved everything I plan to move over to this card yet. I probably spend and PIF ~$3K per month on CC with about $2K going to this card and another $1K going to my USAA Amex which I only use at Costco.

I'll take $100 back a month from PenFed and roughly $40 back from my USAA Amex + Costco Executive Membership. All-in-all that's about $1200 + $480 - $100 (Costco membership) or $1580 per year just for using these cards! 

Message 3 of 10
pattycake
Established Contributor

I want PenFed's AMEX card.
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 4 of 10
DI
Super Contributor

@pattycake wrote:

It charges a fee.  PenFed Cash Rewards is the best card.  I didn't use mine during the month of November.  I wont make it my primary card until PenFed give me a CLI.  Right now BOA, AMEX and Discover are my primary cards.  

Message 5 of 10
karbon86
Valued Member

@DI wrote:

@pattycake wrote:

It charges a fee.  PenFed Cash Rewards is the best card.  I didn't use mine during the month of November.  I wont make it my primary card until PenFed give me a CLI.  Right now BOA, AMEX and Discover are my primary cards.  

How long have you had it?  Penfed changed their CLI policy to 1 year at the beginning of the year.  I love this card though.  Almost 700 cash back this year and not a cent paid to them for interest.  I have a enough of a limit with them that I don't come close.  Amex blue cash is my backup ifit gets stolen/lost. I also have a discover more for 5% at restaurants when it's the current promotion.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I usually don't get my cash back for about half of my gas purchases using the Penfed card. I got tired of calling them to get it sorted out. My Schwab card gives 2% back on everyting without the problems Penfed is plagued with.
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I usually don't get my cash back for about half of my gas purchases using the Penfed card. I got tired of calling them to get it sorted out. My Schwab card gives 2% back on everyting without the problems Penfed is plagued with.
I tracked all my purchases last month and I received cash back on 100% of what I expected. Not sure why you wouldn't - are you paying at the pump? 

Message 8 of 10
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@karbon86 wrote:

How long have you had it?  Penfed changed their CLI policy to 1 year at the beginning of the year.  I love this card though.  Almost 700 cash back this year and not a cent paid to them for interest.  I have a enough of a limit with them that I don't come close.  Amex blue cash is my backup ifit gets stolen/lost. I also have a discover more for 5% at restaurants when it's the current promotion.

Right now, Discover has groceries as their 5% promotion. We use the PenFed for gas & groceries, once we've met Discover's upper limit on their 5% for groceries. Next quarter, Discover's 5% is hotels, airlines, & ...something else.

This is our preference:

We maximize the Discover 5% when we can...

PenFed for gas and groceries...

AmEx Delta Skymiles for the bulk of what we do...

To us (we travel a lot), it seems we maximize rewards (other than the 5% & 2%) when we utilize them as airline miles.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've had this problem only when I buy gas at "no-name" stations. One such station, for example, bills as "XXXX REALTY CORP", so it's not surprising that PenFed rebated my purchases at this station at its 1.25% base rate.  

After I switched my business to brand-name stations, this problem went away.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.