Regular Contributor
idmd

PenFed Cash Rewards

Just had my first full month using the PenFed Gas Visa and my rewards for November = $82.00.

Not bad for just using their card and certainly better than any other card in my portfolio!  

Super Contributor
DI

Re: PenFed Cash Rewards

idmd wrote:

Just had my first full month using the PenFed Gas Visa and my rewards for November = $82.00.

Not bad for just using their card and certainly better than any other card in my portfolio!  

Did you charge $1640 in one month on the card?  You did great!

Regular Contributor
idmd

Something like that. I actually haven't moved everything I plan to move over to this card yet. I probably spend and PIF ~$3K per month on CC with about $2K going to this card and another $1K going to my USAA Amex which I only use at Costco.

I'll take $100 back a month from PenFed and roughly $40 back from my USAA Amex + Costco Executive Membership. All-in-all that's about $1200 + $480 - $100 (Costco membership) or $1580 per year just for using these cards! 

Established Contributor
pattycake

I want PenFed's AMEX card.
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Super Contributor
DI

pattycake wrote:

It charges a fee.  PenFed Cash Rewards is the best card.  I didn't use mine during the month of November.  I wont make it my primary card until PenFed give me a CLI.  Right now BOA, AMEX and Discover are my primary cards.  

Valued Member
karbon86

DI wrote:

pattycake wrote:

It charges a fee.  PenFed Cash Rewards is the best card.  I didn't use mine during the month of November.  I wont make it my primary card until PenFed give me a CLI.  Right now BOA, AMEX and Discover are my primary cards.  

How long have you had it?  Penfed changed their CLI policy to 1 year at the beginning of the year.  I love this card though.  Almost 700 cash back this year and not a cent paid to them for interest.  I have a enough of a limit with them that I don't come close.  Amex blue cash is my backup ifit gets stolen/lost. I also have a discover more for 5% at restaurants when it's the current promotion.

Established Member
partsworks

I usually don't get my cash back for about half of my gas purchases using the Penfed card. I got tired of calling them to get it sorted out. My Schwab card gives 2% back on everyting without the problems Penfed is plagued with.
Regular Contributor
idmd

partsworks wrote:
I usually don't get my cash back for about half of my gas purchases using the Penfed card. I got tired of calling them to get it sorted out. My Schwab card gives 2% back on everyting without the problems Penfed is plagued with.
I tracked all my purchases last month and I received cash back on 100% of what I expected. Not sure why you wouldn't - are you paying at the pump? 

Valued Contributor
Jazzzy

karbon86 wrote:

How long have you had it?  Penfed changed their CLI policy to 1 year at the beginning of the year.  I love this card though.  Almost 700 cash back this year and not a cent paid to them for interest.  I have a enough of a limit with them that I don't come close.  Amex blue cash is my backup ifit gets stolen/lost. I also have a discover more for 5% at restaurants when it's the current promotion.

Right now, Discover has groceries as their 5% promotion. We use the PenFed for gas & groceries, once we've met Discover's upper limit on their 5% for groceries. Next quarter, Discover's 5% is hotels, airlines, & ...something else.

This is our preference:

We maximize the Discover 5% when we can...

PenFed for gas and groceries...

AmEx Delta Skymiles for the bulk of what we do...

To us (we travel a lot), it seems we maximize rewards (other than the 5% & 2%) when we utilize them as airline miles.

Regular Contributor
JimB

partsworks wrote:

I've had this problem only when I buy gas at "no-name" stations. One such station, for example, bills as "XXXX REALTY CORP", so it's not surprising that PenFed rebated my purchases at this station at its 1.25% base rate.  

After I switched my business to brand-name stations, this problem went away.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}