Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Cashback Rewards Visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed Cashback Rewards Visa

@drkaje wrote:

PenFed does a hard pull when you ask for membership. IIRC, most apply for the card when joining to avoid a second pull.

Searching whogavemecredit to see how your profile matches up against thiose who were approved is always an option.

It's a great product, just hard to get without really excellent credit. I'm not saying don't apply, LOL!

I did a search for "PenFed" here: http://www.whogavemecredit.com/index.php?page=search.php&srch=name

Then I did a Ctrl+F search for "Cash Rewards" and it looks like a lot of people with scores in the high 600's/low 700's were accepted.  Maybe I do have a shot Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was just recently approved for a PenFed Visa Platinum Card with a $20K limit.  I joined PenFed online last week by joining Voices for America's Troops and since I knew they'd do a hard pull I went ahead and applied for this card.  It was pending for a couple of days and then they sent me an electronic message saying, "Additional Income for Consideration."  I added my fiance's income and they required that he sign as a joint owner/guarantor - at this point we were able to request the credit line and we put in for $20K..  We sent the paperwork back via email and the next day it was approved for $20K.  The card is on its way and is also showing up on my accounts page.  So far, they haven't requested any income verification, but I'm ready just in case they do.

They pulled EQ (EQ FICO was at 710 back in late July/early August).  I was worried that they'd deny me because just two weeks ago, I had an inquiry with Citi and got issued a $10,900 limit card (the card isn't showing on my CR's yet).  On top of that my NFCU inquiry from this past April was there too when I joined & applied for my $10K Cash Rewards card.  I think I'll be gardening for a while now that I have this card. Smiley Happy

Good luck if you decide to pull the trigger!  It's definitely worth it to have this card!

Message 12 of 22
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

So I'm considering apping for the PenFed gas card but in order to join I would have to sign up for either the "National Military Family Association" or "Voices For America's Troops," which are $20, and $15 one-time non-refundable fee's respectively.  Obviously the fee would be worth it if I get accepted for the PenFed card, but if not, i would have essentially paid $15 for a HP.

Does anyone know a way around this?  Or, does anyone know how picky they are about the 5% gas card?  

Read around --lots of info here on this.

You have to join something. Do they still have the American Red Cross as a joining option?

I did the NMFA as a one-time deal. I figured that if I could help a kid with a parent on active duty go to summer camp or something, it was worth it.

This is a hard card to get. They want an established history, almost no reported debt, not many recently opened accounts, and very very few inquiries on Equifax. If you're self-employed or have highly variable income, be prepared for a long battle of proving financial worth.

Note: yes, there are exceptions to the above, but they are few and far between.

They don't show it as a direct option, but it's still in the list.

https://www.penfed.org/howToJoin/overview.asp

American Red Cross

Employees and Volunteers.

A volunteer is defined as anyone who provides wealth wisdom, or work. Wealth can include a blood donation or a financial donation.

The minimum donation to the Red Cross is $10.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was just recently approved for a PenFed Visa Platinum Card with a $20K limit.  I joined PenFed online last week by joining Voices for America's Troops and since I knew they'd do a hard pull I went ahead and applied for this card.  It was pending for a couple of days and then they sent me an electronic message saying, "Additional Income for Consideration."  I added my fiance's income and they required that he sign as a joint owner/guarantor - at this point we were able to request the credit line and we put in for $20K..  We sent the paperwork back via email and the next day it was approved for $20K.  The card is on its way and is also showing up on my accounts page.  So far, they haven't requested any income verification, but I'm ready just in case they do.

They pulled EQ (EQ FICO was at 710 back in late July/early August).  I was worried that they'd deny me because just two weeks ago, I had an inquiry with Citi and got issued a $10,900 limit card (the card isn't showing on my CR's yet).  On top of that my NFCU inquiry from this past April was there too when I joined & applied for my $10K Cash Rewards card.  I think I'll be gardening for a while now that I have this card. Smiley Happy

Good luck if you decide to pull the trigger!  It's definitely worth it to have this card!

Congrats!

I'm currently a college student and I've only worked at my current job for about 8 months so the only proof of income I have is pay stubs.  I've read that PenFed doesn't want/accept pay stubs as proof of income.  Do you think I'll have a problem getting accepted?

Message 14 of 22
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

...I'm currently a college student and I've only worked at my current job for about 8 months so the only proof of income I have is pay stubs.  I've read that PenFed doesn't want/accept pay stubs as proof of income.  Do you think I'll have a problem getting accepted?

I don't know about the pay stub issue, but how long is your credit history (oldest account reporting), and what is your AAoA (average age of accounts), if you know it?

If you are of traditional college age (18-23), as opposed to someone going back later in life, that might be a problem there, because PenFed likes to see established clean history for the gas card.

Anyone here successful in getting the gas card when they were still in their early 20's or so, i.e., short history?

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as I know my oldest account is a student loan from...

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

...I'm currently a college student and I've only worked at my current job for about 8 months so the only proof of income I have is pay stubs.  I've read that PenFed doesn't want/accept pay stubs as proof of income.  Do you think I'll have a problem getting accepted?

I don't know about the pay stub issue, but how long is your credit history (oldest account reporting), and what is your AAoA (average age of accounts), if you know it?

If you are of traditional college age (18-23), as opposed to someone going back later in life, that might be a problem there, because PenFed likes to see established clean history for the gas card.

Anyone here successful in getting the gas card when they were still in their early 20's or so, i.e., short history?

As far as I know my oldest account is a student loan from 2007.  Oldest credit card is from 2009 though.  My only  negatives are two 30 day lates on an account that my parents made me an AU on.  Still trying to get those removed.

Message 16 of 22
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: As far as I know my oldest account is a student loan from...

I am not sure what your question is. I am sure they will accept your pay stubs as proof of income. You can always declare additional income in the application and I do not think they ask proof of that. How is you EQ scores and inqs? If you have less than 3 inq's and not may new accounts, you should consider applying for Nordstrom Card. Even if they approve you for store card, after 7 months you can ask upgrade for their Visa Card. It is also a very good card, decent limits and very good customer support.

Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Red1Blue wrote:

I am not sure what your question is. I am sure they will accept your pay stubs as proof of income. You can always declare additional income in the application and I do not think they ask proof of that. How is you EQ scores and inqs? If you have less than 3 inq's and not may new accounts, you should consider applying for Nordstrom Card. Even if they approve you for store card, after 7 months you can ask upgrade for their Visa Card. It is also a very good card, decent limits and very good customer support.

My question was whether or not having proof of income (like income taxes from last year) was an absolute must when apping PenFed.  I thought I read it somewhere on these forums and, if that is the case, I don't want to bother apping because the only proof of income I have are pay stubs from the last 7-8 months.  

I'm confused, how would applying for a Nordstrom Card help me get the PenFed Cash Rewards Visa?  Is the Nordstrom card owned by PenFed?  

Message 18 of 22
drkaje
Senior Contributor

FWIW,

PenFed did not accept student loans as income when I joined two years ago and applied for the card.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drkaje wrote:

FWIW,

PenFed did not accept student loans as income when I joined two years ago and applied for the card.

I don't plan on using student loans as income.  I mentioned student loans because hauling asked what my oldest reporting credit was.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.