cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Checkcard: You have to "apply" for the check card - will this be an inquiry?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Checkcard: You have to "apply" for the check card - will this be an inquiry?

Just spoke to PenFed because I just realized I never received a Check Card after opening my checking account.  Was informed I would have to go online and go to "Forms" and apply for the check card as they "are not automatically sent out and require an application."

Wow, pretty archaic these days....will this result in a hard inquiry?  They pulled to open the account....will I now get another pull to get a checkcard for the account?

I have a $10k CC, checking and savings....but still have to apply for the check card....what is the sense in that?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed Checkcard: You have to "apply" for the check card - will this be an inquiry?

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a $10k CC, checking and savings....but still have to apply for the check card....what is the sense in that? 

None that I can see.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that you had an Alliant CU checking account. If so, then you must also have the check card that comes with it. Why, then, bother with PenFed's check card?
I'm quite satisfied with PenFed's Cash Rewards Visa card - we put all of our grocery & gas purchases on it - but I don't see anything special about PenFed's deposit products. For stashing cash, I much prefer Alliant, HSBC, ING Direct & the Amex high-yield savings account.

Message 2 of 4
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Re: PenFed Checkcard: You have to "apply" for the check card - will this be an inquiry?

With CU's, I constantly apply for somthing like:

BillPay, Online home banking, check card, ATM card, to make my DW join account holder (I laughed so hard, but Addison denied her to be joint account holder on checking account for too many inq.'s on ChexSystem).

Before such application I make sure there is no hard pul.l

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 3 of 4
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

In this case: Application = Form. (It's not a credit app!)

You fill out the form and they send you one. Period! It's no big deal.

I opened a PCR Visa (an app), within two weeks I had my CL increased (an app), I opened a checking account (an app), I obtained a debit card (an app), I opened a MMA (an app), I accepted an offer in the form of a second PCR Visa (an app). During my entire relationship with PenFed I have had ONE HARD INQ and that was at membership time!

BTWThere are two different applications for ATM cards;

ATM Card Application

Check Card Application

Gotta complete the correct form.

Unlike banks with their "by using this card you acceptdefault acceptance contract language with PenFed you complete a form, which contains the contract language, sign it and send it back. I actually think active acceptance is a better method of going about doing things.

I never cease to wonder about the concerns expressed regarding PenFed.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.