Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Credit Card

tag
GreenThumb553
Valued Member

PenFed Credit Card

So, I bit the bullet and applied for the PenFed Visa card. Yikes.

Anyway, at the end of the application, it said that I qualify for up to $8000 CL and to put in how much I want (up to 8K).

Anyone else go through this process?  It also gave me the option for delivery method - regular mail, express, etc.

I'm just wondering if that means I'm approved. Eh...

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed Credit Card

You did not see "Congratulations You Have Been Approved" or something along those lines??

I would call and see if a Rep could tell you.

But, based on what you have said, it sure sounds like an approval to me, I don't mean to get your hopes up.

I wish you the Best of Luck!!!

Let us know the outcome.

If you dont mind me asking which CB did they pull and what state are you in.

Message 2 of 33
GreenThumb553
Valued Member

No, no instant approval. It was kind of weird. I have read mixed posts about PenFed. One of my friend's had a 598 - EQ score, and she got approved with a 10K CL through PenFed.

I read a really long thread through this site, and it seems as though they're very picky. I guess I'll find out. Smiley Happy

I'm in NYS, and I believe they pull EQ.  I'll know more tomorrow when it hits. Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you not call them? The suspense would be killing me!!!

Thats crazzzzzy your friend got a 10k CL with a 598 Smiley Surprised

I hope you get the Card, I'll be looking forward to seeing your post saying "Yay, I have been APPROVED!!!!" or something along those lines LOL.

Message 4 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Wow, it sounds like an approval to me. They're saying that you're good for up to $8K, and how much of that do you want?

At any rate, you've already taken the hit, so I'd certainly hit "accept" or whatever the option is.

Early congratulations! A good card to have with gas at $4/ gal.  Smiley Tongue

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 5 of 33
GreenThumb553
Valued Member

Thanks, everyone!!! I want to call them, but I'm a super chicken!! hahahaha.

I will certainly let you guys know.  I have 2 old collection accounts on my EQ, but they are paid in full and ready to fall off. I have 1 inq on my EQ, too.

Also, the scary part is that I have 2 student loans that were 90 days late at some point back in 2006. Smiley Sad 

Hopefully, they'll see that I have good credit history with Toyota Motors (my lease), and a couple crap credit cards with doodie limits. Smiley Very Happy

I'll post more when I know. If I get declined, that will suck, but alas, it was worth trying. Smiley Happy

We'll see!

Message 6 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sarahscott1561 wrote:

Thanks, everyone!!! I want to call them, but I'm a super chicken!! hahahaha. HAHA, thats tooo funny, I've been there too, I know the feeling.

I will certainly let you guys know.  I have 2 old collection accounts on my EQ, but they are paid in full and ready to fall off. I have 1 inq on my EQ, too. The older they are the better (so to speak) That should help your score once they fall off.

Also, the scary part is that I have 2 student loans that were 90 days late at some point back in 2006. Smiley Sad  Smiley Sad

Hopefully, they'll see that I have good credit history with Toyota Motors (my lease), and a couple crap credit cards with doodie limits. Smiley Very Happy Well, like HTSU said, it sure does sound like an approval.

I'll post more when I know. If I get declined, that will suck, but alas, it was worth trying. Smiley Happy I agree 100%, it will suck, but was worth a try.

We'll see!

Message 7 of 33
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@sarahscott1561 wrote:

Thanks, everyone!!! I want to call them, but I'm a super chicken!! hahahaha.

I will certainly let you guys know.  I have 2 old collection accounts on my EQ, but they are paid in full and ready to fall off. I have 1 inq on my EQ, too.

Hope you get good news soon.

Otherwise, don't app for anything until the collections are off. It's like going on a blind date with greasy hair. Smiley Wink You always want to get your reports in the best shape possible before apping. You get better deals that way, and you don't have an asterisk attached to your account if you do get accepted. (I don't know that that happens, but I'd sure brood about it.)

One EQ inq shouldn't frighten them, even PenFed.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 33
aftermath
Established Contributor

I hate to rain on your party but, everyone who applies for a Penfed CC get's to the screen where it shows what limit they would approve you for IF you are approved.

My application told me that I was eligible for up to $10,000 (self populated by Penfed's system).

I was denied.

I tried to recon... denied.

Reason?   A 5 year old CO.

The underwriter told me that ANY CO, paid or unpaid results in an immediate denial.

American Express Blue Cash Everyday $6600
Barclays US Airways Premier World Mastercard $14500
Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000
Chase Freedom Visa $1000
Chase United Explorer $8500
Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select Visa Signature $7500
Citi ThankYou Premier World Mastercard $7500
Message 9 of 33
GreenThumb553
Valued Member

Well, that's doodie.

There ya have it, I guess. Smiley Happy

I'll post when I know for sure, but like I said, my friend just recently applied...got the same message I did and she got approved with a 10K CL with a lower score then me.

Not sure if it will fly with me, but there's always hoping... Smiley Happy 

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.