Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Defender American Express

tag
CS800
Super Contributor

PenFed Defender American Express

Was browsing PenFed and saw this card whch seems to be new and very low introductory APR of 6.99 then after 60 months 9.99. At least one member need to be active/reserve/guard/ or retired status. Offers 1.5% cashback (no limit) on purchases.

• You or your (co-applicant) must be in an active military service status, a member of the Reserves or National Guard or retired from such service to qualify for this product.
  • 1.5% cash back on all purchases - no limit to the rewards you can earn
  • No fees of any kind
  • Summary of Terms (PDF)

Looks like a good card to have. The Cash Reward one offers 5% on gas but 0.25% for everything else.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
CS800
Super Contributor

Re: PenFed Defender American Express

Message 2 of 8
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@CS800 wrote:

Was browsing PenFed and saw this card whch seems to be new and very low introductory APR of 6.99 then after 60 months 9.99. At least one member need to be active/reserve/guard/ or retired status. Offers 1.5% cashback (no limit) on purchases.

• You or your (co-applicant) must be in an active military service status, a member of the Reserves or National Guard or retired from such service to qualify for this product.
  • 1.5% cash back on all purchases - no limit to the rewards you can earn
  • No fees of any kind
  • Summary of Terms (PDF)

Looks like a good card to have. The Cash Reward one offers 5% on gas but 0.25% for everything else.

Looks good, but lets a lot of people out since it's only for active or retired military -- that's even stricter than Navy, which allows family, etc. to join.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 3 of 8
mr_postman
Regular Contributor

I dont know if i qualify Im not in active duty status or retired but i do have a retired military id due to disability while in the service. waiting for the Penfed to respond if i can app for this.

Message 4 of 8
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

thats a really good card for no AF. Its CB but i think the closest thing NFCU has to compare is the Flagship. Which has a 49 AF and a not so great point criteria.. I checked whogavemecredit to see if anyone posted anything about it but i guess its too new. I hope the underwriting isnt as strict as their other cards Smiley Happy

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 5 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

This card is tempting but Penfed never showed me any love. I like the no AF and 1.5% cashback.

Message 6 of 8
mxp114
Valued Contributor

1.5% is great, but the card design is ugly.

Message 7 of 8
CS800
Super Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

1.5% is great, but the card design is ugly.

I could have mistaken this card for my PSECU debit card Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.