Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Gas Card App

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Gas Card App

I just joined PenFed and I'm looking at the gas card. I have a solid background and think I'll do fine in apping for it. As of now I'm the only one who applied to PenFed. I'm the bread winner in the family and my wife is home with the kids and I wasn't sure if we should app for the gas card together or should I do it be myself. Both of our reports are spotless with +780 FICOs (although she has no income). 

If I apply by myself I assume I can add her as an AU later? I want to maximize my chance of being approved and at the same time she does a lot of driving in an SUV so I'd like her to have a card too. Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to go about applying for this card?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
DI
Super Contributor

Re: PenFed Gas Card App

@Anonymous wrote:

I just joined PenFed and I'm looking at the gas card. I have a solid background and think I'll do fine in apping for it. As of now I'm the only one who applied to PenFed. I'm the bread winner in the family and my wife is home with the kids and I wasn't sure if we should app for the gas card together or should I do it be myself. Both of our reports are spotless with +780 FICOs (although she has no income). 

If I apply by myself I assume I can add her as an AU later? I want to maximize my chance of being approved and at the same time she does a lot of driving in an SUV so I'd like her to have a card too. Anyone have any thoughts on the best way to go about applying for this card?

If it doesn't appear you are overextended and have high income, you shouldn't have any problems getting approve.  Your 780 score is excellent.  

Message 2 of 20
wmarat
Valued Contributor

I have/had similar situation. My DW provides me with opportunity to take care of my family. If I remember properly I put her on application as a joint cardholder, nobody asked her income (but pulled her EQ).
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 3 of 20
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

App for the card individually and make her an AU. Make sure you ask for at least $10K CL an possibly quite a bit higher if you have a significant income.

Message 4 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the advice. I applied with my wife for the PenFed gas card and it's pending. So far there's just one hard inq on Eq for PenFed and hopefully they'll use that for both opening the account and CC.

As a side note I also app'd for the Costco AMEX card yesterday and while that's still pending I don't see any inqs on any reports? I did have an inq from last month on Ex - perhaps they used the same one?

If all works out I'll have my three major cards: USAA World MC, PenFed Visa and Costco AMEX - with my current situation using a combo of these should maximize my cash back/rewards. 

Message 5 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Sounds like you have the perfect combination of cards.

I'm a member of PenFed, and my card is in my name, but my husband is an AU. It doesn't show on his reports, btw.

I'm not even sure if PenFed lets you apply jointly (it's been a while, lol.) I do remember that they only asked for my income, not HHI. I would suggest that she go ahead and become a member in her own right, though. And ideally, she should have credit in her own name as well, whether she's a cubicle rat like the rest of us or running the household. It's not a question of employed or not.

It makes a lot more sense to be AU than joint, anyway. It avoids a lot of potential landmines.

What was last month's EX inq from? Unless it was somehow tied to American Express, I think you still have an inq coming your way. I'm surprised it hasn't shown up already, but possibly they're doing the verification of membership in Costco first before pulling the report.

OT alert: "idmd"? Are you in infectious diseases, may I ask? (I have a daughter in medical school planning to go into ID.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

OT alert: "idmd"? Are you in infectious diseases, may I ask? (I have a daughter in medical school planning to go into ID.)

I guess "idmd" can be broken down into either "id" & "md" or "i" & "dmd"......not an infectious disease doc just a lowly dentist. :smileywink:

Anyway I already applied with my wife and so we'll see how this ends up. Most of her revolving credit is as an AU on my accounts and none of them report to her reports. Her scores are higher than mine (I have some significant education loans) and I'd think they'll likely be helped if she has some more activity on her reports.  

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well PenFed just asked for income verification which I just submitted. Guess that's a good sign.  
Message 8 of 20
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Well PenFed just asked for income verification which I just submitted. Guess that's a good sign.  

That is not surprising since you are a dentist and most likely self-employed or a partner. And yes, it is a very good sign!

Message 9 of 20
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That is not surprising since you are a dentist and most likely self-employed or a partner. And yes, it is a very good sign!

This is what they do when they're deciding how high of a CL to give you. Early congrats!

Be sure to check out their cell phone replacement policy, if you run your Verizon, etc. account through them. And they just wrapped up a killer back-to-school deal with 5% cash back for school-related expense, including computers and software. This 55-year-old bought a Mac laptop on a state sales tax holiday using PenFed and saved the 9% sales tax plus getting 5% of $1400 credited on my next statement. Gotta love 'em.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.