cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Joint Credit Card Application?

tag
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Re: PenFed Joint Credit Card Application?

longtimelurker wrote:

DaveSignal wrote:

ok.... so it seems like this might work. Thank you for the feedback.

As a last question for the responding PenFed members, do you have emv cards?   Did you have to specifically ask for this, or did they send your initial card with emv?

My first card was a Plat Rewards ($20K) with no chip.   I then asked for one with a  chip, and this is where I ran into Penfed processing issues!   It took a long time, and I had to give the same message three times, that I was NOT looking for more credit, merely wanted an EMV chip added to my card.  At that stage, and possibly still, for EMV they issue a new account, close the other, and eventually merge the rewards and history (so it appears as one account).   So I got a new account, with a new card with an EMV chip, also $20K, but both cards remain active (8 months now) and I use both and both report, so I have $40K in credit from them in the first year.

But short answer, yes, they do have EMV cards, and these are the standard "chip & pin with default to chip&sig"  (I have never succeeded in getting it to ask for a PIN, but ohters have)

Thanks lurker, I think that when I do apply I will do it over the phone and make it explicitly clear that I need an emv chip.  I will probably wait until next year, though, which will allow me to improve my reports a bit more and also allow PenFed to get used to issuing their new emv cards.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 11 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.