Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Membership

tag
echoguy32
Valued Member

PenFed Membership

Recently applied for membership at PenFed. I was approved however, I received a Score Watch alert showing a hard inquiry on Equifax! OMG!!! I called the CSR and she stated they do to verify membership. I stated I didn't apply for any products just the membership. She stated they will use this score for two months just in case. I feel like I wasted an inquiry applying for membership. Even though I just got approved for 10k with NFCU, I'm a little skeptical about applying for their cc with my scores.

Should it have been a soft pull? Has anyone else encountered this?

As always thanks!!!
Starting Score: 05/15/2011 TU 565 EQ 562
Current Score (MYFICO): 6/25/2012 TU 670 EQ 660
Wallet: NFCU Visa 15k, Amex Green NPSL, Discover 1.2k, USAA MC 2K, USAA 1.5k
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
cw81
Frequent Contributor

Re: PenFed Membership

That is standard M.O.  for  Penfed  they  will use that  inq for the next 60 days.   They are a very conservative  lender and you will need scores in the mid to high 700s for their credit products. They do not like new accounts or  inqs  within 6 months to  a year  of  applying for their products  or you will be accused of building pyramids,  That said  since they use the same pull  you can use that  to see if you get something  nothing ventured nothing gained.

Message 2 of 10
echoguy32
Valued Member

If I would've known this is the standard, I would have waited until the NFCU began reporting. Oh well, I guess this was a learning experience and hopefully someone can make use of this info on the forums.

Thanks!
Starting Score: 05/15/2011 TU 565 EQ 562
Current Score (MYFICO): 6/25/2012 TU 670 EQ 660
Wallet: NFCU Visa 15k, Amex Green NPSL, Discover 1.2k, USAA MC 2K, USAA 1.5k
Message 3 of 10
cw81
Frequent Contributor

@echoguy32 wrote:
If I would've known this is the standard, I would have waited until the NFCU began reporting. Oh well, I guess this was a learning experience and hopefully someone can make use of this info on the forums.

Thanks!

I am sorry about that but most of the information about Penfed and other lenders is here  on this board or some other boards  you really have to research.  I don't think NFCU reporting would really help you much with  Penfed  either.  It would make you look more like a pyramid builder in their eyes I think.  

At any rate  next time you have your eye on a product from a lender   a little research will  keep you abreast of their practices and what to do.  I  like to be prepared  so when I do  app  i am maximizing my chances of approval.

Message 4 of 10
Guava
Established Contributor

cw81, what is a pyramid builder?

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
vish1
Valued Contributor

@echoguy32 wrote:
Recently applied for membership at PenFed. I was approved however, I received a Score Watch alert showing a hard inquiry on Equifax! OMG!!! I called the CSR and she stated they do to verify membership. I stated I didn't apply for any products just the membership. She stated they will use this score for two months just in case. I feel like I wasted an inquiry applying for membership. Even though I just got approved for 10k with NFCU, I'm a little skeptical about applying for their cc with my scores.

Should it have been a soft pull? Has anyone else encountered this?

As always thanks!!!

With penfed, its always a HP for membership. I was in the mid of the process of applying for membership and stopped and searched here and figured that they will do a HP and dropped the idea to apply for membership as I dun see myself applying for any credit with them soon.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 6 of 10
cw81
Frequent Contributor

@silver0187 wrote:

Do  a search for   pyramiding debt   PENFED's  favorite reason for denial   another term for it is being  "Egyptian"  but  I  don't  know if that is  PC so  I  didn't use that.

It has a few meanings but   normally  if yo are acquiring more credit   while your  debt is not really going down   basically  you are making  your util look good by getting more  cards with higher limits  PENFED   denies you fro pyramding debt. 

Message 7 of 10
DI
Super Contributor

@cw81 wrote:

@silver0187 wrote:

Do  a search for   pyramiding debt   PENFED's  favorite reason for denial   another term for it is being  "Egyptian"  but  I  don't  know if that is  PC so  I  didn't use that.

It has a few meanings but   normally  if yo are acquiring more credit   while your  debt is not really going down   basically  you are making  your util look good by getting more  cards with higher limits  PENFED   denies you fro pyramding debt. 

+1.  That explains it quite well!

Message 8 of 10
creditguy-378
Regular Contributor

whenever you open a bank account they pull checksystems and a cb report that's standard

always use credit wisely and you won't ever feel like you're working just for the task master
Message 9 of 10
Guava
Established Contributor

@DI wrote:

@cw81 wrote:

@silver0187 wrote:

+1.  That explains it quite well!

Thanks for the explanation!

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.