cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Offers...is this a joke? -EDIT: No joke!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Offers...is this a joke? -EDIT: No joke!

So, I got two calls on my cell phone this morning from a weird 800 number. Googled it and see it's PenFed. I haven't called back, but I logged into my account to make sure everything was okay and saw this in my offers:

American Express $45,000.00

VISA Platinum Cash Rewards $45,000.00

PenFed Promise VISA $45,000.00

VISA Gold $45,000.00

Bill Consolidation Loan $25,000.00

New Boat Loan $39,900.00

New Motorcycle Loan $30,000.00

New Motor Home Loan $39,900.00

New Travel Trailer Loan $39,900.00

New Auto Loan $50,000.00

Personal Loan $25,000.00

Thrifty Credit Service $25,000.00

Personal Line Of Credit $25,000.00

Used Boat Loan $39,900.00

Used Motorcycle Loan $30,000.00

Is this a joke? They gave me one heck of time two years back to get their credit card with a measly $2,000 limit. Then they raised it to $5,000. I get offers all the time, but they just changed to include 3 credit card offers with limits at $45k?  WTH?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed Offers...is this a joke?

Everytime I've seen someone with these offers they're set in stone, as in if you see them you're guaranteed to get approved for them.

I'd take them up on whatever it is you want immediately before they disappear.

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel like a $45k credit limit might freak out my other creditors, but I'd really love to get one for $20k.  My highest limit currently is $12k. I wonder if they'd let me accept and tone down that limit just a bit?

Message 3 of 19
DI
Super Contributor

Congrats!  I opened my account July 2009.  I 'm patiently waiting for that type of offer to pop up for me.  I want to have a line of credit included in my portfolio. 

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

DI, I'm pretty sure it was at the 1 year mark that I started receiving offers.  They seem to change every other month or so, maybe quarterly. Not sure. This was the first time I received offers that included credit cards and I sure as heck didn't expect to see these kinds of numbers.

I called back and told them I just missed a few calls and wanted to be sure everything was okay with my accounts. The woman told me it was their outbound department calling about some offers. First she offered me a car loan, but I don't need that. I got a great 1.9% deal on my new accord already so she then offered me their new amex that has a great reward structure actually. 5 points for airfare, 3 points for dining out which I really love because we dine out frequently and I don't get much for that on my other cards and 1 point per dollar on everything else,I believe.  20,000 bonus points after spending $650. I took it but when she asked me if I wanted the full $45k, I told her it was excessive for my usage and $20-25k range would be great because i don't like to go over 50% of my CL even though I typically pay in full, or a max of one month. She read me some info., etc. and we hung up. I checked my account and it says APPROVED and for $25k.  I'm a happy camper. I'm not sure what made PenFed decide to like me, they were BRUTAL to me for my first credit card app, but it will be nice to have this CL in my portfolio!

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the card. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Message 7 of 19
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

Congrats UpUpUp! 

Message 8 of 19
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Wow.  That's WICKED AWESOME.  Congrats!!!

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I seem to remember hearing that cards over 35 k don't report limits for Fico scoring... Is that right?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.