Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Plat Cash Rewards Visa Rejection Update

tag
homerunstacy
Regular Contributor

PenFed Plat Cash Rewards Visa Rejection Update

Called in to talk to them to get more detail on the denial.  Told CSR my score was 710 today and she spoke with a loan officer.    Even though the automatic reasons somewhat made sense she said the main reason was that I have double of the amount of credit  to me available over the PenFed max  they set for me!!! The magic number she gave me is no more then 16k total of credit.  She stated I have over two times that amount. Something like 36k available to me.  I think that is overestimate of what I really have but it probably isn't that far off. She said even if I reapplied when my 5 - year- old -paid -$115-medical- collection fell off my report and I had low utilization they would still reject me until I close out some cards.   So basically in order for them to consider me for the 7k card I requested I would need to chop off 23k of credit limits.  Smiley Sad  She herself suggested I don't bother with getting a credit card from them and that it probably isn't worth it.

Thoughts? Have you heard of this happening before?  I have 15 cards. I'd probably have to close out 12 to get the 7k PenFed card.  Seems kinda crazy and wouldn't that kill my fico score? What about the age of my accounts?  Maybe if I kept my oldest card plus my Discover card it would be doable.  Also, on the plus side less cards is easier to manage.    If I closed all these cards out wouldn't that send up some red flags when I went for a car loan in a year or two?   I guess there is a such thing as having too much credit and too many cards after all.. at least according to the PenFed folks.    How did they come up with that 16k number too?  Is it based on income?

Anyone know what that magic formula is?   Are they looking at some sort of debt to income scenario if I were to max out my cards?

Thanks

*Bought 1st Home on 7/11/07 thanks to myFICO Forums*

4/2013 - FICO: 685
Payment History: Great
Amt of Debt: Not Good
Length: Good
Amt of New Credit: Good

Goal for 2013: Pay down debt! Cross fingers housing market turns around so I can move further south!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: PenFed Plat Cash Rewards Visa Rejection Update

PenFed is famous (or infamous, depending on how you look at it) for a negative that they call "pyramiding debt." In most cases, like yours, it's not pyramiding debt, it's pyramiding credit. They're apparently afraid that someone will have a bunch of available credit, run up all their cards, and bail.

I suspect that the number they came up with is based on your income, and maybe age, too? Because when I applied, I gave them a personal income of $70K (which was correct, btw) and had around 20 years of credit history, and they keep giving me more and more credit; no idea why. I'm at a total of $30K on CC's and $25K on a line of credit (never used), plus a car loan with about 40% of the original amount to go.

It makes no sense to me that they did this while coming up with figures like $16K for others.

If you don't mind posting, what is your income (personal only; they don't use HHI), how long have you been at your current job/ in your current field, and how old is your credit?

As for closing cards, I sure wouldn't do it in an attempt to please a potential creditor. But there are good arguments for it, including simplifying life, as you mentioned. Your history shouldn't be impacted immediately.

Read fused's Closing Credit Cards. It will help you think through your options and any repercussions. btw, I'd definitely keep your oldest one open, unless it's a horrific fee-factory. Ten years from now, you'll be glad you did.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@homerunstacy wrote:

Called in to talk to them to get more detail on the denial.  Told CSR my score was 710 today and she spoke with a loan officer.    Even though the automatic reasons somewhat made sense she said the main reason was that I have double of the amount of credit  to me available over the PenFed max  they set for me!!! The magic number she gave me is no more then 16k total of credit.  She stated I have over two times that amount. Something like 36k available to me.  I think that is overestimate of what I really have but it probably isn't that far off. She said even if I reapplied when my 5 - year- old -paid -$115-medical- collection fell off my report and I had low utilization they would still reject me until I close out some cards.   So basically in order for them to consider me for the 7k card I requested I would need to chop off 23k of credit limits.  Smiley Sad  She herself suggested I don't bother with getting a credit card from them and that it probably isn't worth it.

Thoughts? Have you heard of this happening before?  I have 15 cards. I'd probably have to close out 12 to get the 7k PenFed card.  Seems kinda crazy and wouldn't that kill my fico score? What about the age of my accounts?  Maybe if I kept my oldest card plus my Discover card it would be doable.  Also, on the plus side less cards is easier to manage.    If I closed all these cards out wouldn't that send up some red flags when I went for a car loan in a year or two?   I guess there is a such thing as having too much credit and too many cards after all.. at least according to the PenFed folks.    How did they come up with that 16k number too?  Is it based on income?

Anyone know what that magic formula is?   Are they looking at some sort of debt to income scenario if I were to max out my cards?

Thanks

Those reasons are bogus.  You got a bad CSR, and a rude one at that, IMO.  I know of people on another board making $40k per year and have a PenFed CC with a $45k limit and well over $100k in overall credit limits.  There's something else about your credit profile they don't like/want/what not....or a combo of factors.  It'll be up to you to figure out if it's worth...well...figuring it out, taking corrective action, and trying again down the road. And definitely DO NOT close any credit lines to please anyone, as HTSU said.  They'd probably come up with another reason to deny you, since that's definitely NOT the real/only reason for this.

Sorry about the experience.  They're usually so not that way. 

Message 3 of 8
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

Total bogus reasons in my view. Stop wasting your time thinking about it. Improve your credit score by paying off your debt and try and reapply a year from now if you must and the PenFed card still thrills you that much.

Don't take it personal! I once was upset because Chase had rejected me for a Freedom card. There was no reason for it. I had a good score (around 760s), very low balances (low util. of 5% or less) and absolutely no bad entries. Average age of accounts was three years then. In their letter, they gave me a bunch of reasons that made no sense (making it sound as if I were a credit risk). I wouldn't be surprised if I reapplied in a year or so to get instant approval. Haha! Then I would take the card and charge one dollar on it every month, making them lose money on it because they have to mail me paper statements every month!

Sometimes, it seems, banks perhaps think that they've given out enough cards of a certain card/rewards model. Then they'll have to slow down their numbers. Other times, they need more customers and then they take it up a notch and approve people they wouldn't normally approve.

To me, it seems as if Discover is currently trying to increase their business. If you don't have a Discover More, this might be a good time! I like it!

Message 4 of 8
homerunstacy
Regular Contributor

Re-read the thread about closing cards. It was a good refresher.  Great info.  I am still not sure what I want to do but I have time to think about it. I won't make a move until my balances are paid off so I don't kill my score.  Maybe even wait until after I get the car loan too. 

Job: 9 years at same hospital as an IT analyst,  in Healthcare IT since 1996. 

Current Salary: 83k 

Mortgage: $1992/mo 

Car Loan History: 4 reporting still - all closed now - all in good standing.  Last one closed a week ago so still showing open on my reports today.

New scores as of today. Looks like I dropped a bit:

TU:  685

Hurting your score1. Collection  2. High credit usage 3. Short account history

Helping your score1. No missed payments2. Old collection

Oldest Card: 9 yrs 7mos/ Avg Age: 4 years  

EQ: 699

Hurting your score  1. Collection   2. Short account history  3. High credit usage
Helping your score  1. No serious delinquency  2. Bills paid on time recently 3. Few missed payments

Oldest Card: 19 years/Avg Age: 4 years

Baddies:

medical collection for $115 / PIF +5 years ago

QVC/GEMB - 30 day late  + 5 years ago

Wallet Cards (have balances reporting - I will have all paid off in full by 2/11)

BOA                                                     Opened  5/1/08  CL 4000
DISCOVER                                       Opened  3/1/09   CL 3000

WFNNB/Z GALLERIE                     Opened  1/12/09 CL  2600  
HOME DEPOT/CBSD                     Opened  7/1/208 CL 5400    

HSBC BANK                                     Opened 7/1/04    CL 1400k  * PIF in November and then going to either fire or SD.

SD Cards/0 Balance:

CAP ONE                   Opened 8/1/03  CL  500  
WFNNB/JL                 Opened 3/1/04  CL 170      

GEMB/QVC                Opened 9/1/05  CL  250   
WEBBANK/DELL      Opened 9/1/05  CL  1200        
WFNNB/CHAD          Opened 9/1/05  CL 100  
WFNNB/LA RED       Opened 10/1/07 CL 300 
SEARS/CBSD           Opened 7/1/08  CL   2600
CHASE                       Opened 4/1/08  CL  1200 
WFNNB/AVE              Opened 12/1/09 CL 500
WFNNB/WEST ELM Opened 8/1/10  CL  4000

If I do a closing spree I  think the keepers would be:

Cap 1 since it is the oldest car

Discover - my fav card for rewards

BOA - also for rewards and I do all my banking with them

Home Depot - Has been great using the 0% promos for big projects like building a deck, etc.  Could ask them to reduce CL to 3k

-----------------

Total  CLs=   $10,500  which gives me room to apply for a penfed card at $5500 later.

What do you think?

Goal for 2013: Pay down debt! Cross fingers housing market turns around so I can move further south!

Message 5 of 8
homerunstacy
Regular Contributor

@wollepopolle wrote:

Total bogus reasons in my view. Stop wasting your time thinking about it. Improve your credit score by paying off your debt and try and reapply a year from now if you must and the PenFed card still thrills you that much.

Don't take it personal! I once was upset because Chase had rejected me for a Freedom card. There was no reason for it. I had a good score (around 760s), very low balances (low util. of 5% or less) and absolutely no bad entries. Average age of accounts was three years then. In their letter, they gave me a bunch of reasons that made no sense (making it sound as if I were a credit risk). I wouldn't be surprised if I reapplied in a year or so to get instant approval. Haha! Then I would take the card and charge one dollar on it every month, making them lose money on it because they have to mail me paper statements every month!

Sometimes, it seems, banks perhaps think that they've given out enough cards of a certain card/rewards model. Then they'll have to slow down their numbers. Other times, they need more customers and then they take it up a notch and approve people they wouldn't normally approve.

To me, it seems as if Discover is currently trying to increase their business. If you don't have a Discover More, this might be a good time! I like it!

Saw your response after I made my last post.  Good food for thought too.    I really am in love with Discover. They have the most amazing customer service.  I end up doing great with the rewards too.  Got $100 statement credit last month and $50 the month prior to that.  Maybe I am overthinking too much... as usual. 

Message 6 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I'd say it's the combo of the two collections, even though they're old, and that you currently have balances reporting on multiple cards. The balances part might be why they're saying "pyramiding debt", even though you're paying them off. (Good for you!)

If you want to try again one day, I'd definitely wait until you have something like a $20 balance on one card reporting. That will help your scores, too.

I think I've read that others have gotten PenFed with older collections, but assuming you're still interested in <2 years when they fall off, you'll be in a stronger position then. Also, your AAoA will have gone over 5 years, if you don't kill time getting a ton of other cards, lol.

I love the breakdown between wallet cards and SD cards --made my day!  Smiley Very Happy

And boy, I wish I'd gone into healthcare IT. That's a great field, and I spend a fair amount of time waiting on the IT people to fix strange access problems for me when our goofy software goobers up again. (I'm in health information/ hospital coding.)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 8
homerunstacy
Regular Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

I'd say it's the combo of the two collections, even though they're old, and that you currently have balances reporting on multiple cards. The balances part might be why they're saying "pyramiding debt", even though you're paying them off. (Good for you!)

If you want to try again one day, I'd definitely wait until you have something like a $20 balance on one card reporting. That will help your scores, too.

I think I've read that others have gotten PenFed with older collections, but assuming you're still interested in <2 years when they fall off, you'll be in a stronger position then. Also, your AAoA will have gone over 5 years, if you don't kill time getting a ton of other cards, lol.

I love the breakdown between wallet cards and SD cards --made my day!  Smiley Very Happy

And boy, I wish I'd gone into healthcare IT. That's a great field, and I spend a fair amount of time waiting on the IT people to fix strange access problems for me when our goofy software goobers up again. (I'm in health information/ hospital coding.)

Thanks for the feedback.  I actually use to support our home coders and assorted abstracting products.  Funny was just working on something for medical necessity checking implementation and playing with ICD9's, CPTs, HCPCS, etc.   I never went to school for IT.  Actually started out as a mental health counselor and was working on my masters in social work in the mid-90's..   Switched in the middle of my masters, dropped out, went into Healthcare IT to work for a major HCIS software company and then everything fell into place after that. It has been a great field.   I am lucky that most of the time I love my job and my employer is very good to me.

Speaking of mental health - having so many cards is kind of driving me crazy even with them in the SD.  Just more to manage in my excel file and have to worry about trying to rotate a balance to keep them active.  At first I really loved playing the numbers game but I probably waste too much time doing it.  I may trim down anyway.  Maybe not go on a total closing spree but getting rid of a few that are really far in the back of the SD.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.