Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature card

For anyone that has this card, what are your opinions about it? I plan to use this as my everyday card.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Hockeyplayrr
Frequent Contributor

Re: PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature card

@Anonymous wrote:

For anyone that has this card, what are your opinions about it? I plan to use this as my everyday card.

I like it.  Points are worth a little less than $0.01 but the site is easy to use.  My only complaint is that they dont show pending transactions.  If you make a lot of little purchases everyday like I do, it becomes hard to keep track.

Credit Scores: Equifax - 744 (Oct FICO) | Experian 736(Oct Fico) | Transunion - 755(Oct Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | CSP - 10.6k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 9.1k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Message 2 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The problem with the card is that you don't get 5%, 3% and 1%, you get somewhat less since they increased the redemption levels.  So DON'T use it as an everyday card, you are getting about 0.8% on the non-reward categories.   For gas it can be about 4.5%, but if gas is important consider the Cash Rewards Penfed card instead, which is a real 5% card with easy redemption (which has some restrictions too if you want to avoid the AF).

I have two of these cards (Plat Rewards Visa Sig) and I only use them abroad as they cover foreign supermarkets.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The problem with the card is that you don't get 5%, 3% and 1%, you get somewhat less since they increased the redemption levels.  So DON'T use it as an everyday card, you are getting about 0.8% on the non-reward categories.   For gas it can be about 4.5%, but if gas is important consider the Cash Rewards Penfed card instead, which is a real 5% card with easy redemption (which has some restrictions too if you want to avoid the AF).

I have two of these cards (Plat Rewards Visa Sig) and I only use them abroad as they cover foreign supermarkets.

Ah ok, I also have a CapOne Quicksilver One, would this be a better option for everyday instead of the Penfed? Maybe just use the Penfed for gas and groceries?

Message 4 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ah ok, I also have a CapOne Quicksilver One, would this be a better option for everyday instead of the Penfed? Maybe just use the Penfed for gas and groceries?

Yes, that would be better, except there is an annual fee on the Quicksilver One, so you have to work out if the additional savings make it worth keeping the card.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, that would be better, except there is an annual fee on the Quicksilver One, so you have to work out if the additional savings make it worth keeping the card.

Cool, I called CapOne and asked them to waive the fee and they said they couldn't do it until the fee actually posted and to call them back when it did and they would waive it.

Message 6 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

OK, then that's good.   Yes, use Penfed for gas and grocery, and Cap One elsewhere (if you don't have other cards giving rewards in special categories)

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.