Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Points

tag
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

PenFed Points

For all of those with PenFeds rewards cards, how does teir rewards system work?

What can points be redeemed for? Cash, merchandise, travel? Can they be transferred to airlines/hotel rewards?
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: PenFed Points

For the platinum rewards program, there are gift card, merchandise and travel type rewards.  And there are the usual "special offers", e.g. today a $25 certificate to Chilis for 2,400 points.

But, more usefully for many, for 5,000 points you can get a $50 prepaid visa, so this cash equivalent is redeemed at 1 point for 1 cent, unlike some other programs.

Message 2 of 6
bs6054
Valued Contributor

And on this program, the points cannot be transferred to partner programs.  I assume other rules apply on their travel type cards.

Message 3 of 6
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

So if I'm getting this as a secondary card, the Platinum Cash Rewards or Promise Visa would be my best bet?
Message 4 of 6
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

No.  The Platinum rewards card is much better.  You get 1 point per dollar spent.  The cash rewards only gives you a percentage of a point back for spending outside of gas stations. 

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 5 of 6
bs6054
Valued Contributor

And it also gives 3% off at supermarkets, equalling the Amex BCE.   It is also uncapped (so no $6K cap like with the BCP/BCE) and works abroad (I got 3% back at UK supermarkets last month)

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.