Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Promise Visa

tag
MrCredit
Established Contributor

PenFed Promise Visa

Anybody have any idea what kind of scores they want? Anybody recently approved for this card? I do not have the scores right now, but this card with the 48 month balance transfer is on my radar. Do they allow any collections that are old?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: PenFed Promise Visa

@MrCredit wrote:

Anybody have any idea what kind of scores they want? Anybody recently approved for this card? I do not have the scores right now, but this card with the 48 month balance transfer is on my radar. Do they allow any collections that are old?

PenFed is one of the tougher of the creditors, typically preferring 720+. They may not be keen about any collections, but if you have a very old and very thick file, they may be able to look past it. They also seem to not like new accounts/recent inquiries very much, often citing "pyramiding debt".

Good luck when you decide to go for it!

Message 2 of 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

As stated above it's not just a matter of scores and they use the Nextgen model based on Experian IIRC.  They're generally regarded as conservative.  Can't say for certain on the question of collections but I'd guess collections will not help with them.

Message 3 of 8
Involver
Valued Contributor

They pull Equifax exclusively. I wouldn't go near PenFed without a clean report. I got a Promise Visa earlier this year and my scores at the time were around 750.
Message 4 of 8
MrCredit
Established Contributor

I guess I will have some years before I can get that one. Thanks.

Message 5 of 8
dpride86
Regular Contributor

i was approved 4 months ago for 6K with a score around 680-690. My UTL was 20%.

-Current Score: TU 719 EQ 705 and EX 708 1-11-15
-My Goal: 740+ on all 3
-My wallet:
NFCU Cash Rewards 17k,Fidelity Amex 10.1k, QS 8k, DCU Visa Platinum 7.5k, Chase Freedom 7k, Penfed Promise 6.5k, Amex BCE 6k and Citi 5K.
Message 6 of 8
hot4u
Established Contributor

@daybreakgonesXe wrote:

@MrCredit wrote:

PenFed is one of the tougher of the creditors, typically preferring 720+. They may not be keen about any collections, but if you have a very old and very thick file, they may be able to look past it. They also seem to not like new accounts/recent inquiries very much, often citing "pyramiding debt".

Good luck when you decide to go for it!

Note: I can verify there tough but not inquiry sensitive as others

(Chase)- Freedom, CSP®, United MileagePlus® Explorer, Marriott Rewards® Premier, Penfed cash+ rewards/Promise/Defender.
Amex’s- BCE, Hilton, SPG®, PRG® and Blue®, NFCU Cash Rewards, FHB Destinations World Elite.
- Amex Centurion,(Citi) Executive/Platinum® Advantage

Alaska Airlines
Message 7 of 8
1GaDawg85
Valued Contributor

Pretty sure they value clean report versus long history

FICO 5 ,4, 2 - 10/2023                            FICO 8 - 10/2023                                   FICO 9 - 10/2023                                   FICO 10 - 10/2023

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.