Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Score Requirements?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Score Requirements?

Lookiing to join PenFed and get either a LoC or education loan. Does anyone know what score numbers PenFed looks for?

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: PenFed Score Requirements?

They are getting more dificult. Used to be 680 was good enough now might be 720.

Message 2 of 28
nicemann
Established Contributor

Well I've been looking at PenFed for 3 years now.  Always been too afraid to try.  Just signed up for the savings account (had to do the NMFA $20 sign up) with $100 deposit.  Guess I can't apply for a Credit Card till I get the welcome packet and send it back signed.  Kind of sucks, I thought it would let me apply right after I signed up.

Guess I got a week or so to keep wondering if I will be able to make it or not.  My EQ Fico is only about 690 but I don't have any INQs except a car loan back in June (already paid off).  Only negative is a Paid medical collection from 6 1/2 years ago.  Other then that nothing else negative.  I don't carry balances on any of my credit cards, only thing with a balance is my mortgage.

Guess we shall see.

Message 3 of 28
score_building
Senior Contributor

@nicemann wrote:

Well I've been looking at PenFed for 3 years now.  Always been too afraid to try.  Just signed up for the savings account (had to do the NMFA $20 sign up) with $100 deposit.  Guess I can't apply for a Credit Card till I get the welcome packet and send it back signed.  Kind of sucks, I thought it would let me apply right after I signed up.

Guess I got a week or so to keep wondering if I will be able to make it or not.  My EQ Fico is only about 690 but I don't have any INQs except a car loan back in June (already paid off).  Only negative is a Paid medical collection from 6 1/2 years ago.  Other then that nothing else negative.  I don't carry balances on any of my credit cards, only thing with a balance is my mortgage.

Guess we shall see.

with low utl and a 6.5 year old medical collection as the only neg score would generally be higher than 690

there's no indication that a 690 would be sufficient for pen fed loan products with any combo of inq and new accts., etc.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 4 of 28
nicemann
Established Contributor

@score_building wrote:

with low utl and a 6.5 year old medical collection as the only neg score would generally be higher than 690

there's no indication that a 690 would be sufficient for pen fed loan products with any combo of inq and new accts., etc.

Well that is my only negative item on my credit report.  There are no lates or anything else on my report.  So you are saying with a 690, I am wasting my time, there is no way PenFed will give me a card?  I've have a 25k CL with BoA.

Message 5 of 28
score_building
Senior Contributor

If you want to try it as a 'reach' app, and are w/i the 90 days w/o additional pull, otherwise successful apps do seem to at least carry 700s to start,

with your current score looks like you'll be there soon.

Message 6 of 28
nicemann
Established Contributor

Well since from what I have read on here, they pull a INQ for the savigns account and we can apply within 90 days for anything else without an additional pull, I guess it doesn't hurt.  Now there seems to be mixed reviews on the 90 days w/o another INQ, do you know if it is only over the phone or does the rule apply for online too?

Thank you

Message 7 of 28
score_building
Senior Contributor

90 day rule should apply either way, it does for most applicants apparently, but it is not guaranteed.

They double pulled w/i the same week for me (and denied) for whatever reason.

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@nicemann wrote:

Well since from what I have read on here, they pull a INQ for the savigns account and we can apply within 90 days for anything else without an additional pull, I guess it doesn't hurt.  Now there seems to be mixed reviews on the 90 days w/o another INQ, do you know if it is only over the phone or does the rule apply for online too?

Thank you

When I spoke to PenFed, they said 30 days (apparently for online).

What does the board think- I have a 706 EQ now, according to EQ if I get the util down next month, it could be anywhere from 726+ to 756+ depending on util.

I have 2 INQ last year & 5 in last 2 years.

I am applying in hopes of getting a student loan to cover summer tuition, but I can float it for a few months if needed.

Apply now, wait for new reporting cycle, or join & wait?

Message 9 of 28
nicemann
Established Contributor

Been holding off on pulling my Fico Score for awhile.  Figured I would pull it this morning.  Score is at 694. Guess I will try and see what happens.

Number of your accounts with a missed payment
0 accounts

Ratio of your revolving balances to your credit limits
1%

Number of collections on your credit report
1 Collection

Your oldest account was opened
5 Years, 11 Months ago

Average age of your accounts
2 years

Your applications for credit in the past year
1 inquiry

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.