Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Surprise: Need 2 Yrs Tax Forms? Noooooooo

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: PenFed Surprise: Need 2 Yrs Tax Forms? Noooooooo

Most CU asked for pay stub/ income tax return for credit cards approval. It is normal.

Ron.

Message 11 of 19
keithB
Established Contributor

@SOGGIE wrote:

Received an odd credit decision. They are requesting 2 years most recent tax returns for Amex approval. Are you kidding me? Seriously? I feel offended. Smiley Surprised Anyone else experience this?

I'm not trying to get in your business but I might point out, I was asked primarily because I am self employed.  Are you in the same situation? If so, I wouldn't take offense as extra documentation when you work for yourself is just part of the game.

Message 12 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

Most CU asked for pay stub/ income tax return for credit cards approval. It is normal.

Ron.

Penfed didn't ask anything for me, so I guess it's, as usual, YMMV.

Message 13 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@keithB wrote:

AMEX asked the same of me but I didn't feel offended in the least.  I sent them the info and was approved instantly.

I agree that you shouldn't be offended, it's just a business relationship!  But for some, there are valid privacy concerns, expecially if you file jointly and your partner is not involved with the Penfed (or Amex etc) app.   They then get private information that they don't need.   And yes, they probably can get most of it anyway, but no real need to supply it for them.

But you balance that against your need/wish for the card or CLI etc.

Message 14 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Ron1 wrote:

Ron.

+1

If you are self-employed, or otherwise earn income as anything else but a W2 employee, last two tax returns is the standard income verification request.

        
Message 15 of 19
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Yes I am. That might explain it to a degree.

@keithB wrote:

@SOGGIE wrote:

Received an odd credit decision. They are requesting 2 years most recent tax returns for Amex approval. Are you kidding me? Seriously? I feel offended. Smiley Surprised Anyone else experience this?

I'm not trying to get in your business but I might point out, I was asked primarily because I am self employed.  Are you in the same situation? If so, I wouldn't take offense as extra documentation when you work for yourself is just part of the game.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 16 of 19
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

Ron.

i have never once been asked

Message 17 of 19
boireann
Regular Contributor

A few years ago when I applied for a credit card, PenFed wanted that. I was a brand new member though.   But just recently when I applied for a car loan through them, there was no request for tax documents or proof of income.  Just standard hard pull on all 3 CRAs. 

Edited to add, my other credit union routinely requires tax docs to proove income whenever a CLI is requested.  They used to ask for last pay stub, but switched the tax docs for full picture a couple years back.

01/07 scores: Too scared to find out after looking at my free CRA reports
03/08 scores: TU: 660 EQ: 646 EX: 624
09/09 scores: TU: 735 EQ: 778 EX: ???
02/10 scores: TU: 779 EQ: 801 EX: 798 (home loan officer pull)
03/14 scores: TU 799 EQ: 809 EX: 817 (car loan credit union pull)
All that hard work paid off!!!! I'm now a happy home owner with an awesome interest rate!

CC Limits Garden Amex Clear $23000, USAA World Amex $15000, USAA Wold MasterCard $15000, BECU Visa $10,000, PenFed Visa $15000. Took a long time to get nice limits and low interest from that first app to BECU for $500 when I first started cleaning up my reports.
Message 18 of 19
SOGGIE
Valued Contributor

Wow! Thanks for sharing. I learned through this thread that it was perhaps due to my self employment.

@boireann wrote:

A few years ago when I applied for a credit card, PenFed wanted that. I was a brand new member though.   But just recently when I applied for a car loan through them, there was no request for tax documents or proof of income.  Just standard hard pull on all 3 CRAs. 

Edited to add, my other credit union routinely requires tax docs to proove income whenever a CLI is requested.  They used to ask for last pay stub, but switched the tax docs for full picture a couple years back.

Life was a lot simpler when what we honored was father and mother, rather than all major credit cards. ~Robert Orben
Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.