Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Visa yes, Costco AMEX no, Update: USAA AMEX yes

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Re: PenFed Visa yes, Costco AMEX no.

@Anonymous wrote:

Well my goal is to get my life simplified to the PenFed Visa for gas (we drive a lot), USAA Mastercard because they always have shown us luv, and an AMEX product for use at Costco. I'd prefer to get the Costco AMEX and close or reduce my stupid Plat. 

I noticed in the section that has "back door" numbers it says that you need a current credit report with the account number - the account number is always partially blocked out. How do I get that? 

Message Edited by idmd on 10-23-2009 08:55 PM
Message Edited by idmd on 10-23-2009 08:56 PM

@Anonymous wrote:

Well my goal is to get my life simplified to the PenFed Visa for gas (we drive a lot), USAA Mastercard because they always have shown us luv, and an AMEX product for use at Costco. I'd prefer to get the Costco AMEX and close or reduce my stupid Plat. 

I noticed in the section that has "back door" numbers it says that you need a current credit report with the account number - the account number is always partially blocked out. How do I get that? 

The account number is the file number for TU, and report number for EX.  Not sure what its called for EQ.  Those numbers can be found on your credit reports.  AMEX should be able to review your report without the number.  They can bring up your information using the application number listed on the decline letter. 

Message 11 of 27
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You must be talking about the specific account numbers being blocked out partially. What you need from your Equifax report is called the confirmation number. Look near the top of the report it will be obvious. It is EQ's report number. 

Message 12 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bah....I don't need them. USAA just gave me their AMEX with a $20K limit at 9.9% instantly. I know the cash rewards aren't as good but I feel somewhat vindicated! 

My Amex is my oldest card (since 2000). If I close it, am I correct in thinking it will remain on my CR for 10 years starting now?  

Message 13 of 27
DI
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Bah....I don't need them. USAA just gave me their AMEX with a $20K limit at 9.9% instantly. I know the cash rewards aren't as good but I feel somewhat vindicated! 

My Amex is my oldest card (since 2000). If I close it, am I correct in thinking it will remain on my CR for 10 years starting now?  

Congrats! Yes, the card will remaine on your credit reports for up to 10 years.  I wouldn't close the account right now.  Just don't use it for a couple of months and make the decision later.   

Message Edited by DI on 10-23-2009 08:33 PM
Message 14 of 27
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Congratulations on a great PenFed approval!

I would call Amex again during regular business hours and lead off with the fact that you are a Platinum Cardholder, then inquire about your Costco app. Could be that the first person you spoke to wasn't very sharp.

Message 15 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

And the downgrade from the Plat to the gold completes the exciting events for tonight. 

My current arsenal now includes:

USAA Mastercard - $21K - I'll put a couple of monthly bills on this to keep it active

USAA AMEX - $20K - We'll use this at Costco. We spend at least $25K a year there and should get a decent (albeit not as good as Costco Amex) reward

PenFed VISA - $20K - This will be gas and most other purchases - probably my "go to card"

and an AMEX Gold that will probably not get much love. 

Message Edited by idmd on 10-23-2009 10:06 PM
Message 16 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. Don't get too comfortable with the Penfed card though. They have been giving and shortly after, taking away.
Message 17 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Congrats. Don't get too comfortable with the Penfed card though. They have been giving and shortly after, taking away.

PenFed has been closing or CLD accounts?  I had not heard any of this.  Did this happen to you?

Message 18 of 27
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

There was a round of closures back in March.

I was one of them although I got them to reinstate it after proving that the info on my report was removed one day after they did the AR..

If you do a search you will find it.

I believe it was just over 3000 cards and at the time a CSR told me that they were specifically doing this due to the credit climate.

If your FICO had dropped like mine ( due to a BS entry) you were red flagged.

I love PenFed BUT they are a lender like every other lender these days so beware.

Jax

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 19 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Honestly, I never run a huge balance on my cards from month-to-month. The 20K CL they gave me is much more than I'll ever need and so as long as I can charge gas, groceries and a few other things every month with what ever CL they settle on I'm happy.  

Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.