Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed & NASA Info & scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed & NASA Info & scores?

Hi good morning! I am wanting to open a credit union acct. and ultimately get a CC and hopefully a mortgage. Maybe in a few years a car. I was debating between NASA & PenFed. Any reason you guys prefer 1 over the other personally?

Now I know Pen Fed does a hard pull, I'm assuming NASA does as well. What kind of scores are we looking at to open the account? Or get credit cards on either?

On a random note. I get super weird about funding my accounts using ACH from my bank just because CC companies are much better about charge backs and fraud. Has anyone funded their account using a credit card? Is it possible? Thank you in advance! :-)

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: PenFed & NASA Info & scores?

Shoot..I'd grab both! Yes you can fund NASA with a CC initially. Neither on is a true CC company.

You do not have to be a member of NASA to have their cards. It's been a soft pull on NASA for the majority here, if you app for card after membership approval.

Penfed is a HP on EQ. That pull is good for 90 days to apply for any of their products.

I believe EQ was a 670 when I joined Penfed and EX 747 for NASA. Both use different fico scoring models...not fico 8.
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info!:-)
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got accounts (for CU's) with Nasa, DCU (another one you'll see a lot around here) and a local CU. You will likely hear some bad stories around here re: Nasa. They are definitely quirky. I opened savings, checking and a PLOC with them (it was my last app (November) and was sort of a bandwagon-app...I'd been thinking about it but really wasn't planning on it when I app'd). All SP, but had to send in paystubs and maybe more for PLOC (instantly approved but asked for stuff). Their website is SUPER bare bones and their iPhone app looks straight out of 2007. It's all perfectly functional though. (There was, for me, a disconnect when I sent in my paystubs etc. because they kept getting attached to my Checking/Saving app, rather than my PLOC app. I'd say 30% user error and 70% unclear instructions/website.) Functionally, my only quibble with them is that if I deposit $ via iphone app it takes FOREVER to clear. I'm going to set up some $ direct deposit there (don't have to for free checking, can do a couple bill pays instead) because I can much more quickly get money OUT of there, compared to INTO there. I also found another nicety recently that they will suck money from savings to checking and if not from savings, from PLOC if necessary. I mistakenly double paid a bill this month (again, I blame the clunky website as much as myself). Happy to see that that all happened automatically without a glich. 

I don't have any dealings with Penfed (yet) but I'm also really happy with DCU. MUCH more up to date website, iphone app etc. I hear their HELOC and mortgage products are good. We've got a car loan, a checking and a couple savings with them. And they offered me a Visa, so I took them up on it. REALLY nice to deal with on the phone when necessary. I never hesitate to call them. And if I depoit a check via iphone, it's in the same day or next day at the latest. That's big to me. 

GL. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.