Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed approval/closure horror story

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed approval/closure horror story

Lannie, thanks for the additional information. I have to admit that makes your situation more perplexing, as (to cite my own case), I was able to get a used-car loan (not, of course, 100% equivalent to an unsecured credit card) in February with a 690/691 NextGen score, a Chapter 7 BK from 2014, a civil judgment paid in 2011, and lates on my student loan from 2013/14 and (at the time) a secured CC with over 50% utilization, so my situation was actually objectively worse than yours.

There are a couple of other possible factors I didn't think to ask earlier that might have a bearing on your case. For instance, can you tell us what the total amount of your current revolving credit lines is? If my memory serves me correctly, I've read that if you have too high an amount of revolving credit lines (not necessarily debt owed) related to your income, that can hurt your chances of getting new credit with some lenders. Also, have you applied for a large number of new credit cards and/or loans very recently (as in, within the past 3 months or so)? Penfed is known, or maybe I should say (given some recent reports) has been previously known, to be noticeably sensitive to large numbers of new accounts; their in-house term for that is "pyramiding debt".

Please don't feel that we're trying to pry; it often takes a lot of digging to locate the probable cause for why a lender inflicts adverse action on a customer, and it also often happens that the cause that turns out to be the most probable is something the customer didn't have a notion of!

P.S. I agree with others that this is, to say the least, highly uncharacteristic behavior for Penfed. It particularly bothers me that it's been this long and you haven't gotten a denial letter - which is mandatory, as in required by Federal law, when you're denied credit for any reason.

Message 21 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow! So sorry this happened to you, OP. Better luck with future plans.

Message 22 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's absolutely ridiculous. No matter the reason they had for closing the account, their communication should have been clear in conveying said reason. And to think, after all this runaround,  you still don't know why they closed the account.

I can understand the CEO being miffed at your Navy namedrop, but that wasn't the best way to handle it. 

Message 23 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That's absolutely ridiculous. No matter the reason they had for closing the account, their communication should have been clear in conveying said reason. And to think, after all this runaround,  you still don't know why they closed the account.

I can understand the CEO being miffed at your Navy namedrop, but that wasn't the best way to handle it. 

As far as competitor namedrops go, it seems to me that the best way to go about that is to put it in the basic format. "I want to do business with you, can you give me a better deal than (name of brand X)?" or "I have (x) card with (bank Y), but I'd much rather have a card through your institution if we can come to a deal."

That being said, yes, the CEO's reaction, if that was what was going on, was pretty immature. He should have come back with a counter-offer, assuming there were no showstoppers in the OP's credit profile.

Message 24 of 40
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I would go in person to a large PenFed branch such as the one in Kingstowne and meet with a repesentative.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 25 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

It would seem that for some reason you popped up on someone’s radar. If it was a SAR(Suspicious Activity Report) then they are by law not allowed to tell you why. You would receive nothing but silence and be stonewalled just like you were.

What sort of website it it? Does it involve anything that might cause PenFed to take notice?

Message 26 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

It would seem that for some reason you popped up on someone’s radar. If it was a SAR(Suspicious Activity Report) then they are by law not allowed to tell you why. You would receive nothing but silence and be stonewalled just like you were.

What sort of website it it? Does it involve anything that might cause PenFed to take notice?

I hadn't thought about that, but yes, that's another possibility. I remember a couple of other recent cases of other issuers' closing account because they spotted activity that was flagged as being suspicious (one unfortunate person had all their Chase accounts closed because they changed their annual income on the Chase site too soon after opening a new account).

Message 27 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry this happened, OP. I'm not a fan of PenFed and I find them to be inconsistent and not well organized. Navy had been far superior in my experience. Smiley Happy
Message 28 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I hadn't thought about that, but yes, that's another possibility. I remember a couple of other recent cases of other issuers' closing account because they spotted activity that was flagged as being suspicious (one unfortunate person had all their Chase accounts closed because they changed their annual income on the Chase site too soon after opening a new account).

I'm still curious about the website remark.  Is the business one that may be frounded upon by certain elements in our poitical climate that caused the issue.  Something like subpime lending, firearm related, etc.  

Message 29 of 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm still curious about the website remark.  Is the business one that may be frounded upon by certain elements in our poitical climate that caused the issue.  Something like subpime lending, firearm related, etc.  

We really should avoid speculation on that - it's up to the OP to tell us what sort of business they're in. Please note that the OP reported that Penfed was investigating a LOT of things, such as their dependents and their business clientele, not just their website. If there was a SAR involved, as SpartanSoul theorizes, it may have been triggered by something entirely different, and in fact it could be something the OP might not even be aware of or, if aware, have given a second thought to as being anything out of the ordinary at the time.

Message 30 of 40
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.