Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed closing accounts now !!

tag
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: PenFed closing accounts now !!

PenFed is most definitely is EQ puller. The drop to 630 took him below the threshhold PenFed considers for new accounts. That, plus a baddie and a (likely) UTL increase might be enough to do it. A lighter touch though, like contacting the member and asking what is going on might have been a lot nicer though, particularly from a CU that is well regarded for their excellent customer service.

Were something like the initial problem to occur to me I would be left on the horns of a dilemma: do i contact the issuer and let them know I am in the process of working out a problem on my credit report and risk bringing it to their attention or do I sit and wait for a resolution, hoping it will be prompt and nothing like this will happen?

Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 04-19-2009 07:29 PM
Message 21 of 51
maestro
Valued Member

@jaxstraw wrote:

I copied and pasted it from the other forum.

That line wasn't included by mistake.

It is a grammatical error only, it should have stated 'my brother spoke'.

Maestro, you seem fixated on dismissing the info here and elswhere because of a typo made in haste of posting.

Shame on you for being so nit picky.

We're here to help each other and many here know me from the past and I'm sure will vouch that I've been polite,to the point, and constructive.

I have no reason to lie nor does my brother.

If you have a legitimate reason to call me a liar besides a typo and lack of computer skills copy and pasting the post I apologize .

Otherwise could you please post something constructive instead of coming on two websites and questioning my integrity.

I'm sorry if this is slightly angry, my reputation as a person and a man is based on the fact that I am honest. It is a character trait I was taught to hold in the highest esteem.

The post is correct, it happened to my brother only, not me and is relayed to me from him. He is as honest a man as I know.

Message Edited by jaxstraw on 04-19-2009 05:51 PM

Apologies, if it appeared that my comments were focused on the voracity of your post.  

The thrust of what I was pointing out was that generalisations made about policy based on one conversation with a CSR are not legitimate.   

I have no doubt that this occurred to your brother, but lets hope it is not a widespread Penfed policy as your post suggests.

Message 22 of 51
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

Thanks Maestro, I'm sure your posts were with the best of intentions for all forum members to gather info from.

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 23 of 51
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

I had to call PenFed today for various reasons and decided to ask the CSR about the recent CC account closures.

She informed me that they closed approximately 4300 cards in the month of March. 

I then asked how many they normally close and she said as far as she knew it was just a dozen or less.

It seems that they are definately doing this.

On a side note, my brother faxed in his letter and is still waiting for an answer. He called today and the CSR said that lending recieved it, they might pull his credit again, and the answer could come as soon as Monday.

I'll post the results when I know.

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 24 of 51
ocheosa
Valued Contributor

@jaxstraw wrote:

I had to call PenFed today for various reasons and decided to ask the CSR about the recent CC account closures.

She informed me that they closed approximately 4300 cards in the month of March

I then asked how many they normally close and she said as far as she knew it was just a dozen or less.

It seems that they are definately doing this.

On a side note, my brother faxed in his letter and is still waiting for an answer. He called today and the CSR said that lending recieved it, they might pull his credit again, and the answer could come as soon as Monday.

I'll post the results when I know.

Jaxstraw -

Wow! And to think this card was the only one left on my "must have" list! I had it earmarked for 2010. Needed time for inqs and new 2008 accounts to age (pyramiding). I thank you for this information as they are now officially crossed off my list. I'll just get another Citi or CU card.

I already have AMEX & BOA, don't need another finicky card in my purse. Smiley Very Happy

Again, I have to say -- these forums are a wonderful supplier of information!. Thank you!!

Message Edited by ocheosa on 04-25-2009 05:52 PM
[4/24] Scores 8/9: 700-800s. Util: 1-2%. Inq/12: EQ 0, EX 3, TU 2. AoOA=15.8y, AoYA=8m.
TCL $678.5K: Personal $562.5K, Business $116K.
Message 25 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

PenFed is most definitely is EQ puller. The drop to 630 took him below the threshhold PenFed considers for new accounts. That, plus a baddie and a (likely) UTL increase might be enough to do it. A lighter touch though, like contacting the member and asking what is going on might have been a lot nicer though, particularly from a CU that is well regarded for their excellent customer service.

PENFED is NOT known for good customer service. they are known for good Credit Line terms and high CLs customer service though....not so much.

Message 26 of 51
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

PENFED is NOT known for good customer service. they are known for good Credit Line terms and high CLs customer service though....not so much.

not sure where you got that idea from, every other post about them highlights their 'excellent' cs.  so yes whether or not it is deserved pen fed is absolutely known for having top notch cs.  great website...not so much.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 27 of 51
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I suppose when it comes to customer service, it only takes one unhappy customer, and for them, the service was terrible.

I've always been lucky with them.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 28 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I definitely agree with you on this one.  Their service is very slow.  I opened an account about two months ago and no debit card yet.  I opened an Alliant account about a week after Penfed and have received everything I needed from them, i.e. checks, debit cards...I called Penfed two weeks ago to close out my account and had to call again yesterday to see if it was closed and CSR said there was no indication of that.  Hopefully it's closed now.  Alliant has the best customer service so far. 

Message 29 of 51
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

There is absolutely nothing wrong with PenFed's customer service. In fact I think it is tops.

PenFed is a little finicky about some things and debit cards seems to be one of them. They have some very strange terms when it comes to their checking account and funds transfers. Fortunately they all evaporate in time.

More to the point: Did you ask for a debit card? I would call and ask them what's going on - it could be that Mr. Postman just decided to lose it in the machinery for a decade or two.

Message 30 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.