Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed closing accounts now !!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed closing accounts now !!

usmc58555 wrote:

PENFED is NOT known for good customer service. they are known for good Credit Line terms and high CLs customer service though....not so much.

I definitely agree with this. NFCU sucks just as much in the customer service department. I've been a member for almost 20 years annd have more bad experiences with these folks than any other issuer.

Message 31 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had nothing but great nfcu customer service experience.

But then I budget at least an hour for any phone calls I have to make to them, and have all my info ready.

Message 32 of 51
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

lol, always a good idea with any financial institution...
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 33 of 51
athensguy
Valued Contributor

For customer service, Chase is the best because they let you get the most done through website messaging (ie you don't need to use their CS as much).

For phone support, my Schwab card has had the best CS so far, and Discover would have gotten high marks if they didn't try to sell me credit protector.
Message Edited by athensguy on 04-26-2009 10:32 PM
Message 34 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@athensguy wrote:
Discover would have gotten high marks if they didn't try to sell me credit protector.

No idea how the customer service of those CUs is, but I can only report that my wish not to get any telephone solicitation from Discover has up to now been followed 100%. I asked them to put me on their internal "no telephone soliciation list". I never get any sales pitch when I call them. Even when I activated my card, there was first the automated voice that I would now be connected to customer service, there was one ring, followed by the automated voice my card was now activated. I'm impressed.

Message 35 of 51
thebostonredsox
Regular Contributor

It's amazing how some people will continue to defend PenFed. They're just as bad as AMEX and BOA now, closing accounts like that. Their customer service is no where near as good as ALLIANT.

Good Luck to those that wish to remain customers of PenFed. Check your credit card accounts before trying to use them; saves the embarassment.

Message 36 of 51
score_building
Senior Contributor

not sure if that comment was directed at me just wanted to point out ftr that i am in no way trying to defend pen fed (they surely don't need my help after 3 recent denials, i got that msg) i merely pointed out that many here have raved about their cs for years.

i was denied at a time that they seem to be kinda playing it like bankers, so perhaps i dodged a bullet (even though they've apparently always been known for the rigor of their underwriting, etc.)  I am new to alliant and from what i can tell the two have different strengths but i couldn't be happier with them and much prefer it to pen fed so far, especially after hearing about these antics.

after wading through the sheer volume of glowing reports of pen fed cs i was surprised that even after speaking to several csr i noted that the tone was IMO generally a rather disconcerting combination of apathetic and condescending, with few exceptions. i deal with the public every day and make it a point to try to respond to each person's inquiries directly not with my preconceived idea of generally what they are asking as a rule.  to each his/her own i guess.

thebostonredsox wrote:

It's amazing how some people will continue to defend PenFed. They're just as bad as AMEX and BOA now, closing accounts like that. Their customer service is no where near as good as ALLIANT.

Good Luck to those that wish to remain customers of PenFed. Check your credit card accounts before trying to use them; saves the embarassment.

Message Edited by score_building on 04-28-2009 08:48 AM
DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 37 of 51
y0rascal
Regular Contributor

I find it sad that you (thebostonredsox) keeping bringing down Penfed, what i am trying to firgure out if you dislike them cause they never approved you? or other reasons... or if you talk so highly about Alliant cause they were the only CU to approve you?

regardless, for whatever reasons Penfed are closing accounts its the same as other banks, people screw their credit and in the long run Penfed does not want to be chasing them for money.  I wouldn;t be too surprised if Alliant started closing accounts sooner or later. Pretty much every bank and CU are closing accounts the questions is how many accounts are being closed.

But stop dissing on Penfed and raising Alliant like they are all that.  Alliant is good as well as Penfed.  So far i have had nothing but excellent service from Penfed, and i have no complaints.  The few complainers out there complain when things dont go their way.  The banks/CU's dont screw you in most cases, consumers screw themselves.  The only reason why the guys account got closed as stated above.  his credit was not squeaky clean and they saw a down turn and thought they should close it before any furhter damage is done.  not that i agree but CU's and Banks still lookout for number 1 and thats theirselves.  Yes i am a member of Alliant as well and think that they have good, however not excellent customer service, when I am calling for my wife who opened 1 credit card account but has 2 account numbers listed when asking why or trying to have it removed, i got transferred 5 times between visa and Alliant and it has still yet to be removed, and i gave up.  Every bank and CU has their flaws. I will defedn Penfed they got one of the best rate out there and one of the best CC's. so buzz off, Alliant is not all that you make it seem.

Message Edited by y0rascal on 04-27-2009 06:42 AM
Message 38 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an FYI -  I was quite embarassed at a gas station on Saturday after my card was declined. I called the number ont he back of the card and while the reps were very friendly and courteous, I found out that they suspended my account due to suspected fradulent activity for using it at a grocery store for $23. WTH? Isn't this a 5% back on gas, 2% on groceries card? Now using the card at a grocery store is suspicious?

Then they claimed they left me a message on my home telephone number on the 23rd or 24th (can't remember which). I found that quite interesting seeing that my home line does not have an answering machine or voicemail. I disconnected it some time ago because of solicitors and everyone that knows me well enough has my cell number to reach me. Penfed has my cell number too, but I didn't get any messages from them on it either. Oh and home number does not have Penfed on caller id. Hmm..

They did reactivate the card, or so they say. I haven't been brave enough to try using it again for fear of embarssment. They were nice enough. Though, I can't figure out what's so suspicious about a $23 grocery store charge (from a store in the same town as my billing address) on a card known for it's cash back on grocery store purchases.

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 04-27-2009 10:02 AM
Message 39 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess maybe it was not a usual spending pattern for you??

I just used mine all the way from Texas, through Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida and Georgia on a road trip last week through this past weekend, no problems.  Shopped Walmart, gas stations, restaraunts, scuba shop, etc.  No issues even though multi states in just a few days.

Message 40 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.