Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed closing accounts now !!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed closing accounts now !!

FYI  again, I just called PenFed to update them with my new address now that I am a homeowner and also to let them know that my income has drastically changed - this years tax return was almost 4x what it was the previous year which is what Penfed based my CL off of.  Even after speaking with a supervisor the rep comes back to tell me they can not update my income information unless I apply for something and they pull my credit. WTF? I told her I wasn't going to apply for a new credit product and take an inquiry just for them to update inaccurate information and that every one of my other credit card companies LIKES to have accurate information on file. Ridiculous. I've been trying to be even keeled about penfed since my application process was worse then applying for a mortgage and they gave me a whopping $1k CL, but now I'm about over the edge with them. Personally, I think they suck too.

As for alliant, all I have is savings with them, they've been just fine - I think their computers system and online banking is far superior to Penfed and the account information did arrive in a more timely manner, but otherwise, I can't comment too much on how they are customer service wise. However, nearly a year into my Penfed membership with 750-770 credit scores and I HATE the service I have received from them.

Message 41 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I guess maybe it was not a usual spending pattern for you??

I just used mine all the way from Texas, through Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida and Georgia on a road trip last week through this past weekend, no problems.  Shopped Walmart, gas stations, restaraunts, scuba shop, etc.  No issues even though multi states in just a few days.

Actually, it's the ONLY spending pattern for me. They gave me a CL equal to my Target card, LOL.  So, all I do is buy gas and/or groceries once or twice a month and PIF everytime.  Nothing at all strange about the transaction, the amount, the store or the spending pattern. I have never had so much "buyers remorse" on a CC in my life. 

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 04-27-2009 11:26 AM
Message 42 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know.  I expected to get a fraud alert call from them....I used the card across 6 states in 5 days.  Everything approved without issue.  So it is very strange that they would fraud alert you if it was at a regular purchase location and amount.  Smiley Indifferent

Message 43 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't know.  I expected to get a fraud alert call from them....I used the card across 6 states in 5 days.  Everything approved without issue.  So it is very strange that they would fraud alert you if it was at a regular purchase location and amount.  Smiley Indifferent

That is very strange. Honestly, I hate to go around bashing them because a lot of people love them, but I have had one bad experience after another. Just now I logged into my account just to see if the address update was reflected yet and it was. However, this girl was not the sharpest tool in the shed. I got that impression while speaking to her. It was confirmed when I logged in and view my account. 

ALL the information I gave her was WRONG. She had my address listed as:

123 Name of City instead of Name of Street

Name of State instead of Name of City

Wrong State

Correct Zip code.

One could easily assume she just started typing on the wrong line and it all got mixed up as she kept going, but she spelled out the state of RI as "Road Island" and put it in the space for the city. OYE!

Message 44 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think it's personal with PenFed. As the third largest CU, they have to shoulder a big chunk of the losses the corporate arm of the CU system produced at the end of last year. PenFed also thinks of converting into a savings bank. They have to cut some costs.
Message 45 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
PenFed also thinks of converting into a savings bank. 

Do you have a link for the source?

Thanks

Message 46 of 51
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

UpUpUp wrote:

FYI  again, I just called PenFed to update them with my new address now that I am a homeowner and also to let them know that my income has drastically changed - this years tax return was almost 4x what it was the previous year which is what Penfed based my CL off of.  Even after speaking with a supervisor the rep comes back to tell me they can not update my income information unless I apply for something and they pull my credit ...

I agree, that is ridiculous! I updated my financial info yesterday after accepting an offer and realized that I had entered the wrong numbers. I tried to update again, and sure enough, the regular form is just for address. So I called, and they were able to edit the financial info on their end.

Now, maybe this screen was only available to them because I had just accepted an offer, but that seems hard to believe. You might try CSR roulette, call back, and see if you can get someone who is a more creative problem-solver.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 47 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

FYI  again, I just called PenFed to update them with my new address now that I am a homeowner and also to let them know that my income has drastically changed - this years tax return was almost 4x what it was the previous year which is what Penfed based my CL off of.  Even after speaking with a supervisor the rep comes back to tell me they can not update my income information unless I apply for something and they pull my credit ...

I agree, that is ridiculous! I updated my financial info yesterday after accepting an offer and realized that I had entered the wrong numbers. I tried to update again, and sure enough, the regular form is just for address. So I called, and they were able to edit the financial info on their end.

Now, maybe this screen was only available to them because I had just accepted an offer, but that seems hard to believe. You might try CSR roulette, call back, and see if you can get someone who is a more creative problem-solver.

Honestly, I am so fed up with them, another call to that place might seriously put me over the edge. I was able to fix the address myself online after the last CSR butchered and I'm probably never going to deal with them again - just to save my sanity. They are idiots. The fact that an employee of theirs thinks Rhode Island is "Road Island" is enough to make me want to move my business out of there.That was just comical (and scary) to me. 

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 04-28-2009 08:45 AM
Message 48 of 51
smallfry
Senior Contributor

If you get an idiot on the phone escalate.
Message 49 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

@smallfry wrote:
If you get an idiot on the phone escalate.

I should have done that. I really don't have the patience to deal with them at all anymore. Maybe 6 months -1 year from now I'll forget how annoyed I am with them again and try then. But for now, I'm done with them.
Message 50 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.