cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed code Target as department or Grocery store?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed code Target as department or Grocery store?

Sallie Mae Barclay codes Target as Grocery store therefore 5points / Dollar
but I don't have a Sallie Mae I have PenFed which gives me 3 points
Does anyone know if PenFed also categorise Target as Grocery?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: PenFed code Target as department or Grocery store?

@Anonymous wrote:

Sallie Mae Barclay codes Target as Grocery store therefore 5points / Dollar
but I don't have a Sallie Mae I have PenFed which gives me 3 points
Does anyone know if PenFed also categorise Target as Grocery?

Yes it does, and I've used it to load Redbird there (for those targets which are coded as grocery stores!).   You get the 3 points, but these are only worth 2.54% (so still better than using a 2% card, but only a bit).

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Yes it does, and I've used it to load Redbird there (for those targets which are coded as grocery stores!).   You get the 3 points, but these are only worth 2.54% (so still better than using a 2% card, but only a bit).

Thank you ! You really are an expert
We have Walmart Superstores with Grocery any possibility there?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

Do you know if Chase and Discover codes Target as Grocery?

Message 4 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Thank you ! You really are an expert
We have Walmart Superstores with Grocery any possibility there?

Generally, Amex won't code Walmart Superstores as groceries, but do code some Walmart Neighborhood markets.  V/MC might, check with  https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/index.jsp for a specific store.

I beleive people have had succes with Sallie Mae etc at Superstores as well.    But in general, best thing to do is to make a small purchase and see what shows up on the statement.   These things change.

Message 5 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Visa and MC use a common system, the one I pointed to earlier, https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/index.jsp

If the target is listed as groceries, the chances are good.   But for rewards, an issuer can always add extra constraints, such as Freedon excluding all Walmarts and Targets for the 5% on groceries next quarter.

Don't use Discover.  Probably someone here has done it

Message 6 of 8
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

As I understand, the coding is done by Visa / MC and therefore for Chase, it should have been coded as grocery. However for next quarter bonus, Chase has clearly said no Walmart or Target, so I think they have added another filter based on merchant ID and not just the MCC.

Discover... interesting, don't recall having used it much at Target.

Message 7 of 8
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

LTL beat me to it Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.