cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed converted my Platinum Rewards to Sig w/o my permission. Anyone else?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: PenFed converted my Platinum Rewards to Sig w/o my permission. Anyone else?

@ztnjpv wrote:

takeshi74 said:

As indicated above downgrade was the point for PenFed.  It technically wasn't the same card.  There was a lot of backlash (popular discussion topic on credit related sites all over not too long ago) and they backpedaled.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think that's exactly it. I remember all that talk on the credit blogs and here as well. The consensus was pretty simple: How is lower rewards an upgrade? PenFed thought the Visa Sig features would somehow dupe people into thinking it was a better card despite the lower reward structure. Well, customers spoke loud and clear and here we are with the 5/3/1 maintained. 

Sure, they downgraded the point value from 1 cent to about .85 cents but it's still better than switching to 3/2/1 at a penny each. 

All's well that ends well I suppose. I just don't like the vertical style. It's gonna take a while to get used to which side is "up" when I put it back in the wallet. I keep looking to see where the strip is before I put it back in the wallet. hahahaha

Well, the most important thing is to change your sig so we can see the vertical card messing up the alignment!

At the time of all the changes, I was concerned as this was one of my major cards, but with the nerfing, and the rise of Amex BC (and Sallie Mae), my Penfed cards are now in a niche, "supermarket spending abroad" which is currently pretty small!

Message 11 of 17
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Lurker,

hahaha. Yes, I was looking at my sig line wondering how it would work. I may just leave it be for the sake of sleek, clean lines. ;-)

Yeah, at the risk of being forced down to 3/2/1, I was getting ready to banish this card to obscurity and replace it with others. It's safe for now in its gas/groceries/walmart sc role.  As a Visa, it's still a top choice for groceries when you grocery shop at walmart sc's (which my family does) since the Amex cards don't treat Walmart SC's as a supermarket. Nice thing is that everything in Walmart is treated under the same code so that's a lot of stuff subject to that 3 pt per dollar reward. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 12 of 17
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Glad you were able to figure that out and it worked out favorably.

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 13 of 17
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

That is good and also how it is supposed to be. Why should the same card give better rewards for Platinum than for Signature versions? That simply would not make sense and would be a downgrade for the customer Smiley Sad

Well, the Platinum version is no longer available, so they were (originally) really planning the new card to be a downgrade.  Then they would have to deal with what to do with existing users.   They have already nerfed the point values, so I guess for now that was enough!

The platinum version is available on the site.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 14 of 17
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Also, this card still has some valuable use for MS.  I have a platinum version and a siganture version.  I use both frequently.

Aesthetically, the card is cheap and flimsy.  I'm not a fan.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 15 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@lg8302ch wrote:

That is good and also how it is supposed to be. Why should the same card give better rewards for Platinum than for Signature versions? That simply would not make sense and would be a downgrade for the customer Smiley Sad

Well, the Platinum version is no longer available, so they were (originally) really planning the new card to be a downgrade.  Then they would have to deal with what to do with existing users.   They have already nerfed the point values, so I guess for now that was enough!

The platinum version is available on the site.

Where is it available?  I only see the sig version and the Cash Rewards card among the Platinum ones

Message 16 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

Also, this card still has some valuable use for MS.  I have a platinum version and a siganture version.  I use both frequently.

Aesthetically, the card is cheap and flimsy.  I'm not a fan.

Really?  For what, 1.6% drug store, 2.5% grocery?

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.