Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed or DCU??

tag
chnceit
Valued Contributor

PenFed or DCU??

The question is which one is easiest to apply for and gives bigger credit lines?

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
mscsinc
Valued Member

Re: PenFed or DCU??

bump

Starting Score: EQ 735 Current Score: EQ 791 Goal Score: EQ 800+
Message 2 of 7
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

From my reading on here, I would believe it would be DCU for bigger credit lines, and PenFed for eaiser to get into.

My wallet: Newest to oldest.

Message 3 of 7
dogblood
Established Member

I paid $15 donation and got into DCU pretty easy.  Not familiar with Penfed - but DCU gave me a decent CL out the gate Smiley Happy

Gardening since: 09/27/2013 Goal: Golden spade
Message 4 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Penfed is, or at least was circa six months ago, incredibly conservative at least as far as their credit cards go; however, if you have a good credit report, they are a great CU.

DCU has much looser underwriting requirements: if you're a mixed file like I am, there's a lot more available, and while I'd mark them down slightly for some very confusing practices and awkward customer service stories I've heard, I've no complaints personally and they're still an excellent option once you're through the initial potential setup hassles who have been very good to me.

I have memberships at both, but I'm nowhere qualified for Penfed's credit card program; however, I may wind up talking to them for the stupid jumbo mortgage I may need.  Penfed may be trying to change this a little bit, they're certainly on an email advertising blitz with me trying to get me to refi my auto loan with them among other products, but I haven't logged into the interface for a while to see if I actually have a pre-approval with them.

        
Message 5 of 7
Crashem
Valued Contributor

PenFed is much harder than DCU to get credit from.  IE. PenFed has higher credit standards.  However PenFed seems to be much more generous with CLs if you qualify.  I think my initial card was like 25k or 30k.  PenFed credit products are more attractive from a rewards standpoint and uniqueness even though they might no longer by world class products.  DCU basically have vanilla 1% CCs.  However DCU does give monthly free FICOs which is nice.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 6 of 7
mark293
Regular Contributor

Don't forget about Alliant.

Capital One Venture- $30,000, CSP- $29,500, PenFed Promise Visa- $26,000, NASA Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa- $25,000, NASA Federal Credit Union PLOC- $25,000, Amex BCE- 23,500, Merrill +- $23,000, Western Federal Credit Union PLOC- $20,000, OCCU Platinum Visa- $20,000, Randolph Brooks Federal Credit UnionPlatinum Visa- $20,000, Security Service Federal Credit Union PLOC- $20,000, Security Service Federal Credit Union MasterCard- $15,000, Allied Credit Union Visa- $15,0000, BBVA NBA Amex $15,000, Houston Police Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa- $15,000, Amex PRG NPSL, Discover IT- $14,300, DCU Platinum Visa- $10,000, Smart Financial CU Platinum MC- $10,000, Citi Hilton Honors Visa- $7500, USAA Platinum Visa- $7000, GEMB/Dillard's-$7500.00, GEMB/JCP-$10,000
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.