Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed really is conservative and follows strict rules

tag
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

PenFed really is conservative and follows strict rules

So my situation is: I have no credit history. I thought "Let's join PenFed and open an account"

Not easy seems, so I'm sharing this story for anyone interested.

At the end of the application I got the error that they would not issue me my security code as I did not have a credit history. Which meant: I had to get my passport, social security card and utility bill notarized. There was no way around this, because I'm abroad that was a huge hassle. I got it done at a notary (expensive btw) so emailed it repeatedly, after calling cs found out that the csr misspelled my email address during my application so the documents were not connected to my account.

So later, finally, my membership was complete and I got my security code. Yay!

Ok, not yay, if they weren't able to pull your credit (like if you don't have any) they put all sorts of restrictions on your account. You can not even open checking or savings accounts. However, you can apply for credit cards, but the csr's tell me that 'because they are a conservative lender' such accounts will have a hard time getting approvals.

So how to get the restriction off? You have to wait 6 months after opening the account, then mail them a signed letter where you ask them to do another hard inquiry on you (which they already did when joining..). If they like that, they may remove the restrictions.

All csr's tell me every time I speak to them that penfed is a very conservative lender

I have experience with other credit unions (afcu, sdfcu) and none of them require notarized documents or restrict accounts like this.

So moral is: PenFed really is conservative and can be a big hassle

Good side is that the oregon csr's are helpful in general, unfortunately they just have to follow the very strict rules.

Cards: BCE 24k 5/'17 | CF 12k 10/'15 | IHG 12k 10/'15 | HH 6k 6/'18 | DS It 6k 3/'15 | TR 5k 11/'15
Scores: 760-770 | Inquiries: 0-1 | Utilization: 0-10% | AAoA: 3yrs | Bank: Ally | CU's: Navy & Pentagon
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

Re: PenFed really is conservative and follows strict rules

PenFed is probably one of the toughest lenders I've ever come across, although I know Iberia Bank and Simmons First are also very difficult. It isn't uncommon for someone with good credit to be denied for "pyramiding debt." But they are very generous if you get approved!

Message 2 of 12
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Yes they are one of the most conservative.  After they approved me online for $7500 card, their analysts revoked approval due to pyramiding. 

Message 3 of 12
Hockeyplayrr
Frequent Contributor

I ended up approved for 50k on a credit card (definitely too much) and instead of it being lowered to fit my income I too had an analyst revoke approval for pyramiding.
Credit Scores: Equifax - 744 (Oct FICO) | Experian 736(Oct Fico) | Transunion - 755(Oct Fico)

Credit Lines: Diners Club 20k | Penfed Plat Rewards 7k | SDFCU 5k | Amex BCE - 10.5k | Chase Freedom 4.5k | CSP - 10.6k | Discover IT - 9k | Sallie Mae 3.8k | BofA 123 - 4.9k | CITI Double Cash 9.1k | Total Rewards 3.25k
Message 4 of 12
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@jesseh wrote:

All csr's tell me every time I speak to them that penfed is a very conservative lender

Most here would tell you that as well. Smiley Wink

@grinlikechelsea wrote:

But they are very generous if you get approved!

My highest CL is with PenFed.

Message 5 of 12
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

Were you pyramiding?

Cards: BCE 24k 5/'17 | CF 12k 10/'15 | IHG 12k 10/'15 | HH 6k 6/'18 | DS It 6k 3/'15 | TR 5k 11/'15
Scores: 760-770 | Inquiries: 0-1 | Utilization: 0-10% | AAoA: 3yrs | Bank: Ally | CU's: Navy & Pentagon
Message 6 of 12
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

In my case I had quite a few new accts. My overall debt decreased nearly $20k in the previous 12 months.
Message 7 of 12
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

When I applied it said that it was sent to an analyst for a limit of up to 37500, which I knew I wouldn't get. Anyway, I was then approved for 10,000 after about one day.  I had quite a few recent inquiries and about five new accounts in three months. I asked for an increase after a few months and was denied solely for "pyramiding debt". I was also declined an automobile loan and second credit card for the same reason. So it's like I got lucky and got a really nice analyst to approve the first card and the other ones don't see it my way.

Message 8 of 12
jesseh
Frequent Contributor

For anyone who has no credit history this may be interesting

I was denied for the Initiator card for lack of credit history. (currently waiting for a responde on my resub)

Woah. If you are initiating to build credit you probably get denied for the initiator card.. (or secured, no real difference)

I just called and talked to CSR Amanda, she said penfed employees recently had a seminar and many employees don't understand people being denied for secured cards for lack of credit. It has been forwarded to management ('the ceo') and they may revise their lending policy.

Message 9 of 12
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@navigatethis12 wrote:

When I applied it said that it was sent to an analyst for a limit of up to 37500, which I knew I wouldn't get. Anyway, I was then approved for 10,000 after about one day.  I had quite a few recent inquiries and about five new accounts in three months. I asked for an increase after a few months and was denied solely for "pyramiding debt". I was also declined an automobile loan and second credit card for the same reason. So it's like I got lucky and got a really nice analyst to approve the first card and the other ones don't see it my way.

I've seen this before.. what does that mean exactly? That one doesn't pay in full each month? Or is building debt over time? Or has so much available credit and small amount of debt? LOL Seriously, I know I can google this and I will after this post, but I don't think I'll still fully understand it. (If I remember correctly, I've already looked this up but didn't fully understand it. -- obviously.)

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.