Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed replacement

tag
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

PenFed replacement

I was in the late stages of applying (and being approved!) for the Platinum Rewards Card from PenFed but read about all this bad news with points devaluing and nerfing of the cards in the near future.

Sigh...they already mailed me the card and all I have to do is activate it, but a big part of me wants to just cancel the whole deal and look for something more reliable. I already have Chase Freedom and Discover to cover rotating categories (with the final quarter 5% online purchases gonna be a huge plus). So I'm still in the market for a good gas/grocery card, if anyone has any suggestions. At the moment my only savings/checking account is in BofA, if that helps.

TU: 777 | EQ: 814 | EX: 764
Last INQ: 3/26/21
AAoA: 4y 7m
Lowest limit: Chase Freedom Visa - $13,000
Highest limit: Discover It - $56,500
Available credit: $200,600 (8 cards)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
simi_go
Frequent Contributor

Re: PenFed replacement

Did you look into the BCP, thats the route I would go, IF you have already decided not to keep PenFed

My wallet: Newest to oldest.

Message 2 of 8
user5387
Valued Contributor

I have the Platinum Rewards Card, and have been thinking about this same question.

The BCP/BCE are the obvious first choice.  I have the BCE and want to get another card, preferably MC/Visa.

My current first choice is the US Bank Cash Plus.  Beyond that, I have thought about the Fidelity Amex and Visa, and the BOA Travel Rewards card.

The Barclay Rewards and Sallie Mae cards are also good, but I'm not sure that Barclay gives out very high limits for these.

The LMCU Visa is a CU card with a 3/2/1 structure.  I'm not sure how generally available this card is, even though anyone can qualify for LMCU.

Message 3 of 8
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

I narrowed it down to Sallie Mae and  Bank Americard Cash Rewards. Since I don't spend over $250 on gas or groceries, the Sallie Mae's 5% seems like a clear winner but the application I was looking at only offers a $25 cashback signup bonus whereas Bank of America has $100 one-time bonus.

Anyone have a link that will direct me to a Sallie Mae application with better promo cashback?

Message 4 of 8
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@heyitsyeh wrote:

I narrowed it down to Sallie Mae and  Bank Americard Cash Rewards. Since I don't spend over $250 on gas or groceries, the Sallie Mae's 5% seems like a clear winner but the application I was looking at only offers a $25 cashback signup bonus whereas Bank of America has $100 one-time bonus.

Anyone have a link that will direct me to a Sallie Mae application with better promo cashback?

Just my standard reminder about BCP.  You can use this to buy gift cards at your supermarket, and, depending on the store, this can be to a huge range of retail stores and restaurants.  So even though "groceries" may not exceed 250 a month, you might still want to consider BCP.

Message 5 of 8
Exonumist
Established Contributor

There is always the Fot Knox Credit Union card as well. Who knows how long it will be 5% on gas though.

Message 6 of 8
studiogeek
Valued Member

Lots of gift card use is one of the ways to trigger an Amex financial review. If that matters, be careful.

Aug 2012 TU/EQ/EX 500's (zero positive credit, one 6 year old CO for $1100) Rebuild->Cap 1 secured $200->TU 610 EQ/EX 640, Shell $500 (cli) $750, Macy's $500, Bloomie's $500 ->(cli $1.2K), Victorias' Secret $750->(cli 1K) (level 2 moves) NFCU Visa Signature $15K/$20K, USAA $4K, Amex Blue $9K/$37K, Amex Costco $10.5K Penfed Visa $2.5K, OCCU Beaver $20K, Amex SP Gold(no limit), Chase PRG 26K ~ MyFico TU775 EQ789 EX766 / $0-$200,000 CL in just 18 months.
Message 7 of 8
heyitsyeh
Frequent Contributor

Got my Sallie Mae World Mastercard at 5K Smiley Happy Does anyone know if they report the credit line to the bureaus?

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.