Established Contributor
FaircreditguyFL

Re: PenFed still not reporting. normal ?

haulingthescoreup wrote:
PenFed is a little screwy if you try to PIF before the statement date, etc. My statement drops on the 2nd of the month, but this month I didn't see a new statement online until the 6th or 7th, and it wasn't on my reports until then. But once it did show up, the displayed date was the 2nd. I wound up having a balance report due to the confusion.

They also seem to have delays in when a charge actually posts to your online account, and they don't seem to show "pendings." So for those who like to have $0 reporting on their cards, you'll definitely need to stay on your toes with PenFed, stopping using it at least 5 days before the statement date and tracking to see if they post. Or more simply, let PenFed be that one card that does report for you.

I do hope that they unclutter their website pretty soon. It's a bit eccentric at the moment. But it's worth it! :smileyvery-happy:

Not reporting a balance is counterproductive, IMHO.
Moderator Emeritus
cheddar

FaircreditguyFL wrote:

haulingthescoreup wrote:
PenFed is a little screwy if you try to PIF before the statement date, etc. My statement drops on the 2nd of the month, but this month I didn't see a new statement online until the 6th or 7th, and it wasn't on my reports until then. But once it did show up, the displayed date was the 2nd. I wound up having a balance report due to the confusion.

They also seem to have delays in when a charge actually posts to your online account, and they don't seem to show "pendings." So for those who like to have $0 reporting on their cards, you'll definitely need to stay on your toes with PenFed, stopping using it at least 5 days before the statement date and tracking to see if they post. Or more simply, let PenFed be that one card that does report for you.

I do hope that they unclutter their website pretty soon. It's a bit eccentric at the moment. But it's worth it! :smileyvery-happy:

How so?

----------------------------
App free since 7/11/08.
TU 744 / EX 710 / EQ 694 (Starting to slip. :smileysurprised: )
Senior Contributor
smallfry

See what happens if you report balances on all your credit cards at the same time.
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

FaircreditguyFL wrote:

haulingthescoreup wrote:

Not sure why.

Many people think that a balance has to report to show activity, but that's not so.

One example from personal experience: a card hadn't been used in 3-4 months, and then I used it. I got a one-time score ding (and Scorewatch alert) for using a "dormant" card. But when a balance posted on a different card that had been used without balances posting for many months before, no ding or alert.

Another happened-to-me: I have a credit card that hasn't posted a balance in a year. I used it to pay for new flooring, and at one point, the balance got really high. I paid it off before it posted, and it still reported a $0 balance. But the "highest balance" field on my reports now showed that intercycle balance.

So CCC's are able to report whether a card has been used during the billing cycle, even when $0 posts. It looks to me like they report the total amounts charged during that billing cycle, but we only see it if it's a new highest balance for us.

Even the full reports that we can get directly from the 3 CRA's don't show everything that gets reported.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Senior Contributor
smallfry

I can attest to that as well Hauling. I hadn't used my Walmart card for some time and when I used it I got a EQ CWG alert. I paid in full before the statement cut but the last activity shown was the current month. So they do see activity even if you don't let a balance report when they cut the statement.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+