Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenTagon Federal Credit Union and Amex

tag
92SelfMade
Contributor

PenTagon Federal Credit Union and Amex

Im getting ready to pull the trigger on amex blue card Ive always felt as though amex will complete my card colleciton making me have 6 cards but I feel as though it is superior and wanting to get the blue amex but also saw pentagon federal credit union had a amex card through it and wanted to know which is better?

I also was wanting to know if anyone has had experience with penfed and there dept I have 3 years of credit history aaoa of 1 year 10 months also my score will be in the 700's when i apply for a penfed account agin what are chance penfed will approve always heard great things about them and amex i need to make them my main credit union and only credit union

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Re: PenTagon Federal Credit Union and Amex

@92SelfMade wrote:

Im getting ready to pull the trigger on amex blue card Ive always felt as though amex will complete my card colleciton making me have 6 cards but I feel as though it is superior and wanting to get the blue amex but also saw pentagon federal credit union had a amex card through it and wanted to know which is better?

I also was wanting to know if anyone has had experience with penfed and there dept I have 3 years of credit history aaoa of 1 year 10 months also my score will be in the 700's when i apply for a penfed account agin what are chance penfed will approve always heard great things about them and amex i need to make them my main credit union and only credit union

Branded AmEx cards are not truly AmEx. They merely use the AmEx network. If you want a "true" AmEx, it must be a card issued directly from AmEx, such as the Charge Cards, and the BCE, BCP revolvers. Which is "superior" is a matter of endless debate...it depends on what your views on each individual lenders perks are.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 2 of 8
92SelfMade
Contributor

ok but ill probably go with penfed there defender amex card has lower rates than the regular amex

Message 3 of 8
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Question:

Why are you placing interest rates as the priority in your decision to apply for one card or the other?

I'm curious, not accusing you of this being a bad thing.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 4 of 8
92SelfMade
Contributor

penfed has a 4.99 balance transfer apr for life if u transgert by a certain date u can have that and I plan on carrying a balance sometime

Message 5 of 8
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

OP, you said your score would be in the 700s when you apply for Penfed. Did you mean low 700s? Because honestly, I would wait until you reach the 750s and your AAoA improves to 2 years (Currently, FICO will show 1 year history for scoring, not 1 year X months.) You may be able to get an approval in the low 700s but with a thin file, the higher the better for them.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 6 of 8
92SelfMade
Contributor

last time i was with penfed the credit analyst said he liked my credit profile just utilization waas too high and he wouldnt approve me for loans until it moved down but did give me alimited checking acccount now my uti is low

Message 7 of 8
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Please let us know the outcome. I'm working with a similar score and will prob need to app the Travel Amex for the 4.99% too.

Also, have you considered the PNC Flex Visa? It had a two year bt rate of 1.99 or 2.99 iirc and per reviews online, it seems easier to get approved for
Penfed seems very difficult to get approved for.
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.