Reply
Frequent Contributor
jake619
Posts: 496
Registered: ‎11-13-2012

Pending AMEX Class Action Lawsuit

Anybody have any insight on this article from NW.com?  Apparently it is to be heard this year.


GangnamFICO wrote:

Because the chicks dig it when I throw down the card to the waiter and...it comes in handy if I'm short on cash until payday and need a short spot. AMEX gets the booty, and that's important when you're a Pirate.


Minor vulgarity edit --Rev



Valued Contributor
bs6054
Posts: 1,673
Registered: ‎11-11-2012

Re: Pending AMEX Class Action Lawsuit

Moderator
Revelate
Posts: 8,161
Registered: ‎12-30-2011

Re: Pending AMEX Class Action Lawsuit

[ Edited ]

Didn't read through the whole thing but:

 

"As it stands now, if AmEx does spice up its rewards, it may very well win out in the restaurant business, where 35% of the total dollar volume is charged through the AmEx network."

 

That's not only surprising but a staggering metric, I had always assumed that Visa/MC would still be ahead by a large margin... maybe that's why they absurdly approved my BCP, my Zync spending may well be utterly inline with their typical demographic... and perhaps one other reason they cancelled the Zync as I don't know any of the rest of their lineup where 2:1 points are garned for restaurants, especially when used as a reward accelerator linked to a higher tier charge card.

 

That's probably incidently why I rarely find a place which doesn't accept Amex out here, I mostly spend in restaurants :cattongue:

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 679, EQ 8 703, TU 708, EX 702* (05/30/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 in all three (01/01/15)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
Walt_K
Posts: 3,065
Registered: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Pending AMEX Class Action Lawsuit


Revelate wrote:

Didn't read through the whole thing but:

 

"As it stands now, if AmEx does spice up its rewards, it may very well win out in the restaurant business, where 35% of the total dollar volume is charged through the AmEx network."

 

That's not only surprising but a staggering metric, I had always assumed that Visa/MC would still be ahead by a large margin... maybe that's why they absurdly approved my BCP, my Zync spending may well be utterly inline with their typical demographic... and perhaps one other reason they cancelled the Zync as I don't know any of the rest of their lineup where 2:1 points are garned for restaurants, especially when used as a reward accelerator linked to a higher tier charge card.

 

That's probably incidently why I rarely find a place which doesn't accept Amex out here, I mostly spend in restaurants :cattongue:


I highly doubt that had anything to do with them canceling Zync.  If Chase can figure out how to offer 2x UR on dining with CSP, and Citi can offer 5x TY on Forward, I doubt 2x MR on dining was hurting Amex.  I suspect that notwithstanding its popularity on this forum, Zync just wasn't that popular of a card offering. 


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Frequent Contributor
jake619
Posts: 496
Registered: ‎11-13-2012

Re: Pending AMEX Class Action Lawsuit

The BlueBird aspect is what I didn't consider.  I don't know how to word this respectfully, but the BB component brings AMEX-branded banking and plastic to traditionally non-AMEX clientele.  I think the BB end-game is to create more pressure for merchants to reconsider accepting AMEX, thus making it more universally accepted.


GangnamFICO wrote:

Because the chicks dig it when I throw down the card to the waiter and...it comes in handy if I'm short on cash until payday and need a short spot. AMEX gets the booty, and that's important when you're a Pirate.


Minor vulgarity edit --Rev



Moderator
Revelate
Posts: 8,161
Registered: ‎12-30-2011

Re: Pending AMEX Class Action Lawsuit

[ Edited ]

Walt_K wrote:

Revelate wrote:

Didn't read through the whole thing but:

 

"As it stands now, if AmEx does spice up its rewards, it may very well win out in the restaurant business, where 35% of the total dollar volume is charged through the AmEx network."

 

That's not only surprising but a staggering metric, I had always assumed that Visa/MC would still be ahead by a large margin... maybe that's why they absurdly approved my BCP, my Zync spending may well be utterly inline with their typical demographic... and perhaps one other reason they cancelled the Zync as I don't know any of the rest of their lineup where 2:1 points are garned for restaurants, especially when used as a reward accelerator linked to a higher tier charge card.

 

That's probably incidently why I rarely find a place which doesn't accept Amex out here, I mostly spend in restaurants :cattongue:


I highly doubt that had anything to do with them canceling Zync.  If Chase can figure out how to offer 2x UR on dining with CSP, and Citi can offer 5x TY on Forward, I doubt 2x MR on dining was hurting Amex.  I suspect that notwithstanding its popularity on this forum, Zync just wasn't that popular of a card offering. 


Perhaps, but note that 2x on restaurants is a default Chase factor, Citi reward structures I'm not familiar with though admittedly the Forward is pretty sweet (and note being changed); however, look at it from the other angle - 35% of aggregate restaurant spend is through the Amex network.

 

That's a staggering amount of money, and paying that out at 2:1 vs. 1:1 everywhere else isn't nearly as profitable as they could be for people that had the Zync linked.  Further, and this is a curiosity question, is there any Amex network transaction card from any other vendor which gives rewards on restaurant spend?  All the others I'm passingly familiar with are either Visa or MC backed.

 

I likely agree there were other reasons, but I incredibly doubt that the Zync was cancelled for one reason alone; popularity was low because it was a marketing experiment that was never pushed in the mainstream media, that's not the card's fault and is easily corrected if they so chose.  Legal action + profitability would be the two ones I'd bet on, and I suspect the restaurant pack was highly popular on the Zync out of the paid ones.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 679, EQ 8 703, TU 708, EX 702* (05/30/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 in all three (01/01/15)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Contributor
westcoastpirate
Posts: 78
Registered: ‎11-14-2012

Re: Pending AMEX Class Action Lawsuit

Amex Costco TE gets 2% back on restaurants.
Moderator
Revelate
Posts: 8,161
Registered: ‎12-30-2011

Re: Pending AMEX Class Action Lawsuit


westcoastpirate wrote:
Amex Costco TE gets 2% back on restaurants.

Oh hrm, looks like 3% even, ok nevermind my stupidity earlier please :smileyhappy:  I completely miss that card every time I think about Amex.

 

Sorry dudes, mea culpa.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 679, EQ 8 703, TU 708, EX 702* (05/30/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 in all three (01/01/15)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Moderator
webhopper
Posts: 7,230
Registered: ‎09-16-2011

Re: Pending AMEX Class Action Lawsuit

This reminds me of a dinner I had with 3 friends. 2 of us paid with an amex; the other two paid with debit card. I had zync; the other guy had either gold or BCE

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!



Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
Walt_K
Posts: 3,065
Registered: ‎11-02-2009

Re: Pending AMEX Class Action Lawsuit


Revelate wrote:

westcoastpirate wrote:
Amex Costco TE gets 2% back on restaurants.

Oh hrm, looks like 3% even, ok nevermind my stupidity earlier please :smileyhappy:  I completely miss that card every time I think about Amex.

 

Sorry dudes, mea culpa.


Fidelity Amex 2% on everything. 


Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+