Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pending charge and statement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pending charge and statement

1) A 'fee' "can" be charged for just about anything as long as some disclosure technicality has been met, period!
Some companies have a 'fee' to increase your CL, to pay your bill by phone and you can darn well bet there exist 'such' a thing as over the limit, just like over drawing one's bank account... it's a huge red flag that companies, especially in this tier want to strongly discourage.

2) FYI for the OP in general I would NOT be using a toy limit rebuilder card as the 'hold' card for a auto rental joint.
They are brutal and notorious when it comes to banging cards over and above the auth amount (which is obviously a sensitive area and NOT something you want to deal with, with an already dicey CL)
These companies swipe and swipe and swipe bang though charges gas, damages, car brought back late etc
Too many nightmares not to say something, friend
Seen plenty of ppl get over the limit due to rental car nonsense and even if it's 'cleared' up weeks or months later the damage to your account has been done

That's a chance you just can't take with a low limit card you're using to rebuild.....

A person with a 5-10-15k limit will be annoyed but generally won't affect their credit rebuild or ruin a baby card as it's trying to grow

Please don't use baby rebuilders at auto rental and it's best to pay at the counter if you're using to get gas, because at the pump it's just an auth which may be a longer hold than one guessed + some institutions hold $100 (USAA) ( cause they can't tell if you have a motorcycle or a huge SUV you're filling)

If you go inside it's an immediate charge of $25 no holds/no auth you made a specific purchase....
Be careful folks
Message 11 of 19
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:
+1 Chris
There is indeed such a thing as an Over the Limit Fee on some CCs.

Thank you. I was astounded by the ignorance of that statement, especially here where I thought you guys were the experts on all things credit card related! Maybe I should just wait it out till Monday and see what happens when the statement releases. 

This is a great place to be to learn about credit, and scores etc - so much info. But we don't know everything and at times a mistake will be made, No need to cut into another user. They're only trying to help.

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
1) A 'fee' "can" be charged for just about anything as long as some disclosure technicality has been met, period!
Some companies have a 'fee' to increase your CL, to pay your bill by phone and you can darn well bet there exist 'such' a thing as over the limit, just like over drawing one's bank account... it's a huge red flag that companies, especially in this tier want to strongly discourage.

2) FYI for the OP in general I would NOT be using a toy limit rebuilder card as the 'hold' card for a auto rental joint.
They are brutal and notorious when it comes to banging cards over and above the auth amount (which is obviously a sensitive area and NOT something you want to deal with, with an already dicey CL)
These companies swipe and swipe and swipe bang though charges gas, damages, car brought back late etc
Seen plenty of ppl get over the limit due to rental car nonsense and even if it's 'cleared' up weeks or months later the damage to your account has been done

That's a chance you just can't take with a low limit card you're using to rebuild.....

A person with a 5-10-15k limit will be annoyed but generally won't affect their credit rebuild or ruin a baby card as it's trying to grow

Please don't use baby rebuilders at auto rental and it's best to pay at the counter if you're using to get gas, because at the pump it's just an auth which may be a longer hold than one guessed + some institutions hold $100 (USAA) ( cause they can't tell if you have a motorcycle or a huge SUV you're filling)

If you go inside it's an immediate charge of $25 no holds/no auth you made a specific purchase....
Be careful folks

Thanks for the advice. This is the last time i'm using Enterprise anyway because I don't agree with these absurd holds. I say absurd because if I steal or total the car, is that $200 hold really going to help them any?! No. And same with the gas stations that needlessly hold funds. I only fill up at stations I know don't do it. It's all shady practice imo. 

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchblue wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@CreditInspired wrote:
+1 Chris
There is indeed such a thing as an Over the Limit Fee on some CCs.

Thank you. I was astounded by the ignorance of that statement, especially here where I thought you guys were the experts on all things credit card related! Maybe I should just wait it out till Monday and see what happens when the statement releases. 

This is a great place to be to learn about credit, and scores etc - so much info. But we don't know everything and at times a mistake will be made, No need to cut into another user. They're only trying to help.

I cut into no one and for that matter, you're now cutting into me for cutting into them. Nice. Had the other person worded their statement like "I could be wrong, but I don't think there's such a thing as an overlimit fee.", that would've been fine. But to factually state 100% it doesn't exist on an advice forum when it does is irresponsible. 

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Be careful folks

Thanks for the advice. This is the last time i'm using Enterprise anyway because I don't agree with these absurd holds. I say absurd because if I steal or total the car, is that $200 hold really going to help them any?! No. And same with the gas stations that needlessly hold funds. I only fill up at stations I know don't do it. It's all shady practice imo. 

I rent plenty of vehicles throughout the year for work and a hold is just that-a hold. It's there to ensure you have funds to clear the anticipated charges, plus a little (usually). Because your rental is already complete then you only have to worry about the final amount clearing and the hold will disappear. I've had pending charges present during many statement cuts and have never seen them present as they hadn't cleared.

Sometimes the similar things happen with hotels. Because of work I get stuck having to put two cards on hotels often: one for the room (company card) and one for incidentals (personal card). Occasionally I'll catch one of the hotels messing it up and see a room charge as pending on my personal card. All of my personal cards have a $500 limit that, when exceeded, will prompt an alert to my phone. Once I get the alert I simply go clear it up with the front desk and within a few days the pending charge simply disappears without ever posting or showing up on the statement

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Be careful folks

I rent plenty of vehicles throughout the year for work and a hold is just that-a hold. It's there to ensure you have funds to clear the anticipated charges, plus a little (usually). Because your rental is already complete then you only have to worry about the final amount clearing and the hold will disappear. I've had pending charges present during many statement cuts and have never seen them present as they hadn't cleared.

Sometimes the similar things happen with hotels. Because of work I get stuck having to put two cards on hotels often: one for the room (company card) and one for incidentals (personal card). Occasionally I'll catch one of the hotels messing it up and see a room charge as pending on my personal card. All of my personal cards have a $500 limit that, when exceeded, will prompt an alert to my phone. Once I get the alert I simply go clear it up with the front desk and within a few days the pending charge simply disappears without ever posting or showing up on the statement

The $200 hold cleared! I'm shocked because it's Sunday morning and I thought nothing happens on the weekends. But in any case, it's now a non issue because the statement isn't going to cut until tonorrow and i'm now $200 under the limit. Whew!!These holds can be hard when you're re-building credit and only have low limit cards like $500. Regarding the hotels, i've been lucky with some that since I try to prepay before arrival and when I see them start to swipe the card, I stop them and ask very nicely if they can waive the hold deposit and just block everything in the room like movies, room service etc. Sometimes they do and other times they don't. But it never hurts to ask. 

Anyways, thanks all for the advice and help. I can breathe easy now and keep my perfect 2 year credit record. Since discharge, i've been dilligent and watching everything like a hawk to successfully rebuild and don't want to make even the slightest mistakes this time around.  

Message 16 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just an update to say the $200 hold cleared this morning! I didn't think anything happened on Sunday but all's well now and no worries about being over the limit. Whew. Thanks all for the help and advice!!

Message 17 of 19
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

FYI this is pretty standard practice among car rental agencies.  You're not going to get away from it by ditching Enterprise.

Just keep that in mind next time you rent that you need to have some room on your card for the hold and that it will go away in a few days if they don't actually charge you. Also, a hold will not affect your balance if your statement cuts while it's in effect.

Message 18 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MrDisco99 wrote:

FYI this is pretty standard practice among car rental agencies.  You're not going to get away from it by ditching Enterprise.

Just keep that in mind next time you rent that you need to have some room on your card for the hold and that it will go away in a few days if they don't actually charge you. Also, a hold will not affect your balance if your statement cuts while it's in effect.

I read on Alamo's website the only hold they place of the cost of the rental. No extra deposit hold, so i'm going to try them and if I find it's true, then i'll stick with them from now on. You're right, there's no escaping these holds but if/when I find places that don't do it, they'll have a loyal customer in me. Their prices are lower too so that's a plus.

Thanks for the advice regarding the holds and statement cuts. I'll keep this in mind for the future. It's good to know it doesn't count as "charges" when they compute the new statement. 

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.