Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed: Add an AU without a SSN?

tag
PointLager
Established Contributor

Penfed: Add an AU without a SSN?

hi all

recently got a Penfed card and wanted to add my wife as an AU but the online form asks for a SSN. 

Any way around this?   Amex has been more helpful with this when i called it in, despite their online form asking for SSN. 

two reasons i ask this that i want to keep my wife well below 5/24 for future chase cards

second reason is i want to add AUs who doesn't live in the States (no SSN) and penfed cards are great no-FEE cards without foreign exchange fees.

thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Penfed: Add an AU without a SSN?

AUs don't report on Penfed cards..unless it's something new. Have you tried calling them?
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@PointLager wrote:

hi all

recently got a Penfed card and wanted to add my wife as an AU but the online form asks for a SSN. 

Any way around this?   Amex has been more helpful with this when i called it in, despite their online form asking for SSN. 

two reasons i ask this that i want to keep my wife well below 5/24 for future chase cards

second reason is i want to add AUs who doesn't live in the States (no SSN) and penfed cards are great no-FEE cards without foreign exchange fees.

thanks

As Gmood states, its best to call them but couple points.  Not sure about your point regarding Chase's 5/24.  Whether you provide a SSN or not, if PenFed reports the AU to the CRAs, then it will count against 5/24.  The SSN has no bearing in that one way or the other.  Creditors, if they report AUs to the bureaus, generally don't need SSNs to be able to do so, especially for a wife.

How long ago did you add an AU to your Amex card without a SSN?  You can do it initially but after 60 days if you don't provide them a SSN they will cancel the AU card.  I'm curious if it's been longer than 60 days for you?

Message 3 of 7
PointLager
Established Contributor

It's been longer than 60 days. Years. Multiple Amex charge cards and revolvers. One AU Amex just took passport number (didn't even ask what country). Other never gave any sort of govt number and I pushed back when asked. I've found best luck w this when dealing w platinum reps even for lower tier Amex cards.
Message 4 of 7
PointLager
Established Contributor

Last time I added an au without a SSN was this summer.
Message 5 of 7
PointLager
Established Contributor

I should say I l have gotten follow up letters from Amex to add the SSN But those end up in the shredder.

the AUs have never lived in the US btw but get spammed by Cc Offers from unaffiliated issuers (sent to my address) so I assume their CRsare good to go by now

Realistically all Amex needs is DOB and address and that's sufficient. The AUs CR now goes back years so address will tie back.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sorry--I don't know about PenFed, but a couple of years ago I added my husband as an authorized user to my Chase Amazon CC without a SSN (as he lived in Canada). Once he moved to the US and had his SSN, we checked his credit (it took a few months for a report to show up) and the card was on his credit report even though he didn't have a SSN at the time.
I was also able to add him to my USAA main account and add him to my local bank account before he had his SSN.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.