Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed EMV (again)

tag
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Penfed EMV (again)

Looks like there is now a link on the Penfed site, Convert to a Chip Enabled Card   This asks you for a PIN and warns you a new card with a new account number will be issued.   I didn't want to play with it too much, but this looks like a better system than "Apply for a new card" approach earlier this month.

It warns you that your old card automatically expires 14 days from (??? don't know!) so activate as soon as you receive it,  and that all balance, reward etc, gets transferred to the new number.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Penfed EMV (again)

Sweet! At least now they wont be confused when you convert your card or actually apply for a new card Smiley Very Happy

I called PenFed to ask them where my card is because I didnt even get it yet. They told me it takes a very long time if I didnt pay for the expedite shipping. Gosh! 3 weeks now!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 17
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@chnceit wrote:

Sweet! At least now they wont be confused when you convert your card or actually apply for a new card Smiley Very Happy

I called PenFed to ask them where my card is because I didnt even get it yet. They told me it takes a very long time if I didnt pay for the expedite shipping. Gosh! 3 weeks now!

And if they start cancelling the old one 14 days from the request, they better speed up their processing!

My account still has both cards active.  I applied something like Jan 7, it was "transferred" Jan 12, and I think it arrived and I activated it around Jan 21.  So I will see if it gets turned off soon.

Message 3 of 17
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

And if they start cancelling the old one 14 days from the request, they better speed up their processing!

My account still has both cards active.  I applied something like Jan 7, it was "transferred" Jan 12, and I think it arrived and I activated it around Jan 21.  So I will see if it gets turned off soon.

Does the new card have the Original Opening Date of the old card ???  Thx

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 4 of 17
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@newportguy wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

The second card hasn't reported to a CRA that I watch yet, but I will hopefully know soon.  The card does say "Member Since 13" whereas the old one says "Member Since 12".  I was wondering too because if they are separate records I have two very recent cards bringing down AAoA.

I would hope that the newer (more automated?) process might be able to handle the matching of accounts better, but I'll have to let someone else find that out.

Message 5 of 17
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@newportguy wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

@chnceit wrote:

The second card hasn't reported to a CRA that I watch yet, but I will hopefully know soon.  The card does say "Member Since 13" whereas the old one says "Member Since 12".  I was wondering too because if they are separate records I have two very recent cards bringing down AAoA.

I would hope that the newer (more automated?) process might be able to handle the matching of accounts better, but I'll have to let someone else find that out.

Ok Thx !!! I would not want to convert yet if it means a new TL for me . Let us know when you find out for sure.

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 6 of 17
pkosheta
Contributor

I could not be happier now that I have seen this.  I went and submitted it and am very excited to use it exclusively for my trip to Europe in a few months.  No annual fee, chip and pin, no forex fees.  A chase card has chip and sig, not chip in pin Which means u never know if it will work or be accepted Overseas.  Sure MasterCard and visa say the merchant must still take them, but YMMV I imagine despitentheir company line.  Penfed made me smile tonight.

Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 7 of 17
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@pkosheta wrote:

I could not be happier now that I have seen this.  I went and submitted it and am very excited to use it exclusively for my trip to Europe in a few months.  No annual fee, chip and pin, no forex fees.  A chase card has chip and sig, not chip in pin Which means u never know if it will work or be accepted Overseas.  Sure MasterCard and visa say the merchant must still take them, but YMMV I imagine despitentheir company line.  Penfed made me smile tonight.

It is chip&pin but defaults to chip&sig, only using PIN for "unattended" purchases.  Which is certainly better than nothing, but not as useful as default to chip&pin.  I'll be trying it out in about two weeks in the UK, and compare to my "real" chip&pin (UK) card

Message 8 of 17
pkosheta
Contributor

Thanks for the info, still better than what was before.  Besides when u really need the chip and pin is those unattended places where u can't get anyone to help and The machines only take chip and pin.  I've heard some train ticket issues can creep up.  Please let us know how it goes, there won't be a lot of info about this change for a while because it is pretty new and a pretty niche card issuer.

Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 9 of 17
dodgeball
Established Contributor

I live in germany for the last seven years and never have...

I live in germany for the last seven years and never have I seen the need to have a pin or a chip, the normal american credit card just works fine

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.