Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed Platinum Rewards Card

tag
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Penfed Platinum Rewards Card

I've been wanting to pick up this card for a while for the gas/supermarket cash back.  I'm wondering if I should pull the trigger now or wait it out a bit more.

Does anyone know sort of the rough AAoA, max util % they'll tolerate?  I just opened a NavCheck account through NFCU last month - would this frighten them off?  My Fico is sitting around 725 or so right now.  I've have been at my present job for a few years now, but will be moving in a few months.  I've always heard Penfed really likes a long employment history, so I'm wondering if I'd have to "reset the clock" a little with the new job if I waited?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

Re: Penfed Platinum Rewards Card

For the risk of a hard pull, I'd go for it now.  I think they are a little bit of a pain but 5% gas anytime is sweet. Of course, with Chase Freedom and Discover options to purchase gas cards some qrts, you may be able to get 5% yr around for all intents and purposes.

My AAoA was likely about 6 yrs at the time.  Job for 6 yrs  FICO ~ 740.  Util% ~ 10%.  Several new CC ccounts over last 15 months as well.

If there is another reason aside from a pull that you are hesitating, perhaps I missed it.

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 2 of 14
winner88
Contributor

You should be fine.,.

I applied back in January with AAoA @ 3 years and 701 EQ FICo .. denied

Applied ago last month AAoA 2.4 years 760 EQ FICO approved for only $4k recon for higher limit denied for Pyramiding debt (whatever that means)

EQ 772
TU 764
Message 3 of 14
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Darn, applied and was turned down for the following reasons:

Amount owed on accounts.
Lack of recently established accounts.
Length of time accounts have been established.

My FICO was sitting at 731 at the time of appliyng, with around 24% UTIL.  I guess I will maybe wait for my UTIL to be <=9% and try again?

My average AoA is sitting at 2 years, 7 months.  No negatives, lates, etc. whatsoever.

Message 4 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Brusilov wrote:

Darn, applied and was turned down for the following reasons:

Amount owed on accounts.
Lack of recently established accounts.
Length of time accounts have been established.

My FICO was sitting at 731 at the time of appliyng, with around 24% UTIL.  I guess I will maybe wait for my UTIL to be <=9% and try again?

My average AoA is sitting at 2 years, 7 months.  No negatives, lates, etc. whatsoever.

Yes, given the relatively young AAoA, that utilization is going to be too high for Penfed.

Also, make sure you stay up to date on what the card will offer.   Their newer card, Penfed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature, is going to be 3% gas, 2% supermarket, 1% everything else after Oct (until then 5/3/1).  My *guess* is that the Platinum Rewards will follow suit at some point, as it is unusual for a card to offer better rewards than the flagship card.  But no definitive news on this yet.

At 3/2/1 there are other choices that are better for some, but you might want a Penfed relationship for other reasons.

Message 5 of 14
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Other than Amex Blue Cash or US Bank Cash+ are there any other good cards for groceries (2-3+% cashback)?

Message 6 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Brusilov wrote:

Other than Amex Blue Cash or US Bank Cash+ are there any other good cards for groceries (2-3+% cashback)?

For pure cash back:

Fidelity Amex, 2% on everything.

Bank of America Cash Rewards: 2% on groceries (and 3% on gas) first $1500 per quarter

SallieMae: 5% on first $250 per month

come to mind and I am sure there are others.

Edit: And if you can be "good", Citi 5x Thank You (from branches only, not online) 5% uncapped on groceries, gas, and drug stores for 12 months.  "Good" here probably means no buying of gift cards or anything similar.

Message 7 of 14
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Well, I don't know if I was feeling app-happy or what, but on a whim I checked the BofA site for pre-approved offers.  The Cash Rewards card came up as an offer, and I pulled the trigger!  Approved instantly for $5,000.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 8 of 14
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Brusilov wrote:

For pure cash back:

Fidelity Amex, 2% on everything.

Bank of America Cash Rewards: 2% on groceries (and 3% on gas) first $1500 per quarter

SallieMae: 5% on first $250 per month

come to mind and I am sure there are others.

Edit: And if you can be "good", Citi 5x Thank You (from branches only, not online) 5% uncapped on groceries, gas, and drug stores for 12 months.  "Good" here probably means no buying of gift cards or anything similar.

I thought they ended this completely now while Citi is busy with their witch hunt. Plus the changing of the rewards structure in July.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 9 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@b_seeker wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

I thought they ended this completely now while Citi is busy with their witch hunt. Plus the changing of the rewards structure in July.

What ended is the old link to the 5X Thank You Preferred (which while working gave you 6K TYP bonus for a very small spend).   Now, at the branch, you can get a 5X Thank You card (not preferred) with a 15K bonus for a slightly larger spend.  Same features as the old one, uncapped 5x Gas, Groceries, Drug store.

It's certainly possible that this offer will end in or before July when the new structure comes in, or it might continue with both.

But while the witch hunt is on, and no reversals in the courts, no manufactured spend at all would be the sensible approach (and it's still a very good offer without doing that.   Just the difference between $1000 cash back per year and $30K+ cash back a year!)

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.