Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed Website

tag
smallfry
Senior Contributor

Re: Penfed Website

OK so I used the card on the way home from work and the available balance does not reflect the charge. Aside from Walmart this is my only card that does not update available balance immediately.
Message 21 of 33
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@smallfry wrote:
OK so I used the card on the way home from work and the available balance does not reflect the charge. Aside from Walmart this is my only card that does not update available balance immediately.

What did you buy and where?
Message 22 of 33
DI
Super Contributor

@smallfry wrote:

I wonder if one make a purchase and maxed the card out, and later try to make another purchase, will they get declined even though the available balance not up to date?

Message 23 of 33
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

DI wrote:

smallfry wrote:

I wonder if one make a purchase and maxed the card out, and later try to make another purchase, will they get declined even though the available balance not up to date?

A charge will be approved or declined based on the reported available balance on the CC.

Gasoline purchases paid at the pump are off line transactions and are routinely authorized for $1, so the available credit declines by $1, a barely noticeable amount. The remainder is reflected on the account when the charge is posted and matched up with the authorization. Hence my question above.

(There are exceptions to the $1. Sometimes the fixed $ authorization is much higherparticularly at diesel pumps. This can cause tremendous problems if you are authorized for $60 and only pump $20. Any station I find doing this goes on my banned list immediately.)

Message 24 of 33
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

@smallfry wrote:

What did you buy and where?

Drug store in my hometown.

Message 25 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love PenFed.
Message 26 of 33
smallfry
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I love PenFed.

me too but their website is archaic.

Message 27 of 33
wmarat
Valued Contributor

You can not have it all.

@smallfry wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I love PenFed.

me too but their website is archaic.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 28 of 33
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

I wanted to report on my first payment activity with PenFed. My first statement cut date was yesterday, Sept. 24th. I zeroed my balance out on the 22nd. The payment credited just fine and showed up the next day.

Then, on the morning of the 24th a Verizon bill and a recent gas charge showed up. It wouldn't have hurt me to let the balance show, but I wanted to experiment. I went online and paid it the morning of Sept. 24th, my statement cut date. Today, the 25th, the payment is there, and it zeroed out my statement balance...except that I actually have a $24 credit for my rewards.

I was impressed. With my National City, for example, they don't allow payments within 4 days of each other. With them, I often think I've zeroed my balance...then a new charge shows up...but I'm not allowed to make a 2nd payment. (I do know that I could use bill pay and push a payment, but I like to pay through the cc site if I can.)

I also like the fact that they actually give you your rewards on the statement without having to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the credit. So far...so good.

Message 29 of 33
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@LynetteM wrote:

I wanted to report on my first payment activity with PenFed. My first statement cut date was yesterday, Sept. 24th. I zeroed my balance out on the 22nd. The payment credited just fine and showed up the next day.

Then, on the morning of the 24th a Verizon bill and a recent gas charge showed up. It wouldn't have hurt me to let the balance show, but I wanted to experiment. I went online and paid it the morning of Sept. 24th, my statement cut date. Today, the 25th, the payment is there, and it zeroed out my statement balance...except that I actually have a $24 credit for my rewards.

I was impressed. With my National City, for example, they don't allow payments within 4 days of each other. With them, I often think I've zeroed my balance...then a new charge shows up...but I'm not allowed to make a 2nd payment. (I do know that I could use bill pay and push a payment, but I like to pay through the cc site if I can.)

I also like the fact that they actually give you your rewards on the statement without having to jump through a bunch of hoops to get the credit. So far...so good.

+1

This foots with my personal experiences.

Message 30 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.