cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed back to school promotion offering 5% cash back starting Aug. 1 until Sept. 30, 2009

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Penfed back to school promotion offering 5% cash back starting Aug. 1 until Sept. 30, 2009

Starting August 1, 2009 until Sept. 30, 2009 only! Head to the top of the class this back-to-school season with PenFed's VISA Platinum Cash Rewards credit card.

Whether shopping for school supplies, a new computer, software or books, you'll get 5% Cash Back on eligible purchases when you visit retailers such as those below! †

You'll continue to recieve the same great cash rewards you already get on your purchases using your PenFed VISA Platinum Cash Rewards card:

5% back on gasoline purchases
2% back on supermarket purchases
1.25% back on everything else!

https://www.penfed.org/productsAndRates/creditCards/backToSchool.asp?adcode=3010&utm_source=penfed&u...

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Penfed back to school promotion offering 5% cash back starting Aug. 1 until Sept. 30, 2009

I can't tell --is this just on new apps??

I have got to start reading my PenFed e-mails! 5% cash back on a MacBook Pro? I could definitely handle that...

Thanks for posting this.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Penfed back to school promotion offering 5% cash back starting Aug. 1 until Sept. 30, 2009

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
I can't tell --is this just on new apps??

I have got to start reading my PenFed e-mails! 5% cash back on a MacBook Pro? I could definitely handle that...

Thanks for posting this.

This applies to all PenFed cardholders. 

Message 3 of 8
pattycake
Established Contributor

NICE!!!!  My card will arrive just in time.  
pattycake's FICOs: 6/2/10 - TU: 708; EX: ???; EQ: 749
Message 4 of 8
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

This promotion is phat and covers lots of things you might not think it would. They are also stating that it combines with other discount available here:

http://usa.visa.com/specialOffers/PentagonFederalCreditUnion_ConsumerCredit_1/offers.jsp

Looks like it's deal time starting tomorrow!

(Unfortunately this is the end of the airfare 5% CB promo.)

Message 5 of 8
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

CSR just confirmed that it really is also for current cardholders.

Soooooo, 5% cash back on laptops, Tennessee has a sales tax holiday next weekend... * smacks lips *
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 8
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I have not heard one word about our tax holiday this year. FL is so cheesy they probably aren't having it again.
They didn't even vote on it this year. No need for Her Ladyship to hear about this. She already has one foot in TN.
Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-31-2009 09:33 PM
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditwherecreditisdue wrote:
I have not heard one word about our tax holiday this year. FL is so cheesy they probably aren't having it again.
Message Edited by creditwherecreditisdue on 07-31-2009 09:31 PM

Nope. none in FL this year.

• AlabamaAugust 7-9, covers clothing <$100 per item, computers/software/computer supplies <$750, school supplies <$50 per item, books <$30 per item. Not all counties participate so here's the list of participating counties in Alabama.
  • ConnecticutAugust 16-22, clothing and footwear <$300.
  • District of Columbia – No official announcement but it’s usually a week in August and a week in November, clothing/accessories/shoes <$100 and school supplies <$100. In 2008, the dates were August 1-9 and November 27 - December 6.
  • Florida – No sales tax holidays in Florida in 2009, they must vote on it this year and the issue wasn’t raised this year. [cancelled]
  • Georgia – HB 120, which would enact this year’s sales tax holiday, was sent to the governor on 4/13/2009 to be signed into law. It calls for the dates to be July 30 – August 2 on clothing <$100, computer/equipment < $1500, school supplies <$20; the bill also establishes a tax free week for energy efficient appliances <$1500 for October 1 – 4. [pending]
  • IowaAugust 7-8, covers clothing/footwear <$100 per item.
  • Louisiana – Usually has two sales tax holidays during the year. The first is usually the first Friday and Saturday in August (August 7 – 8 for 2009) for “tangible personal property for non-business use” for items less than $2,500. The second in the end of May is on hurricane preparedness items less than $1,500. I couldn’t find any information on the LA Dept of Revenue website on a 2009 sales tax holiday date [status unknown].
  • Massachusetts – Has not yet established the dates of the sales tax holiday but is usually the third weekend in August, covers anything with a sale price <$2,500 with some exceptions. Last year, the bill was signed into law at the end of July. Massachusetts has participated five years in a row, I anticipate they’ll do the same this year. [pending]
  • MississippiJuly 31 – August 1, clothing/footwear <$100.
  • MissouriAugust 7-9, clothing <$100 each, school supplies <$50 each, computer/equipment <$3500. We've also already passed the Missouri sales tax holiday on energy star products (April 19-25), called the Show-Me Green Sales Tax Holiday.
  • New MexicoAugust 7-9, clothing/footwear <$100 each, school supplies <$15 each, computers <$1000 and computer equipment <$500.
  • North CarolinaAugust 7-9, covers clothing <$100 per item, school instructional materials <$300 per item, sports & rec equipment <$50 per item, computers/software/computer supplies <$250 per item. November 6-8 for qualified energy star rated appliances for non-business purposes.
  • OklahomaAugust 7-9, covers clothing/footwear <$100 each.
  • Rhode Island – Rhode Island tried to pass a sales tax holiday bill but the state budget crisis precluded its passage for 2009.
  • South CarolinaAugust 7-9, exempts clothing, school supplies computers & computer software, towels, sheets, and other items. October 1-31 exempts certain qualified Energy Star items for personal use less than $2,5000. November 27-28, exempts handguns, rifles, and shotguns excluding antique/collectible handguns.
  • TennesseeAugust 7-9 – Clothing <$100 per item, School and Art Supplies <$100 per item, and Computers <$1500 per bundled package
  • TexasAugust 21-23, clothing/footwear <$100, backpacks <$100; May 23-25 exempts certain energy star qualified products.
  • Virginia – There are three holidays for 2009 in May, August, and October. May 25-31, designated hurricane preparedness equiment priced <$60 per item and portable generators priced <$1,000 per item. August 7-9, back-to-school sales tax holiday on school supplies <$20 per item and clothing & footwear <$100 per item. Finally, October 9-12, energy savings sales tax holiday on Energy Star Qualified products including appliances purchased for noncommercial home or personal use <$2,500 each.
  • West VirginiaSeptember 1 – November 30, exempts energy star products up to $5,000.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.