Established Member
acguy

Penfed cc application

I applied for a credit card through Penfed two months ago. At the time my equifax score was 740. I was denied due to high util on existing cards. Since then I have gotten my utl down to 20%. Before it was at 85%. I have no new inquires besides 1 in 6 months. My credit score is now 797. should i consider it safe to reapply for credit card.
Moderator Emeritus
llecs

Re: Penfed cc application

Personally I'd wait at least a month just in case they try to use the same inquiry from before. I was denied at 18% util, but their concern was that the balances were disapportionate to my income.
Regular Contributor
spiritcraft1

A side note / question...  How did you maintain a 740 EQ with 85% UTL???

Earlier this year after a change from being employed to running our biz full time, I went from 745 (0% UTL) to 612 (65% UTL) I have now rebounded only to 676 after paying off 20K and being 20% UTL!!!   Nothing has changed...  I have more age, no new accts. since 11-08, no INQ's etc...    You seem to be golden...

11/6/09 TU 724 / EX 739 (FICO from CU) / EQ 701
Established Member
acguy

Im not really sure how I got a 740 score with 85% utl. I have never had any lates, collections etc. Maybe that helped. However, what I have noticed is a great score really doesnt mean much anymore. Lenders are looking at your whole credit profile. Im not realyy sure how the score models work, but I dont think they really reflect your credit worthiness when figuring your score.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+