Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed-- how long should I wait

tag
oracles
Valued Contributor

Penfed-- how long should I wait

I know Penfed does not like alot of inquiries. I have not applied for credit in 3 months. How long should i wait so they wont denied me for too many inquiries? Thanks

I forgot to add- I know they do not like new accounts, therefore how long should i wait. I really would love a Penfed card and just want to make sure i do everything correctly. Thanks 

Message Edited by oracles on 10-15-2008 12:04 AM
Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Penfed-- how long should I wait

4 months and change for me.

But they seem to use a sliding scale or version thereof. So if you've applied or gotten a new account within the previous six months, you'd better have higher scores to compensate. Or if you have some lates, you'd better have nice, low util. And so forth.

I think that six months is a useful guideline, and if someone can't stand to wait, this should prompt them to see if they're ahead of the crowd in the other areas.

Oh, and remember that they will only see your EQ inqs, but they will see all new accounts, even those that came from EX or TU pulls.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jmbfl
Valued Contributor

No new credit or inquiries for at least six months before app'ing PenFed.
Message 2 of 5
wmarat
Valued Contributor

They approved me agter 5 months.
IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 3 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

4 months and change for me.

But they seem to use a sliding scale or version thereof. So if you've applied or gotten a new account within the previous six months, you'd better have higher scores to compensate. Or if you have some lates, you'd better have nice, low util. And so forth.

I think that six months is a useful guideline, and if someone can't stand to wait, this should prompt them to see if they're ahead of the crowd in the other areas.

Oh, and remember that they will only see your EQ inqs, but they will see all new accounts, even those that came from EX or TU pulls.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 5
score_building
Senior Contributor

one of the reasons they listed for my recent denial for loan products after becoming a member was too many new accounts.  oldest acct:  21 years  youngest acct:  8 months  aaoa: 6 years.  all of my other accounts are at least 18 months so i'm not clear when they'll be old enough not to be considered new.  i was also a bit surprised to find they cited my only baddie on eq, a 4 year 8 months old late on an sl as a reason for denial since i thought they may not focus on a isolated instance of late pay over 4 years old Smiley Sad YMMV.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.