Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed or Navy

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Penfed or Navy

I just joined NFCU.  Weighing if I should apply for the cash rewards card or not.  I am preapproved for it and my scores are 650 from all 3.  What do you guys think my credit limit would be with that card?  Rough estimate?

Message 11 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Just apply!
Message 12 of 19
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

I joined PenFed last year to start building a relationship with them.  I opened a savings, checking and LOC/Overdraft account.   If I could have joined NFCU, I would have.  Neither has a CC I am interested in.   I am interested in their CDs.   I also wanted to be a member in case I ever needed another mortgage.  They run some nice mortgage specials occasionally.  If I needed a mortgage in a hurry, I wouldn't want the extra HPs to join the CU's I might want a mortgage from.

For me, the main drawback to joining credit unions is you need to keep at least a little money in each one.  In the case of a PenFed checking account, you need to either keep $500 in checking or have a DD to not pay a service fee each month.  I also setup a small, automatic ACH each quarter to make sure none of my CU accounts goes dormant and gets charged an inactivity fee.   I look at it as a forced way to save.

Message 13 of 19
8in2years
Regular Contributor

Navy is the bomb. I don't have any experience with Penfed, but Navy is very generous and EASY to work with for sure.
Message 14 of 19
8in2years
Regular Contributor

Yes, please apply Now.

Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditDunce wrote:

I joined PenFed last year to start building a relationship with them.  I opened a savings, checking and LOC/Overdraft account.   If I could have joined NFCU, I would have.  Neither has a CC I am interested in.   I am interested in their CDs.   I also wanted to be a member in case I ever needed another mortgage.  They run some nice mortgage specials occasionally.  If I needed a mortgage in a hurry, I wouldn't want the extra HPs to join the CU's I might want a mortgage from.

For me, the main drawback to joining credit unions is you need to keep at least a little money in each one.  In the case of a PenFed checking account, you need to either keep $500 in checking or have a DD to not pay a service fee each month.  I also setup a small, automatic ACH each quarter to make sure none of my CU accounts goes dormant and gets charged an inactivity fee.   I look at it as a forced way to save.

This is the same deal with my BoA account. I gotta keep 500 bucks in my savings and only can have 8k and under deposited into checking each month. Not that I've ever exceeded, but months where there are 3 pay checks, plus freelance work, plus just moving money around like I do. I'm trying to end my relationship with them. I'm super interested in investment products too. NFCU had an easy start 1yr cd at like 3.0 or something. But I would assume penfed being more exclusive would have great products too.

Message 16 of 19
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

For investments, I love Vanguard.  They aren't exciting, but they have rock bottom costs.  For long term investing, costs really matter.  But I don't have any experience with PenFed or NFCU investment products.   I can't offer any advice on their mutual/bond funds.

Penfed used to have great rates on CDs.  Currently, their rates are ok, but nothing special.   But who knows, their rates could increase at anytime.   That is a great rate for NFCU's Easy start CD.   If you join and move your DD to NFCU,  it would be an easy $90 a year (minus taxes).   Not earth shattering, but a nice bonus for having a NFCU account.

After the 3k max in the NFCU CD, you could think about US saving bonds.  I-Bonds are better than most current CD's.  They will at least keep up with inflation and have a few tax benefits.

EDIT: I see you are are looking to buy a house next year.  If the money you are putting into CDs is for the house next year, I-Bonds are probably not the best place.   I-Bonds are best with a minimum 5 year investment time line.  Sorry bad advice.

Message 17 of 19
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

NAVY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Message 18 of 19
MaisCher
Frequent Contributor

Navy!

You don't need to keep a min. balance or have a DD for their free checking option. I tossing around the idea of making them my main bank vs USAA but I may wait a while longer.

Current Score: EQ 699 TU 719 EX ? as of April-2016

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.