sure

Penfed reducing cash back % starting 02/2010

[ Edited ]

Don't know where my other thread went about this but like I said Penfed is reducing their rewards on every day purchases starting in February. It is now included in their new T&C. It's a glorified gas card with poor customer service now.

Admin note:  Sorry sure (aka Partsworks aka hobojon) but your other thread was deleted and you have been permanently banned from this community for repeatedly violating our Terms of Service.  This thread has NOT been locked so others may continue to post.... :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Barry on 12-09-2009 05:51 PM
Super Contributor
DI

Re: Penfed reducing cash back % starting 02/2010

sure wrote:
Don't know where my other thread went about this but like I said Penfed is reducing their rewards on every day purchases starting in February. It is now included in their new T&C. It's a glorified gas card with poor customer service now.

Welcome to the forum.  What other thread are you referring to?  Is it under a different member's name?  Anyway, did you receive a notice indicating the reduction of cash back?  I ask because maybe it doesn't apply to all of PenFed's cardholders.  

Senior Contributor
txjohn

DI wrote:

sure wrote:

Welcome to the forum.  What other thread are you referring to?  Is it under a different member's name?  Anyway, did you receive a notice indicating the reduction of cash back?  I ask because maybe it doesn't apply to all of PenFed's cardholders.  

If there is a change to Rewards, this will be uniform and universal, not different to individual accounts.

Credit Scoring 101 - Tuscani   *  Guide to Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads * FICO High Achievers  *  FICO Score Estimator

09/03/2009 TU: 777, EQ: 776 ($8 balance on an account dropped me out of 780's)
03/28/2009 TU: 814, EQ: 810, EX: 781 (02/12/2009)
05/18/2005 TU: 563, EQ: 580, EX: 549
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet, but I'll keep an eye out.

I did check my most recent online statement from a few days ago, and there's nothing there, and I couldn't find anything on the website itself.

If they actually are doing this, just leave me the lovely 5% gas and 2% groceries, and I won't really miss the other that much. A quarter of a percentage point better than my USAA cards --not the end of the world.

I'm still amazed that they've kept the level of rewards that they have.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Regular Contributor
idmd

I haven't read anything either. I agree if they keep gas and groceries I'll still probably make about $1000 back this year in cash rewards :smileyhappy: Lowering the other cash back rewards would actually just make the choice of using my USAA Mastercard/Amex easier for all other purchases.

Wow "Sure", "Partsworks" or whoever else he posts under is on a tear over PenFed. I don't know…..$1000 worth of rewards per year just for using a card seems cool in my book. Wondering what the whole story is there……???   

Super Contributor
DI

txjohn wrote:

DI wrote:

sure wrote:

If there is a change to Rewards, this will be uniform and universal, not different to individual accounts.

Exactly.  What I was getting at with the OP is that I haven't received any notices from Penfed.

Regular Contributor
johnson_long

They have it posted on the website and of course it's buried in the fine print,

https://www.penfed.org/usedbehindpin/creditcardsummaryofterms.asp?app=bt&adcode=301&utm_source=weekly&utm_medium=email&utm_content=fw200911&cmpid=email-weekly-301-rewards%20200911

Important note: Visa USA determines which transactions are classified as paid at the pump and which stores are classified as supermarkets. Fuel purchases for airplanes and boats receive a rebate of 1.25% PenFed reserves the right to modify these programs at any time. Effective, February 1, 2010 all other net purchases receive 1% including fuel purchases for airplanes and boats.

Valued Contributor
Jazzzy

It's there, unless I'm reading it wrong.

We use PenFed for gas and groceries and AmEx Delta SkyMiles for everything else, so this doesn't affect us much. What we were also doing, however, was using PenFed if a merchant didn't take AmEx. That spending will now go to my National City card, where I do get 1.25%.

I think PenFed owes us an announcement instead of fine print. We knew that rewards cards would get hit in this environment...but they need to tell us.

Am I reading it wrong?

Regular Contributor
Ishmael109

I only use the card for gas and groceries, so this really is not a big deal in the scheme of things for me. I'm glad that they decided to shave off the .25%  in the for "everything else" category, rather than reduce the % in the gas and grocery categories. Just my 2 cents, and YMMV.
Moderator Emerita
Community Leader
Epic Contributor
haulingthescoreup

johnson_long wrote:

They have it posted on the website and of course it's buried in the fine print,

https://www.penfed.org/usedbehindpin/creditcardsummaryofterms.asp?app=bt&adcode=301&utm_source=weekly&utm_medium=email&utm_content=fw200911&cmpid=email-weekly-301-rewards%20200911

Important note: Visa USA determines which transactions are classified as paid at the pump and which stores are classified as supermarkets. Fuel purchases for airplanes and boats receive a rebate of 1.25% PenFed reserves the right to modify these programs at any time. Effective, February 1, 2010 all other net purchases receive 1% including fuel purchases for airplanes and boats.

Ah, good find! Time to upgrade my reading glasses (again.)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}