Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed

tag
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

Re: Penfed

Yes, I'm looking into joining a CU and moving away from Chase.

NFCU sounds amazing, but I missed that boat.

Reading about PenFed pulls me away as I have low-mid scores, low income and a couple baddies.

I'm def not their target audience.
Message 11 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

For every bad thing someone finds about Pf, you'll also find a good thing. And vice versa about Navy. Navy is amazing but their online communication is horrible. You apply for something, only way you find out results ( if approved) is if it shows up in your account. Both PF and Navy could work on their response times to sm's, if you get back a reply. This has been my experience so gotta take the good with the bad. If Pf was handing out limits like Navy im pretty sure there would be more PF luvinSmiley Wink. Just my really average , almost midweek ,thoughts for todaySmiley Wink
Message 12 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Haven't been with either terribly long, but about the same amount of time with each for me.

I've had only good experiences with PenFed. CSRs have been helpful, just as much as Navy, and have gone beyond any 'normal' bank I've ever used. Only thing I haven't liked is the limits the put on moving money in or out of accounts and the lag time for posting payments from PenFed checking to CC
Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm definitely there on PenFed - the 'new member training wheels' are a real pain to work around...but they're my first and only 2% CB card, so I put up with it *sigh*

Message 14 of 24
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
For every bad thing someone finds about Pf, you'll also find a good thing. And vice versa about Navy. Navy is amazing but their online communication is horrible. You apply for something, only way you find out results ( if approved) is if it shows up in your account. Both PF and Navy could work on their response times to sm's, if you get back a reply. This has been my experience so gotta take the good with the bad. If Pf was handing out limits like Navy im pretty sure there would be more PF luvinSmiley Wink. Just my really average , almost midweek ,thoughts for todaySmiley Wink

+1  This exactly.

Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Loquat wrote:

+1  This exactly.

I've been a member of NFCU for over 30 years (eek, I'm old) and PenFed for just 2.  NFCU will always be my favorite but PenFed has become a close second.  Customer service has been outstanding the few times I had contact with them and they have been very generous in giving me credit.

Message 16 of 24
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

No doubt if your profile supports it Penfed can be very generous. I think this is whats missed sometimes. It happened to me at the begining but now i understand it better. Sometimes when all someone sees are these huge limits given out by Navy, we assume its our right or we should all get them , even from PF ( as they seemed to be giving out pretty good limits about a year ago). What many fail to realize is that our profiles are different and many who have gotten those limits, their profiles and incomes support them . I know their are odd cases, happens with many bank cards as well just look at Discover when they give someone with a really thin file a 12k sl while other more established files struggle to get that kind of luvin.Best thing we can do with these CU's is work on our own profiles and get them in best possible shape. Good things will happen eventuallySmiley Happy
Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are right on with that statement.

Message 18 of 24
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@ChessChik47 wrote:

Wow!  I just joined PENFED on Friday....this thread is scaring me.  I read so many good sentiments about PENFED which is what helped me make the decision to join.  

Well, don't let this thread scare you, I just joined in early May and am pleased enough with them that I moved my payroll direct deposit to them. I am a bit surprised by the negativity in the thread. I have no experience with Navy Federal, I was unwilling to email them everything an ID thief would need just to open an account as a Navy League SD member, and was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to open a Penfed account online with my Navy League membership.

No, Penfed doesn't hand out credit cards with high limits like it was candy, but they are reasonable with CCs with at least mid range scores & profiles, and are very good with mortgage/home equity and car loans. But as a new member be prepared for account restrictions which in my opinion are asinine and insulting. For the first 6 months as a member if you link external bank account within Penfed you can't "pull" more than $50/day in deposits to them; however if you link Penfed accounts from within your external accounts there is no limit on deposits you can "push" to Penfed. And even more insulting any payments you make on your Penfed CC aren't released to Available Credit for 10 calendar days, even if the payment is made from a Penfed account. And on the mobile app, the check deposit feature is disabled as a new member.

When I spoke to a rep about this she kept saying "there's just so much fraud", so I'm guessing Penfed has had unacceptable losses from new members who turned out to be con artists. But if that's the case improve your new member application screening process (for example,they never asked me for proof of my NL membership) and tighten internal controls. But don't make every new member feel like they're suspected of being a criminal until they prove themselves otherwise. But on the other hand, Navy Fed didn't even trust their own employees to open an account in branch if you were applying with Navy League membership and automatically shutting down accounts opened online with NL membership. So, apparently there is "just so much fraud" out there.  But then, in the past couple of years I've opened accounts with Chase, Wells Fargo and 2 local CUs and they managed to screen me well enough to figure out I'm not a crook and didn't place any new account restrictions.

Message 19 of 24
bigpoppa09
Established Contributor

Update to this fiasco i logged into my Penfed account the credit card was gone only my savings account was listed  so card fianlly arrived called number on sticker it said card was activavted  i called rep asked why card wasn't  showing in my account he said no worries it will tomorrow. I asked him before i hung up is card active and ready he said its good to go.  Ok i hang up and tried to add the card to Samsung Pay it said to call bank so i called member services back get another rep i said i was trying to add the card to Samsung Pay she said ok let me take a look she comes back and says card is temporary froze because they want 2 Years W2s and pay stub and DL and utility bill. I will not be providing docs i didn't overstate my income its not worth all that for a toy limit they gave i know its there right to ask.  They are very backwards why approve a card and send the card u supposed to ask for docs first.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.