Did you mean: 

Penfed

tag
Tg123
Regular Contributor

Re: EditRe: Penfed

So I don't have to renew every year?
Forward, Zync, Freedom, BofA Cash Rewards

Current Score: 738 BOA Experian (5/29/2012)

GOAL: 800s
Message 11 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@Lel wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Are ALL government employees eligible to join PenFed?  I didn't see my agency listed...

No.  Just those who work for those divisions listed.

Damn.  I guess I need to put out a craigslist ad for a PenFed eligible roommate.  

No, you missed what was written. If you don't fit one of the employment-eligible categories, you can qualify by joining National Military Families Association (it supports military families; you don't have to be in a military family) or by joining the American Red Cross.

Anyone can join PenFed.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 12 of 24
Tg123
Regular Contributor

Sorry I don't know how to include the message I'm responding to. I was referring to the national military family association. I see that it costs $20 annually. I was asking whether I would need to renew this membership in order to stay a part of penfed. How does one go about joining the red cross?

Message 13 of 24
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Tg123 wrote:
Sorry I don't know how to include the message I'm responding to. I was referring to the national military family association. I see that it costs $20 annually. I was asking whether I would need to renew this membership in order to stay a part of penfed. How does one go about joining the red cross?

To do this just click "Quote" to include the post you are responding to.

That membership to the NMFA is a one time non renewable charge. This if from the PenFed website:

We can establish your membership eligibility through either
National Military Family Association or Voices for America's Troops.

National Military Family Association LogoVoices of America's Troops Logo

• Low, one-time only $20 fee (fee is tax deductible non-refundable donation)
  • Membership is open to anyone
  • You do not have to retain the National Military Family Association membership to stay a member with PenFed
  • National Military Family Association is the U.S.'s top-rated military charity. It helps support the needs of families and children, including those of the deployed, wounded, and fallen.

• Low, one-time only $15 fee (non-refundable membership fee)
  • Membership is open to anyone
  • You do not have to retain the Voices for America's Troops membership to stay a member with PenFed
  • Voices for America’s Troops advocates for a strong national defense, including sustaining and improving quality of life programs for America’s troops, their families and survivors

As HTSU said you can also join the Red Cross. Access the website for more information.

Edited for a typo.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. I am interested in joining PenFed, and then applying for the cash back visa in about 6-12 months. I read that PenFed hits you with a HP when you join. Is the HP worth it to begin building a relationship now, or should I wait six months to join/apply for the card? Thanks.
Message 15 of 24
Tg123
Regular Contributor

Thanks marinevietvet! Very helpful

Message 16 of 24
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

I didn't know that they'd added in Voices for America's Troops. Thanks for posting this.

So anyway, that's three different ways that you can qualify for PenFed, regardless of your employer or where you live.

*resigns self to knowing that there will still be a ton more posts about how-I-can't-qualify-for-PenFed* Smiley Tongue

Oh, and to someone who asked earlier about whether it's a one-time deal for National Military Families, I can confirm that this is true --you only need to pay one time. They will send an endless amount of emails hoping that you'll keep paying, but you'll still be a member of PenFed if you don't.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 17 of 24
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Penfed

Ok, I read somewhere that once you had Penfed and dropped them, they don't let you back in. Not sure that's true, my Mother and I both wanted the discount for gas at the  pump (since my Father passed away I'm usually the one filling her cars as well). I tried to help her join online, it came back that she had to call or print out a signature card and mail it in. She called, they told her she was a member before. They didn't have a problem with her joining up again and she told them she wanted the visa with the gas discount.

They asked a few questions, income (about 66k, retired), 3 homes (including a couple rentals, paid for) cars (paid for), Dads rank at retirement (Major, WWII vet, full pension). Her score at joining\applying was 808 True Fico EQ. 41 years total history, 6 AAOA, 4 open accounts, 15 closed by user (all perfect of course), 1% utilization, 2 inqs showing I think.  They gave her a 12k line to start, good sign I figure. She told them to put me on there (surprised me, they asked her and she said yes without asking me, only if I wanted to be a joint or AU, I said AU as I know my numbers aren't near that good and didn't want them refusing her because of it or giving her a lower limit). She asked if they wanted her to fax her tax return or anything, the lady kind of laughed and said "no, that won't be necessary" and said she'd receive her cards in about a week to 10 days. Really nice on the phone too according to my Mother.

I have no idea if being put on the account as an AU will make any difference on my score or report or not. They did ask me for my SS number however. I know since I'll be paying my portion of the gas bill off each month that the card will probably never report more than 5% utilization (unless she needs something and decides that's the card to use, like if her AC unit needed replaced or something, she doesn't spend on anything unnecessary, esp on a CC).

Out of all the banks she's dealt with (or I have for that matter), I would have to say Penfed probably has some of the better deals and offers (I've been looking for a decent gas discount card), they also seem more personable on the phone etc.

P.S.:      Hope this doesn't post twice, it said it failed the first time so I'm trying again.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 18 of 24
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Congrats!  Your mother seems to have excellent credit and credit habits!  It's great you're an AU on such a wonderul card.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smiley Very Happy Smiley Very Happy This is GREAT info to know!  I just joined..

Thanks all

Thank you for joining the National Military Family Association! We appreciate your family’s support of military families -- and welcome you to our expanding community of supporters.

We will process your membership application within 72 hours, and send you a separate email with your username and password. You will then be able to log onto the website and access your member number and manage your personal contact information.  

As a member, you will enjoy benefits that include:

Questions? Please contact us at Membership@MilitaryFamily.org or call 703-931-6632, extension 324.

Please save this message for your tax records, since your membership dues are tax deductible. They are not refundable.

Please print the following for your records:

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.