cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People w/ rewards card - when do you PIF?

tag
ludawg23
Established Member

People w/ rewards card - when do you PIF?

Hello guys,

For those who use their credit cards for everyday use to rack up points/rewards, when do you usually pay it off?

Say you charge $100 for dinner one night.  Do you pay it off in full the next day or do you wait until the bank cuts a statement?

Just trying to figure out what the best way to go about this was.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

Re: People w/ rewards card - when do you PIF?

Hi, ludawg23!

I try to always pay in full online just before the statement cuts, so that a $0 balance reports to the credit bureaus.  But as long as you PIF on or before the due date, you're good to go!

Just to add something here...if you carry a balance on a rewards card (you don't PIF by the due date), you pretty much wipe out any benefit that the rewards card brings to you.  The interest rate on rewards cards is higher than non-rewards cards, too, so that's always something to consider when deciding which of your cards to use if you do need to carry a balance.

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 02-26-2010 01:41 PM
Message 2 of 11
ludawg23
Established Member

Hello Uborrow-Upay! Thank you for your prompt reply

That sounds good, I will make sure to keep track of all my purchases and make sure I PIF before they cut the statement.  Appreciate the help Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 11
DI
Super Contributor

@ludawg23 wrote:

Hello guys,

For those who use their credit cards for everyday use to rack up points/rewards, when do you usually pay it off?

Say you charge $100 for dinner one night.  Do you pay it off in full the next day or do you wait until the bank cuts a statement?

Just trying to figure out what the best way to go about this was.  Thanks.

Yes, on all 11 of my cards.  

Message 4 of 11
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

I pay by due date.   The rewards are the same.
Message 5 of 11
YoungEntrepeneur
Established Contributor

You have to pay before the grace period which varies by lender. As long as you pay off a purchase two weeks after the post date, you will be fine.
Message 6 of 11
credithappy
Regular Contributor

I always paid off my rewards card PIF before the due date so it will show on my credit report with a $0 balance. It is always good to pay in full.
Amex Green - Amex BCP - Amex Everyday Card - Amex Rose Gold - Elan Visa - Xcel FCU Visa - Walmart MC - Sam's MC - Macy's - Bloomingdales - Nordstrom - Sam's Club CC - Discover IT and US Bank Visa FlexPerks - AMEX HHonors - NAVcheck - NAVcashRewards Sig Visa, NAVgoRewards MC, Chase Amazon VISA, BoA CashRewards VISA - Chase Marriott Reward Premier CC, Jetblue Card MC, PenFed Power CR Visa Signature Card, Chase Freedom, Nordy VISA and BBVA
Message 7 of 11
Jazzzy
Valued Contributor

@credithappy wrote:
I always paid off my rewards card PIF before the due date so it will show on my credit report with a $0 balance. It is always good to pay in full.

Hi...and welcome to the forums.

Do you mean that you pay before the due date...or before the statement cuts? I always PIF just before the statement cuts, which shows a $0 balance on the credit reports. For most credit cards, it is the statement balance that is reported.

I do this for both my rewards and non-rewards cards...makes no difference.

Message 8 of 11
credithappy
Regular Contributor

Yes, I thought I said I paid in full before the due.  I like to paid all my bills early if I can so I will not be charge a late fee.  You know these banks have problems went you paid near the due dates.  They will try to charge you for every little thing. 

Amex Green - Amex BCP - Amex Everyday Card - Amex Rose Gold - Elan Visa - Xcel FCU Visa - Walmart MC - Sam's MC - Macy's - Bloomingdales - Nordstrom - Sam's Club CC - Discover IT and US Bank Visa FlexPerks - AMEX HHonors - NAVcheck - NAVcashRewards Sig Visa, NAVgoRewards MC, Chase Amazon VISA, BoA CashRewards VISA - Chase Marriott Reward Premier CC, Jetblue Card MC, PenFed Power CR Visa Signature Card, Chase Freedom, Nordy VISA and BBVA
Message 9 of 11
MidnightVoice
Super Contributor

When conveniant  Smiley Very Happy

It does not matter in terms of rewards when you pay.

The slide from grace is really more like gliding
And I've found the trick is not to stop the sliding
But to find a graceful way of staying slid
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.