Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People who only spend on one card

tag
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

Re: People who only spend on one card

@darkfrosty wrote:

Alright well I think im going to stay with chase UR points. They seem to easily be build up with csp / ink / freedom combo and the bank is local to me so if i need to make a payment I can just go to the branch. I have an amex plat and a edp as well and i think I am either going to cancel the edp or pc it to an SPG card. I had a freedom as well but closed it earlier this year but now I am thinking I want it again. It would be dumb to reapply for the card even though I canceled it like 2-3 months ago?

They have been know to frown on this, but a quick call to EO prior to apping can give them a heads up as to why you changed your mind, and they can even get you over to app on  phone.

Signature needs updating
Message 21 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

I put grocery spend on ED (soon to beccome BCP), dining on CSP, autopay utilities on AK Air Platinum, travel on AK Air Signature and rotate my categories with DGF's Freedom.  I found out reeeeeeeally quickly how terrible MR points are when I tried to redeem them for hotels/flights.  That is leading me to cancel my Green Card in two weeks and change my ED to BCP.  I'm all in on UR points now (80k in three months and climbing).

Message 22 of 32
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@darkfrosty wrote:

Alright well I think im going to stay with chase UR points. They seem to easily be build up with csp / ink / freedom combo and the bank is local to me so if i need to make a payment I can just go to the branch.

So you won't be putting all your spend on one card after all?

Make sure you're considering redemption with any point/miles rewards programs and not just the earning side.  Redemptions tend to have a significant impact on the value per point.

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

They have been know to frown on this

The issue is that they're looking to curtail churning for sign up bonuses and you don't want to look like you're doing this.

Message 23 of 32
darkfrosty
Established Contributor

I guess I should have cleared up my post. I meant one program .. like UR, MR, TY, SPG 

It wouldnt be churning considering I would not be eligible for the signup bonus since you need to have no had the card in 2 years in order to qualify for the points again.

CSR | Ink Business Preferred | Amex Platinum | NFCU Cash Rewards
Message 24 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@darkfrosty wrote:

Alright well I think im going to stay with chase UR points. They seem to easily be build up with csp / ink / freedom combo and the bank is local to me so if i need to make a payment I can just go to the branch. I have an amex plat and a edp as well and i think I am either going to cancel the edp or pc it to an SPG card. I had a freedom as well but closed it earlier this year but now I am thinking I want it again. It would be dumb to reapply for the card even though I canceled it like 2-3 months ago?

I hear you can call and ask them to re-open your card if you havent closed it for longer than about 3 months. Try that with the Freedom

Message 25 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I put grocery spend on ED (soon to beccome BCP), dining on CSP, autopay utilities on AK Air Platinum, travel on AK Air Signature and rotate my categories with DGF's Freedom.  I found out reeeeeeeally quickly how terrible MR points are when I tried to redeem them for hotels/flights.  That is leading me to cancel my Green Card in two weeks and change my ED to BCP.  I'm all in on UR points now (80k in three months and climbing).

Starky i'm curious, what trouble did you have reedeming MR pts for hotels/flights. Probably not as worth it redeeming on hotels but they have a lot of flight travel partners and if you can reserve thru their partner alliances.. 

Message 26 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Starky i'm curious, what trouble did you have reedeming MR pts for hotels/flights. Probably not as worth it redeeming on hotels but they have a lot of flight travel partners and if you can reserve thru their partner alliances.. 

I was looking forward to using the points through Delta but the transfer value is terrible (1 point = .75 miles :/).  Matter of fact all of them except for British Airways and Aeroplan have that transfer value.  I see that UR transfer partners include British Airways, Hilton and a few more I will absolutely use (Hyatt, Ritz-Carlton, United, Southwest, Singapore, Korean Air).  Plus all of UR transfers at 1:1 point value.  UR just feels like a better value to me because of that than MR.  

Message 27 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I was looking forward to using the points through Delta but the transfer value is terrible (1 point = .75 miles :/).  Matter of fact all of them except for British Airways and Aeroplan have that transfer value.  I see that UR transfer partners include British Airways, Hilton and a few more I will absolutely use (Hyatt, Ritz-Carlton, United, Southwest, Singapore, Korean Air).  Plus all of UR transfers at 1:1 point value.  UR just feels like a better value to me because of that than MR.  

You're not transferring the MR points right. Delta is known for bad value (skypesos) so you arent going to get value there. You should look at some pointers from The Points Guy. He has a lot of articles on how to redeem for value on flights. A lot of it you have to shop around and then book after you have transferred your points. A lot of the tix that you buy with miles should give you like 2 cpp or more. FlyingBlue, ANA, British Airways, and Aeroplan you can get good value if you look right. You arent going to get better than 1:1 with Delta or Hilton - they have terrible programs and always devalue.

Message 28 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

MR is great if you have the PRG, especially since sometimes airline partners have a bonus. Also if you transfer to non-US airlines you won't be charged a fee (correct me if I am wrong).

e.g. with PRG you get 3x on flights, 2x on gas and supermarkets.

If say you transfer to avios (British Airways) on a 50% bonus period. You are getting 3 avios on gas and supermarkets per dollar, and 4.5 on flights and 1.5 on everything else.

Depending what you use it to redeem for it can vary from 1.7 cents an avios (according to The Points Guy) to 20 cents (more of an upgrade to upper classes on a flight).

Message 29 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditJim wrote:
I think everyone's missing the point here by telling the OP to get this card or that to combine with a card they already have etc... When the OP has stated they just want to put all spend on one card to save themselves the hassle of sorting through different categories. OP, I put the bulk of my spend on my SPG because they give me great flexibility for transferring to airlines (with a bonus) or being used for great hotel stays. Yes, I might not be maxing out each category as well as I could be by using all my cards but at least I have a lot of valuable SPG points in one place, where it's easy to find 5c/point value, and that's good enough for me without any of the hassles.

+1

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.