cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

People with multiple Cards

tag

People with multiple Cards

Hey guys,

Looking for some guidance from people that have had success rotating the different cards they use every month. Is 3 to many different cards to swap out every month? ( i.e one that handles monthly reoccuring charges, one that is strictly gas and groceries, and one for other monthly expenses) Or should I not use this many cards? Any guidance to your strategy would be greatly appreciated!

PS i will PIF all 3 every month. 

NFCU FLagship $14k | BofA Plat PLUS $2k | Slate $2.5k | USAA Amex $4k | IT $4k | USAA World $7.5k | Citi TYP $4.5k |
EX FICO-762(Jun '13) EQ FICO-762(Jun'13) TU FICO-785(Jun'13)

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

Re: People with multiple Cards

@TransferMony2IRAanitsgone wrote:

Hey guys,

Looking for some guidance from people that have had success rotating the different cards they use every month. Is 3 to many different cards to swap out every month? ( i.e one that handles monthly reoccuring charges, one that is strictly gas and groceries, and one for other monthly expenses) Or should I not use this many cards? Any guidance to your strategy would be greatly appreciated!

PS i will PIF all 3 every month. 

That's actually a great plan!

Honestly, do whatever works for you. Also, do whatever is best for you to gain the most rewards/cash back for your cards. I often use each one of my cards at least once every month, ensuring any bonus categories that I'm spending on are put on the appropriate card. However, it is also a good plan to rotate cards to gain the max rewards/help keep track of your expenses. Paying 6 cards every month isn't always fun! 3 would be a lot more to manage Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 18
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

I do that. As you can see i have plenty of cards to rotate. I always make sure i only spend on each whatever amount i know i will be able to PIF at the end of the month.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 3 of 18
eagles08
Regular Contributor

Yeah as long as you PIF it doesn't matter. Pick your favorite, for me it was my BCE until I got the PRG. Ok use that for everything except bonus categories! So right now Discover is gas. Ill use Discover for gas, BCE everything else! When freedom had restaurants I used that when I ate out an then the BCE for gas groceries, etc. whatever maximizes your rewards. Right now I'm going to use PRG for everything literally to meet the spending for bonus points! After then I can start switching up cards again based on categories. Otherwise ill buy lunch with a different card from time to time just to keep em active.
AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 4 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I use cc's based on the bonus being offered ie rotating categories. For monthly bills, I use a basic 1% cc. PRG gets everything else
Message 5 of 18

Awesome. So as far as which cards are in my wallet at any given, im taking them according to whats gonna give most back. Now that im PIF I wont have reports of multiple cards with balances, right? Thats only if I allow it to roll over to the next month?

NFCU FLagship $14k | BofA Plat PLUS $2k | Slate $2.5k | USAA Amex $4k | IT $4k | USAA World $7.5k | Citi TYP $4.5k |
EX FICO-762(Jun '13) EQ FICO-762(Jun'13) TU FICO-785(Jun'13)

Message 6 of 18
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

3 is what I use on a daily basis. I have my Amex BCP for my 6% groceries, Sallie Mae for my 5% gas and 5% Amazon and my Fidelity Amex for 2% on everything else.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 7 of 18
eagles08
Regular Contributor

Yeah, as long as you PIF before the statement cuts! That's not to be confused with the actual due date!
AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 8 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@TransferMony2IRAanitsgone wrote:

Awesome. So as far as which cards are in my wallet at any given, im taking them according to whats gonna give most back. Now that im PIF I wont have reports of multiple cards with balances, right? Thats only if I allow it to roll over to the next month?

You need to PIF BEFORE the statement cuts to avoid balance reporting.   If you pay after, you will show multiple cards with balances.  So long as you pay by the due date, there is no interest, but it has some impact on your credit score compared to paying before the statement cuts.

Really only matters if you plan to app, as there are also costs involved in paying early.

Message 9 of 18
sccredit
Valued Contributor

I have tried to balance spending to max bonus categories among different cards.  In the last 12 months I have over $3k in rewards.  The downside of that is I have had to use a spreadsheet to keep track of the number of cards.  At this point I have decided to trim it down to a couple of cards (mainly Freedom and CSP) for spending and put the others away.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.