cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perfect example for using credit cards over cash...

tag
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Perfect example for using credit cards over cash...

Admittedly, I have a shoe addiction....

Last week I splurged and purchased 3 pairs of shoes (from two shoe retailers) using a credit card. One pair came in mail over the weekend, and I forced myself not to open it and take back to store. Took them back today at lunch and got refunded back to card. ( yes, I am keeping the other two pair)

Moral of the story, since I used my credit card to feed my addiction, I didn't tie up any cash. And by the time my payment is due, it will be as though my splurge never happened!

See....credit cards are good!
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Perfect example for using credit cards over cash...

Message 2 of 12
dodfire
Valued Contributor

It sounds to me as if some PRE planning was done here....!!! Smiley Happy

*8/10/13
Message 3 of 12
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

I always do this...
I'll buy a lot of clothes in a hurry, then once I have the time...I'll try them on and return whatever doesn't fit.
:-) helps when you have lines of credit to your favorite stores!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 12
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

The problem was that it was NOT pre-planned....rofl.  Now that spring has sprung, I'm excited to pull out the spring pumps, and heels for work.  Fortunately, I felt really guilty after the second purchase, so I decided to just return the pair that I know would not get much wear.   In the store today it dawned on me that none of these transactions actually impacted my cashflow.  LOL

Two new pairs should get me through the end of May...after that, I will be itching for some new summer sandals.  *yes, i know i have a problem*

I just wanted to point a little known credit card benefit for those of us who have shopping addictions.  LOL  If you give in to the urge to splurge, you have time to stew over your purchase before it impacts your cashflow.

Smiley Very Happy

AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 5 of 12
jsucool76
Super Contributor

If you steal the shoes, there's no issue no matter what you pay with... Cause you're not paying...

Problem solved

/Thread
Message 6 of 12
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

So, you're saying to enter the store barefooted, and leave wearing the shoes?

I suppose if someone stops you and asks where you got those shoes from, you would say "Nike"?

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 7 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@frugalQ wrote:

The problem was that it was NOT pre-planned....rofl.  Now that spring has sprung, I'm excited to pull out the spring pumps, and heels for work.  Fortunately, I felt really guilty after the second purchase, so I decided to just return the pair that I know would not get much wear.   In the store today it dawned on me that none of these transactions actually impacted my cashflow.  LOL

Two new pairs should get me through the end of May...after that, I will be itching for some new summer sandals.  *yes, i know i have a problem*

I just wanted to point a little known credit card benefit for those of us who have shopping addictions.  LOL  If you give in to the urge to splurge, you have time to stew over your purchase before it impacts your cashflow.

Smiley Very Happy

Smiley Very Happy

I have an electronics adiction......one of the WORST ones to have!!! Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 12
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@jsucool76 wrote:
If you steal the shoes, there's no issue no matter what you pay with... Cause you're not paying...

Problem solved

/Thread

I know you're not really advocating this, right?

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 12
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

Problem solved

/Thread

This thread made me haha.  But this comment made me LOL.  haha

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.