Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perhaps a myFICO Recommendation?

tag
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

Perhaps a myFICO Recommendation?

Okay, for quite a few months our great forums have been disrupted with many fabricated stories. Unfortunately, the current Terms and Conditions on myFICO have nothing to limit such behavior...instead they easily protect the lies. That is why I have an idea that would probably benefit all on myFICO. Given the fact that the forums help thousands of people with their credit...there should be some basic responsibilities to make sure people can help eacah other with accurate info. Although some people shouldn't read/trust everything that is on the internet...some people do it anyways. The issue is that when it has something to do with credit...trusting someone can end up costing them thousands of dollars if they are fooled by these fabricators. Sites like Credit Karma have account verification. So I believe myFICO should implent something similar. Perhaps myFICO should create an opt-in feature that would actually say you are an official card holder (It doesn't disclose your account information but rather just states you have it on your records). I believe this would help prevent those under age from using the forums as a toy but also weed out the possible trolls. I find that it would also reduce the amount of bickering on the threads as things often get out of hand. In addition, it would be easier for new members to display their signatures and perhaps the generic images of their cards without having to worry about editing images and adjusting sizes, etc. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: Perhaps a myFICO Recommendation?

+1, yes I agree. I like how Credit Karma shows whether or not the commenter is a verified car holder or not. Great Idea!
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 2 of 32
beb86
Valued Contributor

We tend to use the honor system here and it is normally pretty easy to figure out who is fabricating a story or not and hey if it is your lot in life to impress a bunch of people on the internet with your fake stories than more power to you..Thats my thoughts about that.

Message 3 of 32
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@CC365 wrote:

Okay, for quite a few months our great forums have been disrupted with many fabricated stories. Unfortunately, the current Terms and Conditions on myFICO have nothing to limit such behavior...instead they easily protect the lies. That is why I have an idea that would probably benefit all on myFICO. Given the fact that the forums help thousands of people with their credit...there should be some basic responsibilities to make sure people can help eacah other with accurate info. Although some people shouldn't read/trust everything that is on the internet...some people do it anyways. The issue is that when it has something to do with credit...trusting someone can end up costing them thousands of dollars if they are fooled by these fabricators. Sites like Credit Karma have account verification. So I believe myFICO should implent something similar. Perhaps myFICO should create an opt-in feature that would actually say you are an official card holder (It doesn't disclose your account information but rather just states you have it on your records). I believe this would help prevent those under age from using the forums as a toy but also weed out the possible trolls. I find that it would also reduce the amount of bickering on the threads as things often get out of hand. In addition, it would be easier for new members to display their signatures and perhaps the generic images of their cards without having to worry about editing images and adjusting sizes, etc. Any thoughts?

It's a good idea, but I use common sense and always take any info I get from this forum or any other forum with a grain of salt for the most part. I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt, but I always do much more research on making any decisions than just simply asking a question on a public board and going by what is said in the replies.

I can say I have learned a lot from this site, and it has been very helpful for me but it is only one part of the process in gathering information and it is up to me being a responsible adult to realize that not everything I read will be accurate and must double/triple check things by researching other venues, etc.

With that said, I don't think it would hurt any to have some sort of "verified member" status or something. To show legitimate people on here. Of course paying attention to post count, join date, and checking previous posts/threads of members is a really simple way of doing just that also.

Learning from my past and rebuilding..

BK discharged 1/10/17
scores: EQ 659 | TU 630 | EX 659

QS 3.8K | WF 500 | Cabela's 3k | ACU 500 |

Message 4 of 32
beb86
Valued Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

@CC365 wrote:

It's a good idea, but I use common sense and always take any info I get from this forum or any other forum with a grain of salt for the most part. I'd like to give the benefit of the doubt, but I always do much more research on making any decisions than just simply asking a question on a public board and going by what is said in the replies.

I can say I have learned a lot from this site, and it has been very helpful for me but it is only one part of the process in gathering information and it is up to me being a responsible adult to realize that not everything I read will be accurate and must double/triple check things by researching other venues, etc.

With that said, I don't think it would hurt any to have some sort of "verified member" status or something. To show legitimate people on here. Of course paying attention to post count, join date, and checking previous posts/threads of members is a really simple way of doing just that also.

haha with my reg date of 2k11 and on the verge of 1k post I feel like an "ol dog" around here lol

Message 5 of 32
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@beb86 wrote:

@j_casteel wrote:

@CC365 wrote:

haha with my reg date of 2k11 and on the verge of 1k post I feel like an "ol dog" around here lol

yeah, i had originally joined back in 2009 but never posted and just read a lot of the threads. Then when i started using it last year I had issues with my account b/c i forgot about the one i started over 3 years ago. So the CSR just deleted my old one and had me start a new one. It helped b/c I was trying to purchase SW and it wouldn't let me b/c it said my info belonged to a different user. Since last year i've really became more in tuned to my credit file and owe a lot to the legit members on here that are here to help. I'm still on here daily, but may not post that much. Just trying to continue to learn more and maybe even perhaps offer some help to others when i can.

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 6 of 32
beb86
Valued Contributor

J.

Yeah I agree I mean you have to take info given on this site with a grain of salt and learn to do your due diligence. But yes there is SO much knowledge given on here that if one catches it early on in life can save them a lot of money and heartache in life..Just wish I could have stumbled on it sooner.

Message 7 of 32
j_casteel
Valued Contributor

@beb86 wrote:

J.

Yeah I agree I mean you have to take info given on this site with a grain of salt and learn to do your due diligence. But yes there is SO much knowledge given on here that if one catches it early on in life can save them a lot of money and heartache in life..Just wish I could have stumbled on it sooner.

Couldn't agree more...I'm only 28 so I still have time to repair my credit and get back on track by my 30s, but I wish I would've stumbled across this site several years ago when I was being irresponsible with my finances so that I could've learned the negative impacts that would happen. Also, being taught responsible spending, budgeting, financial habits, etc by my parents would've helped out as well. Oh well, I'm learning now and getting back on track.

BK discharged 1/10/17

Message 8 of 32
beb86
Valued Contributor

@j_casteel wrote:

@beb86 wrote:

J.

Couldn't agree more...I'm only 28 so I still have time to repair my credit and get back on track by my 30s, but I wish I would've stumbled across this site several years ago when I was being irresponsible with my finances so that I could've learned the negative impacts that would happen. Also, being taught responsible spending, budgeting, financial habits, etc by my parents would've helped out as well. Oh well, I'm learning now and getting back on track.

yeah thats another thing about here is that a good amount of us had to rebuild at one point or another so we are great on knowing what NOT to do with credit and seem to respect/fear credit a little more.

Message 9 of 32
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Excellent post! I, for one would have no problem with the "verified member" status.   It might be easy to figure out who may or may not be full of it but if there is something that makes it a little easier; why not?

True it will not stop all of it but it might deter some. 

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.