Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perhaps a myFICO Recommendation?

tag
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Re: Perhaps a myFICO Recommendation?

How does CK do it?  As far as I can see from my credit report, you can tell that I got a credit card from the WrongSideofTheTracks Bank in May 2011, with a credit limit of $900 (and of course my payment history), but is there anything there that says if it is the SteelRazorShaaarp card or just the plain InYourFaceClassic?

Knowing that a user has *a* Citi card doesn't really help you judge if his/her statements on the CLI proccess for the Citi Forward are likely to be correct

Message 11 of 32
beb86
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

How does CK do it?  As far as I can see from my credit report, you can tell that I got a credit card from the WrongSideofTheTracks Bank in May 2011, with a credit limit of $900 (and of course my payment history), but is there anything there that says if it is the SteelRazorShaaarp card or just the plain InYourFaceClassic?

Knowing that a user has *a* Citi card doesn't really help you judge if his/her statements on the CLI proccess for the Citi Forward are likely to be correct

Probably similar to there scoring algorithm..Doesn't make any sense LOL.

Message 12 of 32
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

CK allows you to set up your account info via preferences for the bank but I believe they also have some specific way of linking it through which link you apply through.  Judging from your registered date you weren't here when we had a few "posters" claiming to be 20 something years old with a million dollars in CLs and a Centurion Amex. The issue isn't about the statements they make on a specific account/etc but rather if they even have any personal knowledge. For example, we have a poster that has been crying AA, banks are the worse, etc but goes around to others stating a low score, etc and claims to have been with PenFed and so on. This person probably has nothing other than a shattered ego while bashing others and encouraging others that he knows all. Therefore, if a new member were to see someone who is verified to have a bank relationship they would be more inclined to compare profiles as opposed to someone claiming they are "in with said bank", etc just applying at random which in turn hurts them when they get bad results from applying based on the recommendations of a liar. 

Message 13 of 32
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I like this idea of having a way to verify the cards we have on record. We've been having too many fairy tales recently around the boards. I guess this could be another way of helping discern the lies from the reality. Trolls are out there and they are hungry! So don't feed them.
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 14 of 32
beb86
Valued Contributor

back in the day we used to post pics of our CC collection and you can still post a screen shot from CK with your accounts but that will only show issuer and CL 

Message 15 of 32
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

you can Completely edit the card image and name on the ck accounts list. It's not a reliable way of proving a relationship hehe
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 16 of 32
beb86
Valued Contributor

@CruzImperial wrote:
you can Completely edit the card image and name on the ck accounts list. It's not a reliable way of proving a relationship hehe

That just seems like so much work to lie....Dont get it

Message 17 of 32
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

@beb86 wrote:

@CruzImperial wrote:

That just seems like so much work to lie....Dont get it

Nothing is 100% proof but if you have a Discover, Amex, etc on your report and it was verified it would be enough to justify it but as it stands now you can claim you have some $10Million Credit with a bank that isn't even on you report...which is the issue. If someone is willing to go through the edit process to try and lie...they have way too much time on their hands and a few other issues Smiley Very Happy

Message 18 of 32
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@CC365 wrote:

@bs6054 wrote:

CK allows you to set up your account info via preferences for the bank but I believe they also have some specific way of linking it through which link you apply through.  Judging from your registered date you weren't here when we had a few "posters" claiming to be 20 something years old with a million dollars in CLs and a Centurion Amex. The issue isn't about the statements they make on a specific account/etc but rather if they even have any personal knowledge. For example, we have a poster that has been crying AA, banks are the worse, etc but goes around to others stating a low score, etc and claims to have been with PenFed and so on. This person probably has nothing other than a shattered ego while bashing others and encouraging others that he knows all. Therefore, if a new member were to see someone who is verified to have a bank relationship they would be more inclined to compare profiles as opposed to someone claiming they are "in with said bank", etc just applying at random which in turn hurts them when they get bad results from applying based on the recommendations of a liar. 

Right, so basically unless the user applied for the card through CK there is no way to link to a specific card.  I guess your threshold is lower, better to know that they have SOME credit experience.  Not sure.  (I know at least some of the individuals you refer to)

I really don't like the idea of "forcing", even optionally, some form of registration.   People's views are just that, people's views.   I often disagree with equally experienced people here, and I don't know how verifying accounts would make it any easier to know who is right (the one who got the card the earliest?).  And, to be frank, a LOT of what is discussed here is not based on any facts (Barclays will close your account if you apply for other cards, card X is harder to get than card Y ALWAYS etc).  Most of it is unscientific inference from small biased samples.  And THAT'S FINE because it can be a lot of fun round here.  But anyone who is making serious credit decisions based on a bunch of anonymous posters of unknown credentials is being very foolish.   [Edit" To be clear, credentials doesn't mean "what cards I have".  You can be a total jerk and have any set of cards!] Just like most other places on the internet.

Message 19 of 32
Open123
Super Contributor

More often than not, we can discern and judge the merits of poster's input by merely reading a few posts.

I've never thought about what cards a poster has or doesn't have when forming a personal view on the merits of a post.  I doubt a card profile will influence what I think or the value I find in a post one way or the other.

An insightful post stands on its own merits irrespective of whether or not a poster has any cards, let alone "good" ones.  Equally, an irreverent post isn't made any better even if the Poster has a Centurion for each hand.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.